Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 08-22-2019, 04:01 AM   #1
Coat-This

Drives: 2019 ZL1, M6
ZL1 Hood Insert / Heat Extractor Install???????

Had to remove my hood insert to wrap it at the last moment. In the process I mixed up the bolts and I'm not sure how it goes back together.

There is a mix of long and short bolts. Approx 10 short and 16 long. Does anyone know where the shorts go?????? I can't find this info anywhere and don't want to run the long bolt thru the hood anywhere, lol.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2019, 05:20 AM   #2
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
See this thread:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=480132
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:35 AM   #3
Coat-This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Thanks. Great write up but no mention of the bolts. He didn't remove the gutter, and no mention of different sizes, so that may mean those were all the same size?????????
Old 08-22-2019, 11:53 AM   #4
JD2018_ZL1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro
some have a dimple on the top not flat, the others ones do not they are totally flat. I did this to replace my hood with the exposed carbon. the flat ones all go around the outer edge. the ones that have the dimple longer ones go in the center section.
JD2018_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:09 PM   #5
JD2018_ZL1

[ATTACH]Name:  IMG_0188.jpg
Views: 1315
Size:  199.8 KB[/ATTACH]
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2019, 12:15 PM   #6
Coat-This

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD2018_ZL1 View Post
some have a dimple on the top not flat, the others ones do not they are totally flat. I did this to replace my hood with the exposed carbon. the flat ones all go around the outer edge. the ones that have the dimple longer ones go in the center section.
Hello:

Not sure what you're talking about. The bolts are the same, just a short and long. There is a pic above.

Thanks
Old 08-22-2019, 12:23 PM   #7
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
I removed mine about 6 months ago to install vinyl and all the bolts were the same length. I remember reading a threat in which the OP was claiming two different size bolts, but I didn't have the same experience.
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:23 PM   #8
JD2018_ZL1

The heads of the bolts look different. One head is completely flat. The other has a little of a dip in it. the short ones go all along the outer edge and the long ones fill the middle section. so you should have 10 short those go on the outer edge. You should have 9 longer those fill the center where the rain tray is.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:15 PM   #9
Coat-This

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD2018_ZL1 View Post
The heads of the bolts look different. One head is completely flat. The other has a little of a dip in it. the short ones go all along the outer edge and the long ones fill the middle section. so you should have 10 short those go on the outer edge. You should have 9 longer those fill the center where the rain tray is.
Yes, 10 shorts and 15 long. So the shorts go around the side and top of pan and longs go everywhere else. I'll try it.

Thanks
Old 08-22-2019, 03:30 PM   #10
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coat-This View Post
Thanks. Great write up but no mention of the bolts. He didn't remove the gutter, and no mention of different sizes, so that may mean those were all the same size?????????
PROMETHEUS said his car has all the same length bolts.

The very last post in that thread by JD2018_ZL1 says:
All the bolts that hold the extractor on are the same length. You can tell bye the head of the bolt what is a long bold or short bolt. The longer bolts have a recess on the head of it while the short ones have no recess and are flush across the top. The rain guard also uses the longer bolts. Just as reference.

So it seems to vary by car... so the factory had different bolts at different times and the assemblers grabbed whatever was dumped in their bins. So maybe it doesn't matter...
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 03:55 PM   #11
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
I took all of them and stood them up on end and not a one of them was bigger than the others.
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 04:15 PM   #12
JD2018_ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
PROMETHEUS said his car has all the same length bolts.

The very last post in that thread by JD2018_ZL1 says:
All the bolts that hold the extractor on are the same length. You can tell bye the head of the bolt what is a long bold or short bolt. The longer bolts have a recess on the head of it while the short ones have no recess and are flush across the top. The rain guard also uses the longer bolts. Just as reference.

So it seems to vary by car... so the factory had different bolts at different times and the assemblers grabbed whatever was dumped in their bins. So maybe it doesn't matter...
Im not sure Mine is an 18 and had the same differing size bolts as the OP. I had to scour the internet to find what went where because I didn't know they were different lengths. There was another post from someone that painted theirs and they also had varied lengths and they just installed them however because they did not take note. I discoed that you have to use the long ones for sure in some places because the material thickness and the nutzercks they use the distance to grab the thread is deeper.

I did what I could and the only common thing I found was the heads of the bolts differ between the lengths. So I used that to find pics on cars .com of ZL1s listed with hood up pics good enough to decipher.

Im OCD like crazy so I couldn't just reinstall them and go to sleep.

I do know for sure I installed them correctly.

I thinks that if some cars had the same bolts they were lal the longer because its not possible to get the shorter Ines in the rain trey and other spots close to the top.
Old 08-23-2019, 03:28 PM   #13
Coat-This

I ended up running the 10 shorts around the outside of the pan. I checked the depth and there are a couple holes that REQUIRE the short bolt. I put all the longer bolts (15) in all the holes that essentially retain the carbon fiber extractor itself and the water block off itself and all was well..

Thanks
Old 08-24-2019, 03:40 PM   #14
Coat-This

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS View Post
I took all of them and stood them up on end and not a one of them was bigger than the others.
All the bolts retaining extractor ARE the same size (long). The bolts retaining the metal pan to the hood are the shorter bolts (outer 10).

Thanks