The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2021, 01:46 PM   #43
Silver14

Drives: 2014 SIM 2SS
Regulate does not equal approve.

https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consum...y-fda-approved
"FDA doesn’t approve tobacco products. There’s no such thing as a safe tobacco product, so FDA’s safe and effective standard for evaluating medical products is not appropriate for tobacco products. Instead, FDA regulates tobacco products based on a public health standard that considers the product’s risks to the population as a whole."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...es/5618306001/
Old 08-31-2021, 02:26 PM   #44
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Yeah both sides of every situation tries to fear monger and it sucks.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
Old 08-31-2021, 04:31 PM   #45
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver14 View Post
Regulate does not equal approve.

"FDA doesn’t approve tobacco products. There’s no such thing as a safe tobacco product, so FDA’s safe and effective standard for evaluating medical products is not appropriate for tobacco products. Instead, FDA regulates tobacco products based on a public health standard that considers the product’s risks to the population as a whole."
I'd have to argue that is mumbo-jumbo double speak.

Either they are allowed to sell them ("approved under certain conditions") or banned (like "recreational drugs').

approve
[əˈpro͞ov]
VERB
officially agree to or accept as satisfactory.
"the budget was approved by Congress"

synonyms:
accept · agree to · consent to · assent to · acquiesce in · concur in · accede
to · [more]

believe that someone or something is good or acceptable.
"I don't approve of the way she pampers my father and brothers"
Old 08-31-2021, 05:12 PM   #46
Silver14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 imp View Post

Either they are allowed to sell them ("approved under certain conditions") or banned (like "recreational drugs').

approve
[əˈpro͞ov]
VERB
officially agree to or accept as satisfactory.
"the budget was approved by Congress"

synonyms:
accept · agree to · consent to · assent to · acquiesce in · concur in · accede
to · [more]

believe that someone or something is good or acceptable.
"I don't approve of the way she pampers my father and brothers"
You can google phrases like “difference between FDA approval and regulations” if you’d like to see how the words are used in the context of the FDA instead of the dictionary definition.

Did you find a definition that lists regulate as a synonym of approve?
Old 08-31-2021, 05:35 PM   #47
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

The dictionary is what we use to define words. You can call an apple an orange all you want. It is still an apple by definition.

The government is pretty powerful, but they do not have the power to change the meanings of words (although they try really hard sometimes)....
Old 08-31-2021, 05:58 PM   #48
Silver14

Quote:
The dictionary is what we use to define words. You can call an apple an orange all you want. It is still an apple by definition.

The government is pretty powerful, but they do not have the power to change the meanings of words (although they try really hard sometimes)....
I agree dictionaries are used to define words. The definition you provided doesn’t list regulate as a synonym for approve. You can call approve regulate all you want.

FDA approval means the agency has determined that the benefits of the product outweigh the known risks for the intended use. FDA regulations are the laws set forth in the Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act.
Old 08-31-2021, 06:26 PM   #49
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by samman11 View Post
Here's my take on this, my opinion. Why is it that during this resurgence, almost all of the people hospitalized were/are unvaccinated? Hmmmm, what does that tell you? It tells ME that the unvaccinated are vulnerable to the virus, and that they are also spreading it to other unvaccinated individuals. Hence, the spike in cases mainly in areas where the vaccination rate was LOW. Hmmmmm. Do you think there's a correlation? I do! Would the U.S. be going through this resurgence if the vaccination rate were 80% or higher? I doubt it. It appears to me that this is common sense. Sorry, one can't say it's a "personal choice" if that choice effects others as well. Which it clearly does, as we have seen. No, there are no guarantees that you won't have some side effect. However, millions of people have taking the shot and we are not walking around turning into Zombies, as some have claimed. Years ago, we never saw this type of push back to vaccines that our medical community stated was ok to take. Why now? Hmmmm, I wonder why. Keep listening to Fox news. When you or your loved ones are dying, like many are, you too will be saying, "I wish I got the shot!" Too late then!!!!!!
What do these people have in common? They chose to be unvaccinated. Hmmmmm. They’ve made their choice for personal reasons.

I got vaccinated so I could get on with my life and be left alone.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
Old 08-31-2021, 07:48 PM   #50
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Here's my take on this, my opinion. Why is it that during this resurgence, almost all of the people hospitalized were/are unvaccinated? Hmmmm, what does that tell you? It tells ME that the unvaccinated are vulnerable to the virus, and that they are also spreading it to other unvaccinated individuals. Hence, the spike in cases mainly in areas where the vaccination rate was LOW. Hmmmmm. Do you think there's a correlation? I do! Would the U.S. be going through this resurgence if the vaccination rate were 80% or higher? I doubt it. It appears to me that this is common sense. Sorry, one can't say it's a "personal choice" if that choice effects others as well. Which it clearly does, as we have seen. No, there are no guarantees that you won't have some side effect. However, millions of people have taking the shot and we are not walking around turning into Zombies, as some have claimed. Years ago, we never saw this type of push back to vaccines that our medical community stated was ok to take. Why now? Hmmmm, I wonder why. Keep listening to Fox news. When you or your loved ones are dying, like many are, you too will be saying, "I wish I got the shot!" Too late then!!!!!!
Israel has nearly 90% vaccination rate and a massive surge of Delta variants. Completely dismisses your argument.
Old 08-31-2021, 08:13 PM   #51
strykerg8gt

Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Quote:
I agree with your evaluation. What I'd like to see is insurance companies and hospitals telling anyone who is unvaccinated that if they need medical treatment due to catching Covid-19, that they will not be covered and must pay out of pocket for care and that they cannot take up ICU space that is needed for patients with other conditions.

Kinda ironic that the same people in the ICU with Covid-19 receiving medical treatment are also the ones that said they can't trust science. 🤔
Old 08-31-2021, 08:30 PM   #52
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
Israel has nearly 90% vaccination rate and a massive surge of Delta variants. Completely dismisses your argument.
90%? where did you get this info?

https://graphics.reuters.com/world-c...tories/israel/

Vaccination
"Israel has administered at least 13,614,101 doses of COVID vaccines so far. Assuming every person needs 2 doses, that’s enough to have vaccinated about 75.2% of the country’s population."

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
Old 08-31-2021, 11:47 PM   #53
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver14 View Post
I agree dictionaries are used to define words. The definition you provided doesn’t list regulate as a synonym for approve. You can call approve regulate all you want.

FDA approval means the agency has determined that the benefits of the product outweigh the known risks for the intended use. FDA regulations are the laws set forth in the Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act.
There's no reason to argue about it.

If tobacco meets their "regulated" conditions it is "approved" to be sold.
If tobacco does NOT meet their "regulated" conditions then it is banned from being sold.

----------------------------------------------------
By definition, the FDA regulates EVERYTHING under its authority....

regulate
[ˈreɡyəˌlāt]
VERB

control or supervise (something, especially a company or business activity) by means of rules and regulations.

"the organization that regulates fishing in the region"
synonyms:
supervise · oversee · police · superintend · monitor · check (up on) · keep an eye on · inspect · administer · be responsible for · control · manage · direct · guide · govern · rule · order

set (a clock or other apparatus) according to an external standard.
"the standard time by which other clocks were regulated"
synonyms:
adjust · fix · set · set right · set to rights · standardize · normalize · calibrate · fine-tune · make good · put in working order · overhaul
Old 09-01-2021, 12:08 AM   #54
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by strykerg8gt View Post
I agree with your evaluation. What I'd like to see is insurance companies and hospitals telling anyone who is unvaccinated that if they need medical treatment due to catching Covid-19, that they will not be covered and must pay out of pocket for care and that they cannot take up ICU space that is needed for patients with other conditions.

Kinda ironic that the same people in the ICU with Covid-19 receiving medical treatment are also the ones that said they can't trust science. ��
2x as many people died from heart disease than from Covid in 2020.

Why aren't you complaining about the fat people eating Twinkies and not exercising because they are burdening the healthcare system way more than any other group?

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7014e1.htm

Last edited by 95 imp; 09-01-2021 at 12:32 AM.
Old 09-01-2021, 06:44 AM   #55
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by strykerg8gt View Post

Kinda ironic that the same people in the ICU with Covid-19 receiving medical treatment are also the ones that said they can't trust science. ��
If I were in my teens, twenties, thirties or planned to have children, I wouldn't get vaccinated either. They have valid scientifically supported reasons not to.

The word "Science" has been used as a political bludgeon to dismiss and silence "rigorous skepticism about what is observed" as the exploration of science demands. Neat little technique that has been used in more more than one area of "debate". When someone uses the "Science" line, like you just did, I distrust them immediately.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
Old 09-01-2021, 06:47 AM   #56
Silver14

Quote:
Quote:
There's no reason to argue about it.

If tobacco meets their "regulated" conditions it is "approved" to be sold.
If tobacco does NOT meet their "regulated" conditions then it is banned from being sold.

----------------------------------------------------
By definition, the FDA regulates EVERYTHING under its authority....

regulate
[ˈreɡyəˌlāt]
VERB

control or supervise (something, especially a company or business activity) by means of rules and regulations.

"the organization that regulates fishing in the region"
synonyms:
supervise · oversee · police · superintend · monitor · check (up on) · keep an eye on · inspect · administer · be responsible for · control · manage · direct · guide · govern · rule · order

set (a clock or other apparatus) according to an external standard.
"the standard time by which other clocks were regulated"
synonyms:
adjust · fix · set · set right · set to rights · standardize · normalize · calibrate · fine-tune · make good · put in working order · overhaul
Thank you for posting the definition showing they are separate words with separate meanings and usages. Interesting approach to make a semantic argument then provide evidence that undermines it...
An item can be regulated by the FDA and not have FDA Approval.

Quote:
2x as many people died from heart disease than from Covid in 2020.

Why aren't you complaining about the fat people eating Twinkies and not exercising because they are burdening the healthcare system way more than any other group?

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7014e1.htm
I assume there would be more complaints if obesity, hypertension, high cholesterol, etc., were as contagious as COVID.
Closed Thread