Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-16-2014, 02:06 PM   #43
AndrewMinhas

Drives: 2014 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by digdeep0169 View Post
how fast were you going???
Old 10-16-2014, 04:13 PM   #44
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
...insurance company will hit you with surchargeable accident...
Define, please. Not familiar with this term.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:46 PM   #45
AndrewMinhas

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Define, please. Not familiar with this term.

I've never heard of that term either
Old 10-16-2014, 07:58 PM   #46
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
up here in mass if you have an at fault accident it is considered a "Surchargable Accident" meaning you get points add to your license and it goes on your driving record. When you have an at fault accident "Surchargeable accident" on your record your insurance goes up fast. From what I under stand it is a formula that takes all your other info that affects your rates like age where you live where you keep your car at night all the generic stuff that applies to everyone and you get a rate then they take that rate and apply your license number. Which is composed of all your Surchargable offenses such as at fault accidents, moving violations (speeding and other safety violation tickets). Your license number equals out to a surcharge rate 9 is the lowest (don't know why its not 0 its the government who can figure them out) and goes up from there. 9 gets you a discount through most insurance companies as that number goes up you get surcharged above and beyond what you rate would be if you had a clean record.
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:09 PM   #47
TXLS3

Drives: 11' 2ss/rs ls3
You had to be going way faster than 60 on straight road to get smashed up like that. I hydroplaned at 60 on a curve into the guardrail in a honda fit and I drove it away with a dent on the bumper.
Attached Images

Old 10-16-2014, 08:26 PM   #48
Arkios

Drives: 2015 Summit White 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXLS3 View Post
You had to be going way faster than 60 on straight road to get smashed up like that. I hydroplaned at 60 on a curve into the guardrail in a honda fit and I drove it away with a dent on the bumper.
You just got lucky. Have you seen how much body damage a 30mph crash can do if you impact at the right angle? If its a minor momentary hydroplane, you might regain enough control to lightly side swipe a guardrail like you did. If your rear end slides out enough on a slick road, you can lose total control and the laws of physics could have just as easily thrown you into a CONCRETE divider like the OP.

Glad you are OK op. Your Camaro fulfilled its ultimate purpose - it kept you safe.

Traded in my V6 for a V8. She looks pretty similar, but sounds a whole lot different!

Performance Mods:
3.91 rear-dif gears, Solo J-pipe axle-back exhaust, New Era Performance OTR intake, Vitesse throttle controller

Cosmetic / Ergonomic Mods:
SRP racing pedals, APEX skip-shift eliminator, RPI stealth splash guards, Plasti-dipped wheels and bowtie inserts,
Matte black hood spears, rear copo spears, "Le Mans" hash marks, gills, and smoked tail lights / side markers
Arkios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:52 PM   #49
sho928

Drives: Porsche 928 S4, Mustang GT vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXLS3 View Post

Not so, I have lots of hydro planing experience, my 1987 Mustang 5.0 had brand new BFG 255x40-17 on it back in 1992, the back end wanted to come around at 50-mph in the rain, while my Taurus could go as fast as I wanted 80+ in Canada was the median speed at that time.

What I learned is that it is not the tread depth but the width of the tire that gets hydro planing going at low speed.

Front wheel drive is also a big advantage to avoid hydro planing.

Currently my 2010 Legacy with 225x50-17 Bridgestone turanza's are at 1/3 tread depth but not at the wear bars it hydro planes a 60 and the tires spin, but under the same conditions I can get up to 70-mph hydroplane all 4-wheels but the 4-wd keeps it going straight.

Even my 6000-lb SUV with wider than OEM tires and good tread will hydroplane at 60-mph.

I think the Insurance Company will consider this as an unavoidable accident such as spinning out on ice in the winter.

Glad you are OK my Wife's 2001 mustang is 3-star front and 2-star side, I worry and want to get her into a Camaro
sho928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:38 AM   #50
TXLS3

Drives: 11' 2ss/rs ls3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkios View Post
You just got lucky. Have you seen how much body damage a 30mph crash can do if you impact at the right angle? If its a minor momentary hydroplane, you might regain enough control to lightly side swipe a guardrail like you did. If your rear end slides out enough on a slick road, you can lose total control and the laws of physics could have just as easily thrown you into a CONCRETE divider like the OP.

Glad you are OK op. Your Camaro fulfilled its ultimate purpose - it kept you safe.
That's exactky what I hit. Lost the back end spun all the way around and hit the concrete divider dead square where the dent is. I hit it so hard a slid all the way to the other side across 3 lanes after I hit the divider and my seat was broken. You can't tell in the pic but the hatch is about 1" out of alignment. He looks like he hit the wall at 80. I drive 45 in the rain now. Hydroplaining will change the way you drive in any rain. People fly by at 80 in the rain all the time.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:22 PM   #51
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS LS3 VR
Send a message via AIM to AdamEL
Glad you're okay, man. That's all that matters. If she's totaled, definitely go for the SS.
AdamEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:53 AM   #52
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewMinhas View Post
Car hydroplaned and looks totaled
Now one can see it at a better angle

Last edited by oldfriend; 02-22-2015 at 06:30 PM.
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 12:35 PM   #53
Ambush
Rawr!

Drives: Giulia Quadrifoglio, C8 Stingray
alright. i'll be doing 55 when it's wet, from now on.

Retired:
2018 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
2014 Crystal Red Camaro RS
Ambush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 12:38 PM   #54
Yellow Camaro

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS
The million dollar question....was Traction Control on or off?
Yellow Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 01:45 PM   #55
2Carats

Drives: '12 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Wow
Old 10-18-2014, 04:51 PM   #56
AndrewMinhas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Camaro View Post
The million dollar question....was Traction Control on or off?
Of course the traction control was on