Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-13-2016, 07:59 PM   #15
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Cant say I have ever heard of an issue. I have owned LS1/2/3 and never had any issues. LS1&2 were cammed. Only 23k on the Camaro. Guess time will tell.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:25 AM   #16
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
shibbs,

What catch can are you running and how is it configured? Can you post pictures?

We should be able to guide you.

On valve seals, rare to see stock ones fail, ever. Now when valve springs are changed you generally damage the original ones so installing new ones is standard, but what your describing does not sound valve seal related, more proper crankcase evacuation related.

Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:46 AM   #17
Jasper

Drives: 2011 Summit White Camaro SS (LS3)
Just hijacking a bit to ask whether it's bad to engine brake alot. I do it quite a bit and sometimes from a higher rpm. If bad, I will stop!

J
Old 06-14-2016, 11:54 AM   #18
Gearheaded

Drives: 2014 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
Just hijacking a bit to ask whether it's bad to engine brake alot. I do it quite a bit and sometimes from a higher rpm. If bad, I will stop!

J
It's excess wear on the engine and tranny. I wouldn't do it very much. Brakes are cheaper than motors
2009 YZF R1 - Race bike (road course)(totaled racing)
2008 YZF R6 - Race bike (road course)(still own)
Gearheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 12:21 PM   #19
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Engineering View Post
shibbs,

What catch can are you running and how is it configured? Can you post pictures?

We should be able to guide you.

On valve seals, rare to see stock ones fail, ever. Now when valve springs are changed you generally damage the original ones so installing new ones is standard, but what your describing does not sound valve seal related, more proper crankcase evacuation related.

That's how I have my CC configured. This is the catch can I'm using. (Did NOT pay that much, lol) It's baffled inside, and catches a fair amount of junk, albeit I'm not that hard on my car.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 12:49 PM   #20
Jasper

Drives: 2011 Summit White Camaro SS (LS3)
Thanks. I'm relatively new to the manual trans and always thought it was normal to use engine brake instead of so much regular braking. The civics do it all the time so it must be okay right?
Old 06-14-2016, 03:23 PM   #21
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
Thanks. I'm relatively new to the manual trans and always thought it was normal to use engine brake instead of so much regular braking. The civics do it all the time so it must be okay right?
The sound of a V8 coasting down is addictive The civic
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 04:17 PM   #22
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The sound of a V8 coasting down is addictive The civic
You don't like the sound of bees in a can?

OP I would check around the valve covers and see if you can notice any oil coming out that might be burning up. I spilt oil during my last oil change and it took a day or two for the smell to fully go away so maybe there's a small leak and a bit of oil is seeping out
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:22 PM   #23
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
You don't like the sound of bees in a can?

OP I would check around the valve covers and see if you can notice any oil coming out that might be burning up. I spilt oil during my last oil change and it took a day or two for the smell to fully go away so maybe there's a small leak and a bit of oil is seeping out
I've looked. Top, sides, and bottom. No leaks, aside from the tiniest of tiny bit of weeping from my front crank seal that's gotten no worse in 5000 miles. I'm going to foam the entire engine bay anyway, just because it needs it.

I'm convinced it's a crankcase vent issue, but I have no idea how it can be. I'm at a loss.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:26 PM   #24
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Are you engine braking when you are coasting?
Is this an issue?

I engine brake in most instances till I get close to stopping, I even rev match for fun, and I love hearing that burble on decel.
NC_SS is offline   Reply With Quote