Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-29-2019, 01:09 PM   #29
Stingray_2014

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushed View Post
I think you need the upgraded Nav package to get HD radio. Which you can upgrade to for, I think, about $600.
Ugh. Of course NAV is the only option I didn't want since I use Google Maps. Do you know of any way to add the HD radio functionality by chance? I would have paid for NAV had I known this.
Old 08-29-2019, 03:28 PM   #30
Mark R

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
I have that option on my 2018, but I can't get it to work anyway............
Mark R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:32 PM   #31
JD2018_ZL1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray_2014 View Post
Ugh. Of course NAV is the only option I didn't want since I use Google Maps. Do you know of any way to add the HD radio functionality by chance? I would have paid for NAV had I known this.
You have to replace the unit then. In my 19 Silverado it had HD without NAV and I added the GM factory nav. They sell and accessory nav upgrade.

Im guessing to add HD you have to replace the Radio unit. Im sure Infotainment.com could get you settled with that. It weird because The units in 19 are all the same with or without nav. I wonder if they could just turn HD on for you possibly. There is an IOS and IOT only difference is the NAV being turned on.

Should always opt for nav though unless you keep the car forever. Only ike 799 or something.
JD2018_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:42 PM   #32
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcasurvey1 View Post
wow no garage door opener. so ive used the one in my 14 camaro for the last 5 years, i have no idea where my opener went too. anyone know a cost effective way to now open my garage door remotely.
Check with the manufacturer, most of them sell replacement remote units for not much money, then just clip it to your visor.

Cheapest and simplest solution for now.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:43 PM   #33
Stingray_2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD2018_ZL1 View Post
You have to replace the unit then. In my 19 Silverado it had HD without NAV and I added the GM factory nav. They sell and accessory nav upgrade.

Im guessing to add HD you have to replace the Radio unit. Im sure Infotainment.com could get you settled with that. It weird because The units in 19 are all the same with or without nav. I wonder if they could just turn HD on for you possibly. There is an IOS and IOT only difference is the NAV being turned on.

Should always opt for nav though unless you keep the car forever. Only ike 799 or something.
Thank you for the information. It's not worth replacing the entire unit for me. It's just a bit of a let down I suppose.

I hate factory Nav systems with a passion. There are none that I can say I enjoyed using. That's why Android Auto plus Google maps is great.
Old 08-29-2019, 03:46 PM   #34
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luist4498 View Post
Very disappointing to hear this. I was just leaning towards a 19 instead of a slightly used 18. Maybe not now....
Do you like audio in your car? If so, definitely get the 2018 slightly used.

the 2019 ZL1 uses Ethernet AB, and there are no current audio devices like the Nav TV M650 or Pac Amp Pro4 to pull audio from the system, so upgrades will be laborious.

Between the more attractive tail lights, doing away with the homelink and the new Audio codec, 17/18 > 19 if you have the choice
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:53 PM   #35
Luist4498

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Corvette Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfeelgood View Post
Do you like audio in your car? If so, definitely get the 2018 slightly used.

the 2019 ZL1 uses Ethernet AB, and there are no current audio devices like the Nav TV M650 or Pac Amp Pro4 to pull audio from the system, so upgrades will be laborious.

Between the more attractive tail lights, doing away with the homelink and the new Audio codec, 17/18 > 19 if you have the choice
Yeah I was already not feeling the new taillights at all. Why GM...... Why!
Luist4498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 05:04 PM   #36
Crushed

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
Quote:
Thank you for the information. It's not worth replacing the entire unit for me. It's just a bit of a let down I suppose.

I hate factory Nav systems with a passion. There are none that I can say I enjoyed using. That's why Android Auto plus Google maps is great.

To get those options you need to replace the module under the passenger side dash. The install look easy.

https://www.infotainment.com/collect...-radio-upgrade

Its $699. It all depends on how much you want it I guess.
Crushed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 08:12 PM   #37
JD2018_ZL1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro
Quote:

The new 19 Chevy nav is really great honestly. Nothing like the old unit. I have an 18 and hate hat nav badly. My 19 Silverado has the new nav and its great. It has a online search similar to your phone. Has a search bar and it searches online. Its really nice I think it is really good. The new system are android based anyways. They are not QNX.

It really is a step in the right direction. Huge improvement plus the resolution is nice.
JD2018_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:45 AM   #38
Stingray_2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD2018_ZL1 View Post
The new 19 Chevy nav is really great honestly. Nothing like the old unit. I have an 18 and hate hat nav badly. My 19 Silverado has the new nav and its great. It has a online search similar to your phone. Has a search bar and it searches online. Its really nice I think it is really good. The new system are android based anyways. They are not QNX.

It really is a step in the right direction. Huge improvement plus the resolution is nice.
Glad to hear that NAV is getting better. It's been a bane in infotainment existence for a while now. You seem like you have a technical background with these units which is cool. The rest of the unit is great - I just did an update on it to fix some bugs actually. The process was quick and painless. The touch is responsive enough and yes, the resolution is ideal.

Anyway, until NAV catches up to real-time apps like Google Maps, they will have a big hurdle to jump! Sounds like that is the direction we are going though.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:49 AM   #39
Stingray_2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushed View Post
To get those options you need to replace the module under the passenger side dash. The install look easy.

https://www.infotainment.com/collect...-radio-upgrade

Its $699. It all depends on how much you want it I guess.
Thanks! I do wonder about warranty issues. Would the dealer be able to easily tell that I modified my car? Will this change my Sirius ID number or anything?

Thanks for this information.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:14 AM   #40
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcasurvey1 View Post
wow no garage door opener. so ive used the one in my 14 camaro for the last 5 years, i have no idea where my opener went too. anyone know a cost effective way to now open my garage door remotely.
You can add back the home link if you want, its hard work but can be done on 19-20 cars, as long as you don't have a sunroof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOMD View Post
I added the homelink garage door opener to my 1SS. Bought the overhead console from a gm parts supplier, with homelink, and got a wiring harness from gen5diy. Cost a couple hundred bucks but was worth it in the long run, for me.

https://www.gen5diy.com/collections/...melink-harness

or they sell the whole kit

https://www.gen5diy.com/collections/...-home-link-kit
Thank you for the order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobC1983 View Post
This does not work with a 2019 ZL1... they used the power for the rear camera rear view mirror
We get the power from a different point of the car, have it in our 19 1LE with the new mirror.

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
You guys are making this harder than what it is. The Z/28 did not have it either. Stick the remote wherever and move on.
So as you know we have some cars, i have a 19 chevy truck with no home link (for now) and use a hand held remote, and it only works from 10 ft in front of the door, my home link works from 150 ft away.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 04:42 AM   #41
GA1LE

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
We get the power from a different point of the car, have it in our 19 1LE with the new mirror.
So if a 19 ZLE is willing to give up the Onstar buttons, your kit can be installed to add homelink?
GA1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:14 AM   #42
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
You can add back the home link if you want, its hard work but can be done on 19-20 cars, as long as you don't have a sunroof.

Thank you for the order.

We get the power from a different point of the car, have it in our 19 1LE with the new mirror. https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...9#post10560429

So as you know we have some cars, i have a 19 chevy truck with no home link (for now) and use a hand held remote, and it only works from 10 ft in front of the door, my home link works from 150 ft away.
Hmm. You were they one arguing that the 18/19 had the same rear shocks. Until proven wrong which you never admitted. I don’t go by anything you say.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...9#post10560429