The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-13-2019, 09:33 PM   #1
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Cadillac Reveals Upcoming Electric CUV

Cadillac Shows Brand’s First Fully Electric EV
Cadillac Model Will Be The First Of GM's Next-Generation EVs
General Motors

January 13th, 2019

DETROIT — Cadillac furthered its recent product blitz today with the reveal of the brand’s first EV. This will be the first model derived from GM’s future EV platform. GM announced on Friday that Cadillac will be at the vanguard of the company’s move toward an all-electric future.

“Cadillac’s EV will hit the heart of the crossover market and meet the needs of customers around the world,” said Steve Carlisle, president of Cadillac. “It will represent the height of luxury and innovation while positioning Cadillac as the pinnacle of mobility.”

The Cadillac EV’s name and additional details will be revealed closer to launch. Today’s announcement is part of Cadillac’s aggressive product acceleration announced this week — in addition to revealing the all-new XT6 crossover, the company also hinted at both a future Escalade and an upcoming performance sedan. Overall, Cadillac will introduce new models at the rate of roughly one every six months through 2021.

GM’s future EV platform, which Cadillac will be the first to use, will be flexible, allowing the company to respond quickly to customer preferences with a relatively short design and development lead time. The Cadillac portfolio will eventually benefit from a variety of body styles that can be spun off this architecture.

The most advanced components within this platform are the drive units and battery cells, both of which are being designed for maximum usability throughout GM vehicle lineups in different countries. The EVs can be configured in front-, rear- or all-wheel drive, and the output of their battery systems will be adjustable based on vehicle and customer needs.

Last edited by FenwickHockey65; 01-14-2019 at 08:38 AM.
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:45 PM   #2
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Very cool.

Kind of wish they weren't using Cadillac as the launching pad for their EVs (cause I feel like that will mean they will just be more expensive and sell a lot less....but maybe they just need more time and production runs to get the cost down?).

But I like it. I like the flexibility of the platform.

The reveal EV looks good. Almost looks concept...is it the real deal, or concept?
Old 01-14-2019, 07:25 AM   #3
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
So what's the strategy here? Given the cost of electrification, I guess GM feels they can make an EV profitable in a Cadillac and trickle down the technology to the mainstream brands?

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:39 AM   #4
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Very cool.

Kind of wish they weren't using Cadillac as the launching pad for their EVs (cause I feel like that will mean they will just be more expensive and sell a lot less....but maybe they just need more time and production runs to get the cost down?).

The reveal EV looks good. Almost looks concept...is it the real deal, or concept?

Considering no visible door handles or typical GM production headlights, I'd say concept for now. Maybe they'll surprise us.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:59 AM   #5
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
i thought the electric vehicles should have started with Cadillac all along
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:08 PM   #6
BAMF

Drives: The Tumbler
From what I’ve read, this actually could be the production. I think they said the designers used hidden door handles for this one. And if you look really closely, I think you can see 3 headlights stacked vertically along the vertical LED strip, similar location to where the new Blazer has them. However, I still don’t see side markers.

I have always felt that Cadillac has some of the most beautiful concepts out there, and they don’t always translate that same beauty into their production models. I find this to be REALLY good looking. Even that badge is freaking cool. I’m worried this is still only a concept. I’ll be shocked if the actual production model looks like this.

BAMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:45 PM   #7
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Regarding the concepty-ness of it ... on a 1 to 5 concept car producibility (?) scale I'd rate it at around a 3. Where a 1 is a concept along the lines of 'lets remove the mirrors, give it some fancy paint & call it a concept' and 5 being 'the car of the future will have 2000 hp, be fueled by happy thoughts, and will change its shape according to the weather'.

With this, a few mild to moderate tweaks are about all it would take to get build. Not unlike the El Miraj, Escala, and Sixteen. None of them couldn't get built ... but at the same time, none of them were built either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Very cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
So what's the strategy here? Given the cost of electrification, I guess GM feels they can make an EV profitable in a Cadillac and trickle down the technology to the mainstream brands?
Don't forget that Musk showed everyone that a large number people are willing to pay a premium for an EV if they think its cool. That has to factor into the thinking as well.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:56 PM   #8
BAMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Regarding the concepty-ness of it ... on a 1 to 5 concept car producibility (?) scale I'd rate it at around a 3. Where a 1 is a concept along the lines of 'lets remove the mirrors, give it some fancy paint & call it a concept' and 5 being 'the car of the future will have 2000 hp, be fueled by happy thoughts, and will change its shape according to the weather'.

With this, a few mild to moderate tweaks are about all it would take to get build. Not unlike the El Miraj, Escala, and Sixteen. None of them couldn't get built ... but at the same time, none of them were built either.

Don't forget that Musk showed everyone that a large number people are willing to pay a premium for an EV if they think its cool. That has to factor into the thinking as well.
Solid point you make about the other concepts. Which is pretty upsetting. Cadillac has such beautiful concepts. I wish they would stay a lot closer to them with the production models.

Old 01-14-2019, 06:18 PM   #9
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
The good news for the as yet unnamed electric crossover is that what you see is essentially what you get. According to Zaks, the exterior of the concept is essentially what they expect to produce.
Welp there we go, from the Cadillac Design Director.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:25 PM   #10
BAMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Welp there we go, from the Cadillac Design Director.
Woot!!

Old 01-15-2019, 10:08 AM   #11
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
styling looks like the Range Rover Evoque
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote