Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-31-2019, 07:34 AM   #1
Snakebt6

Drives: Rally Green 2020 ZL1 1LE A10
Certainly Not Happy About This

For all the fun and enjoyment I get out of my car, its a bit annoying in such prosperous times that GM is laying people off.

I get its a business and decisions have to be made however, still it makes you think as peoples lively hoods and careers have been taken away.

Not sure what the right words are but I wish that the car manufacture that I support and whose products I own and my family owns and enjoys would find a way to repurpose the facility and people that work there.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...rican-workers/

I guess its a bit weird to brag on a great product and enjoy a great car but know that they are laying people off at the same time.

I guess I just feel a bit bad about it and wish those that are out of work lots of luck in finding new work.

Last edited by Snakebt6; 07-31-2019 at 08:25 AM.
Snakebt6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 07:43 AM   #2
Baldilocks01SS

Drives: SEARCHING
It's very difficult, i've been through some plant layoffs myself -- in the oil industry, so nothing is safe anymore.

As labor costs and healthcare costs rise and rise, it gets more and more difficult for corporations to build things here. When the UAW demands $40 an hour and on top of that another $40 an hour in benefits, it takes a lot of the bottom line and lets face it, these companies number one priority is to please shareholders.

I think we will see less and less cars made here in the States and Canada by all major manufacturers.
Baldilocks01SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:48 AM   #3
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakebt6 View Post
For all the fun and enjoyment I get out of my car, its a bit annoying in such prosperous times that GM is laying people off.

I get its a business and decisions have to be made however, still it makes you think as peoples lively hoods and careers have been taken away.

Not sure what the right words are but I wish that the car manufacture that I support and whose products I own and my family owns and enjoys would find a way to repurpose the facility and people that work there.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...rican-workers/

I guess its a bit weird to brag on a great product and enjoy a great car but know that they are laying people off at the same time.

I guess I just feel a bit bad about it and wish those that are out of work lots of luck in finding new work.
I would not worry about it. It is hard. I have been laid off so many times. One time for 2.5 years and I raised my daughter by myself with no job. Living off savings and PT jobs.

My company would lay off and hire back twice a year. It is to save money and then when demand increases like the C8, they will get hired back. They might even open another plant since GM will be producing the greatest car ever made in America in the C8.

I like your attitude.

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:53 AM   #4
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Normal business cycle. You don't need staff, you lay them off, reduce overhead cost.

I'm sure if you had business and it was "slow" you would not pay your employee to sit around and play uno or some one not value added activity.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:56 AM   #5
Baldilocks01SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
Normal business cycle. You don't need staff, you lay them off, reduce overhead cost.

I'm sure if you had business and it was "slow" you would not pay your employee to sit around and play uno or some one not value added activity.
Buuuuuuuuut, they used to and that's why they went bankrupt. Here in Delaware when Chrysler and GM had plants, during shutdowns (months at a time), employees would be "laid off" but get 80% of their pay, PLUS unemployment. That's not sustainable or good business sense.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:33 AM   #6
Tyl3r

Drives: Camaro 2LT
Blame the unions for pricing themselves out of the market
Tyl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 05:45 PM   #7
kbob

Drives: 2018 camaro zl1
No that's BS. When all the plants are shut down and no one has a job who is buying their product then? The price to live here is not minimum wage. These vehicles are getting ever more expensive and they move production over seas. They did not lower the price when they got a lower wage work force.
kbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:42 PM   #8
mdmoore23

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyl3r View Post
Blame the unions for pricing themselves out of the market
Certainly seems they do more harm than good in today's work environments.
mdmoore23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 12:04 AM   #9
Yessa
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
This is a long over-due topic ....
Yessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 12:07 AM   #10
North of You

Drives: 2007 Honda Civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmoore23 View Post
Certainly seems they do more harm than good in today's work environments.
Compare CEOs pay vs employees wages since the 40s. It seems that the money is still flowing up to the 1% to the detriment of the middle class.
North of You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 05:40 AM   #11
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Retooling it into an electric motor plant or battery assembly plant may have been an option, but timing was likely off.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:20 AM   #12
harner

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
I'm not happy with GM as a company, lately. Between their design/makeovers (mainly Camaro 6 v2 refresh and new Silverados), upcoming "V" offering, and new Silverado), I'm just not a fan. The C8 is growing on me, but I'm just not happy with where they are headed. Fiats (lol) are starting to look better and better, unfortunately, and I hate the thought of bailing on a brand I've been attached to my entire life. There have always been layoffs and political BS, but lately it has been less than amusing.

Maybe someone should buy GM and start liquidating leadership and cut union ties, then start over. Then maybe bring back Pontiac and Olds. A girl can dream lol
1994 Trans Am LM7/CPT 4L60E/9"
1987 IROC
2006 Silverado
harner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:02 AM   #13
Baldilocks01SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by harner View Post
I'm not happy with GM as a company, lately. Between their design/makeovers (mainly Camaro 6 v2 refresh and new Silverados), upcoming "V" offering, and new Silverado), I'm just not a fan. The C8 is growing on me, but I'm just not happy with where they are headed. Fiats (lol) are starting to look better and better, unfortunately, and I hate the thought of bailing on a brand I've been attached to my entire life. There have always been layoffs and political BS, but lately it has been less than amusing.

Maybe someone should buy GM and start liquidating leadership and cut union ties, then start over. Then maybe bring back Pontiac and Olds. A girl can dream lol
Fiats aren't known for their reliability. Then again, most European brands aren't.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:40 AM   #14
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
These plants are being shutdown because they produce cars that are being eliminated and there is no new car to build there instead. The cars are being eliminated because they don't sell. So instead of expanded factories elsewhere they could use these facilities but until it costs more to build them elsewhere than in the us that won't happen. While cars have gotten more expensive they'd be even more expensive if all production was all US based with UAW wages.

Hell I wish more things were US made also but when so maybe people live paycheck to paycheck it's not really feasible due to increased cost of goods.
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote