The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Past Camaro Fests > 2018 Camaro Fest (VIII)

Old 03-03-2018, 07:49 PM   #71
wrankin
Camaros Of Northwest Ohio

Drives: 2016 Black 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafourche1 View Post
Track Insurance:

https://ontrackinsurance.com/

~$225 - $330 per event based on car value. Pays 90%. Discounts for 3 event packages. 1 day or 3 days, if it is the same event, it is covered for the same cost.
Is CFEST8 with NCM track day, Camarocross and drag racing one event?

Bill
2013 2SS / RS - AGM / Jet Black (sold)
1970 1/2 Z/28 Classic Copper / Tan (sold many years ago)
wrankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:26 AM   #72
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrankin View Post
Is CFEST8 with NCM track day, Camarocross and drag racing one event?

Bill
I do not know. I haven't bought for the July event. Just make the call and ask. I doubt it, as they cover HPDE events. They do not cover racing, TT or open track days.
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:32 AM   #73
Lafourche1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrankin View Post
Maybe this is a dumb question but I'll ask anyway. Is there any drawback to running DOT4 everyday on the street?

Bill
I run Motul RBF 600 everyday. I bleed after every track day. I flush after 3 or 4 track events. It has to do with the number of sessions and how well I was running.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:04 AM   #74
oneredry
HYPER SS

Drives: 2016 Supercharged 2SS
Quote:
I run Motul RBF 600 everyday. I bleed after every track day. I flush after 3 or 4 track events. It has to do with the number of sessions and how well I was running.
how much did you end up flushing through (bottles) say coming from Dot3 to Motul 600 you'll have to bleed the ABS actuator, fill reservoir and bleed calipers.
3400 status 03/07/16 TPW of 03/14/16
4200 status 03/17/16 in transit!
Delivered 03/23/16
2SS Hyper Blue | 6M | NPP | Mag ride | ceramic white Int. | Black out bow ties | P3 Gauge| Front splitter. | 6 pot upgraded brembo brakes. | Magnuson Supercharger/95MM pulley | Rotofab Intake | ZL1 side skirts | HRE FF04 wheels - Michelin PSS4 | ZL1 add ons rock guards and lift points.
| AWE touring - resinated catback with link pipes.
oneredry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:39 AM   #75
Lafourche1

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneredry View Post
how much did you end up flushing through (bottles) say coming from Dot3 to Motul 600 you'll have to bleed the ABS actuator, fill reservoir and bleed calipers.
2 - 1 ltr bottles for full flush

I use the 500Mltr bottles for bleeding afterwards.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:41 AM   #76
wrankin
Camaros Of Northwest Ohio

Drives: 2016 Black 2SS
Quote:
Good info - thank you

Bill
2013 2SS / RS - AGM / Jet Black (sold)
1970 1/2 Z/28 Classic Copper / Tan (sold many years ago)
wrankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:42 PM   #77
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Thanks for this. May I include it as part of the NCM thread when we post it, and put it on our website/facebook page? We'll have other more specific details, as well. All to come very soon!

EDITS/ADDITIONS:

1) We will be using HOD's tech self-inspection sheet. We reserve the right to overrule a self-inspection if we need to for safety.

2) Brake Fluid: The Owners manual recommends a fluid with a 536º boiling point or higher. But figure on DOT4 minimum requirements or better. Many qualify (I, for example, use ATE 200), but ALL are better than factory-fill DOT3. It can boil on you at the end of a hot session. If it's older (1+ years), it'll boil all the sooner.

3) Helmet Requirements: Snell SA2010 or newer (full face or open face are fine)

4) Shorts and short sleeves will be allowed...it's just too hot that time of the year to enforce long pants and sleeves.

5) CLOSED TOE SHOES...NO BOOTS/"Timberlands", no sandals. I'd rather you drove barefoot!

6) ZL1 1LEs (I hope to see more than just mine and Ofer's on the track!! Manufacturer oil requirements for a track day is Mobil1 15W-50. Take that for what it's worth!

BRING WATER, a CHAIR, and possibly some SHADE.
We'll have water available, but bring your own, too - can never have enough!

We'll also post a few videos folks can watch to familiarize themselves with the track/turns.

Gosh - the more I talk about it, the more I can't WAIT!!!
Regarding the helmet, I’ve got a full face helmet that’s been worn about 8-10 times total, but pretty sure it’s Snell 2005. Do I really need to get rid of a basically brand new helmet just to meet the ‘2010 and newer’ requirement?

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:20 PM   #78
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
Regarding the helmet, I’ve got a full face helmet that’s been worn about 8-10 times total, but pretty sure it’s Snell 2005. Do I really need to get rid of a basically brand new helmet just to meet the ‘2010 and newer’ requirement?
We post the current safety standards. According to the Snell Foundation:

The five-year replacement recommendation is based on a consensus by both helmet manufacturers and the Snell Foundation. Glues, resins and other materials used in helmet production can affect liner materials. Hair oils, body fluids and cosmetics, as well as normal "wear and tear" all contribute to helmet degradation. Petroleum based products present in cleaners, paints, fuels and other commonly encountered materials may also degrade materials used in many helmets possibly degrading performance. Additionally, experience indicates there will be a noticeable improvement in the protective characteristic of helmets over a five-year period due to advances in materials, designs, production methods and the standards. Thus, the recommendation for five-year helmet replacement is a judgment call stemming from a prudent safety philosophy.

It is widely accepted that age will deteriorate the materials that actually do the protecting, regardless of number of uses.

So technically? No.

But personally? I would suggest it. Even an SA2010 helmet is 8 years old at this point...I just retired my 2005 model last year.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:29 PM   #79
vtirocz

Quote:
We post the current safety standards. According to the Snell Foundation:

The five-year replacement recommendation is based on a consensus by both helmet manufacturers and the Snell Foundation. Glues, resins and other materials used in helmet production can affect liner materials. Hair oils, body fluids and cosmetics, as well as normal "wear and tear" all contribute to helmet degradation. Petroleum based products present in cleaners, paints, fuels and other commonly encountered materials may also degrade materials used in many helmets possibly degrading performance. Additionally, experience indicates there will be a noticeable improvement in the protective characteristic of helmets over a five-year period due to advances in materials, designs, production methods and the standards. Thus, the recommendation for five-year helmet replacement is a judgment call stemming from a prudent safety philosophy.

It is widely accepted that age will deteriorate the materials that actually do the protecting, regardless of number of uses.

So technically? No.

But personally? I would suggest it. Even an SA2010 helmet is 8 years old at this point...I just retired my 2005 model last year.
Thanks for that info! Just so I’m clear, the SA2010 helmet is a recommendation or a minimum requirement for the NCM road course event? In other words if I show up with my (essentially brand new) SA2005 full face helmet, will I not pass inspection and not be allowed to participate?

Just trying to gauge if the newer rating is “must have” or nice to have.

Thanks!

Old 03-15-2018, 09:03 PM   #80
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
Thanks for that info! Just so I’m clear, the SA2010 helmet is a recommendation or a minimum requirement for the NCM road course event? In other words if I show up with my (essentially brand new) SA2005 full face helmet, will I not pass inspection and not be allowed to participate?

Just trying to gauge if the newer rating is “must have” or nice to have.

Thanks!
No one asked to see the tag in my helmet at either NCM or Beech Bend. I can find out if NCM has a rule of their own...but I'm pretty sure they'll say what I am saying.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:36 PM   #81
vtirocz

Quote:
No one asked to see the tag in my helmet at either NCM or Beech Bend. I can find out if NCM has a rule of their own...but I'm pretty sure they'll say what I am saying.
Thanks! I just don’t want to spend all that money on the event and not be able to race due to helmet not meeting the newer spec.

Old 03-16-2018, 03:56 PM   #82
Tom And Cheryl

Drives: 2013 SS Convertible, ThumperII
Well, when we were at NCM last year I saw a lot of people buying helmets, I think they were out of bunch of sizes by the afternoon, no one ever checked my helmet last year either but mine is a 2010.
Tom And Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 04:04 PM   #83
Lafourche1

For more than a few reasons (safety, fit in car, not having to buy one at the track) I would suggest you look for a Snell 2015 open face on-line. They can be had for ~$150. It is insurance that you haven't just dropped some money for 3 days racing and you cannot because your helmet doesn't meet specs.

I have both an open face and a full face Snell 2015 helmets. Some tracks / sanctioning bodies require a closed face / full face helmet. If there are chances for a parade lap passenger, then I have a helmet to loan.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:58 AM   #84
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I did a event at NCM with MVP and Mark Feffman checked my helmet at pre-registration so depends on whose running the event IMO!
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote