The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-02-2019, 10:03 AM   #6567
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Eh, yes and no. Mercedes and BMW have both done the same thing with two tiers to their performance brands. It's why you see AMG badges slapped on everything now and odd stuff like "M235i."
This is true. And Cadillac had started to do the same with V-Sport being the “appearance package” version, similar to BMW’s M-sport models like M235i and Lexus F-Sport models. Personally I think it would have made sense for the vehicles previously introduced to have been CT4 V-Sport and CT5 V-Sport and the hottest versions labeled CT4-V and CT5-V, including the Blackwing V8, just as previous generations of Cadillac featured the Northstar system (4.6L DOHC + 4T80e transmission). But they didn’t ask me....
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:07 AM   #6568
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
This is true. And Cadillac had started to do the same with V-Sport being the “appearance package” version, similar to BMW’s M-sport models like M235i and Lexus F-Sport models. Personally I think it would have made sense for the vehicles previously introduced to have been CT4 V-Sport and CT5 V-Sport and the hottest versions labeled CT4-V and CT5-V, including the Blackwing V8, just as previous generations of Cadillac featured the Northstar system (4.6L DOHC + 4T80e transmission). But they didn’t ask me....

Definitely agree with that. But like you said, they didn't ask me.
Old 07-02-2019, 02:07 PM   #6569
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
This is exactly what I meant.

Enthusiasts know the difference between an M-Sport and an actual M car. Same as the AMG designations. 45/63/65 are the serious ones.

No one has ever heard of a Blackwing Cadillac - just a bad decision in my opinion.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 04:13 PM   #6570
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Quote:

If GM really still wanted to use Blackwing as a model name, then pull off what AMG did. You had C63 AMG then you had an even madder C63 AMG Black. So CT5 V-Sport( 400 HP 3.0TT V6), CT5-V( 550 HP Blackwing V8), CT5-V Blackwing( 650 HP version of the Blackwing V8?).......
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:47 AM   #6571
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
GM Authority is reporting no refresh at all until the 3rd gen comes out scheduled in 2023. I'm sure the suits will be huddled in board rooms discussing how they lost 2nd and then 3rd place in the segment in a few years.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:25 AM   #6572
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
GM Authority is reporting no refresh at all until the 3rd gen comes out scheduled in 2023. I'm sure the suits will be huddled in board rooms discussing how they lost 2nd and then 3rd place in the segment in a few years.

As disappointing as that is, there's no denying the midsize twins are still arguably best in class despite their age. Toyota will probably bring a new or refreshed Tacoma to market before 2023 but none of the other midsize offerings are much of a threat.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:43 AM   #6573
snizzle
Recalled user

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
As disappointing as that is, there's no denying the midsize twins are still arguably best in class despite their age. Toyota will probably bring a new or refreshed Tacoma to market before 2023 but none of the other midsize offerings are much of a threat.
No threat.... right now. I think some basics like refreshed heads/tails, LEDs to improve the headlights (which are poor, ask me how I know), perhaps some options the Ranger has like emergency brake assist for the folks that drive while texting, lol. My 2012 Camaro has proximity sensors which weren't available on my 2018 Colorado.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
RX Catch Can
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
Old 07-03-2019, 10:36 AM   #6574
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
It's still hard for me to fathom GM making no changes to the twins until 2023 or later (next gen). Yes I also think that overall, they are best in class, but dang they are going to get awfully stale. Colorado still looks fine to me, considering it has its own unique look, but the Canyon is already getting stale considering it is like a mini 2014 Sierra. That's saying something, because originally I liked the Canyon better but I still feel that in Denali trim, I still think it is the best looking of the two.

I will give them credit, that each year they have added little bits here and there, new infotainment or tech/safety options that weren't there before, so its not like they are just ignoring them altogether. So I guess the staleness is really just from the looks and interior.

My understanding is that the Ranger and Tacoma are expecting all new generations around the same time (22' - 23'). Not sure about Ridgeline or Frontier...I thought Frontier might be coming a tad sooner?

The only one I can think of that may come sooner is the RAM mid-size truck. Speculation is that it will come for MY 2021 or 2022. I have to say, if RAM can make a decent mid-size, with a similar level of exterior and interior look and feel as the fullsize RAMs, I could very easily end up in a RAM.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:17 AM   #6575
FenwickHockey65

The big changes I'd like to see is the 2.7T replacing the 3.6L and push button start. Otherwise I'm still good with the current trucks.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:19 PM   #6576
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
I never got the infatuation with push button start. My dad and I had a new Silverado while his truck was being worked on. We ended up taking it on our trip and neither of us liked the push button start. It was more of an annoyance than anything.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:38 PM   #6577
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I never got the infatuation with push button start. My dad and I had a new Silverado while his truck was being worked on. We ended up taking it on our trip and neither of us liked the push button start. It was more of an annoyance than anything.
I've never liked them either.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:51 PM   #6578
snizzle
Recalled user

I actually like a column shifter too

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
RX Catch Can
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
Old 07-03-2019, 04:50 PM   #6579
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I hate them as a tech, the "key in the on position". As the owner of a car with them, I like them quite a bit. I don't have to ever touch my keys to lock/unlock/start the vehicle. As a husband of a woman who used to wash her standard keys in laundry quite a bit I am not happy as it just made the problem worse because she doesn't even think about keys anymore. SOOO many replaced lost/washed fobs.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:03 PM   #6580
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
I actually like a column shifter too
First time I drove a car with a column shifter, I was about 20 years old shuffling cars at our family Christmas. I hopped into my cousins car and for a minute or so I had no idea how to put it into reverse. Then I remembered that column shifters were things that existed and everything was fine. But for a brief moment, I was thinking about how I could avoid the inevitable ribbing that would come from admitting I couldn't move a car.

On the plus side, least it had a proper key and ignition.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fenwickhockey65, gm questions, questions