The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-11-2019, 09:50 AM   #1
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Oh, it's just a battery change....

I am inclined to believe that there is a front row parking spot in the garage of Hell for whomever engineered the battery system in the Cadillac SRX. It required 4 different socket sizes, pliers, a screwdriver, a rubber mallet, hands smaller than mine, and at least 5% of my engineering degree to change the damn battery.

The fact that it was under 20 degrees was just bonus.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:13 AM   #2
rocket403

Drives: 80 Cutlass 403, 2010 FF RT
GM general mistake as my Ford friend would say
rocket403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:20 AM   #3
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Dammit Barra. Did I do it right?

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:24 AM   #4
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
gotta try to keep the masses coming back to the Stealerships somehow!
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:35 AM   #5
rocket403

Drives: 80 Cutlass 403, 2010 FF RT
Challenger has the perfect location the trunk LOL
rocket403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:59 AM   #6
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
Try changing a battery in a CLS550.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:09 PM   #7
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket403 View Post
Challenger has the perfect location the trunk LOL
so... just like the Camaro.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:17 PM   #8
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
I am inclined to believe that there is a front row parking spot in the garage of Hell for whomever engineered the battery system in the Cadillac SRX. It required 4 different socket sizes, pliers, a screwdriver, a rubber mallet, hands smaller than mine, and at least 5% of my engineering degree to change the damn battery.

As a GM tech for 12 years, I can attest to this. I really do believe that any engineer that plans on having their designs built should be required to do general maintenance on cars for 2 years before their designs can be made into a product. And once a year they are sent to a shop for a week to do more general maintenance on their own designs. I understand that the bean counters have a pretty heavy hand in what makes it into a car as well, and that manufacturing processes need to be taken into account but some things are just assanine how they were assembled it baffles me. I often come across things that would have been much much simpler if they had moved a bolt, put a bolt in from another direction, or changed the entire design completely. I can't count how many people leave complaining that it costs $85 for a head light bulb. The bulb is about $10, but I have to remove your entire bumper to change it. Don't get me wrong, I come across genius level components from time to time that just make life so much easier and cheaper for the customer.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:47 PM   #9
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
As a GM tech for 12 years, I can attest to this. I really do believe that any engineer that plans on having their designs built should be required to do general maintenance on cars for 2 years before their designs can be made into a product. And once a year they are sent to a shop for a week to do more general maintenance on their own designs. I understand that the bean counters have a pretty heavy hand in what makes it into a car as well, and that manufacturing processes need to be taken into account but some things are just assanine how they were assembled it baffles me. I often come across things that would have been much much simpler if they had moved a bolt, put a bolt in from another direction, or changed the entire design completely. I can't count how many people leave complaining that it costs $85 for a head light bulb. The bulb is about $10, but I have to remove your entire bumper to change it. Don't get me wrong, I come across genius level components from time to time that just make life so much easier and cheaper for the customer.

I figure its done because pretty much nobody buys a new car with 'ease of maintenance' as a priority. When buying used? Sure, sometimes. But not new. And most of those pain-in-the-ass things only come up after the warranty expires and likely with a 2nd or maybe 3rd owner. So its not going to cost GM (or any other automaker) extra to pay for the work to be done nor a new sale from an annoyed owner.

Meanwhile, all they get in return for doing a little more design for maintenance is a bit less less griping from mechanics (of both the professional & shade-tree varieties). Thats not worth much.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:32 PM   #10
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
Read somewhere that on the 2019 Ranger you have to put the truck on jacks and remove a wheel to swap the battery. No battery replacement procedure, unless its' an EV, should say "Step 1: Lift the vehicle".
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:05 AM   #11
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post

At least it's not a starter on a Northstar lol
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:25 AM   #12
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxChris View Post
Read somewhere that on the 2019 Ranger you have to put the truck on jacks and remove a wheel to swap the battery. No battery replacement procedure, unless its' an EV, should say "Step 1: Lift the vehicle".
One of the Chrsyler's is already this way, it's an '11 or '12 I think.

One of my old bosses had a car that the battery was under the back seat. In order to change it you had to tear apart the whole back half of the car. First you had to remove the trim along the doors and the back window to access the bolts holding the back part of the seat, then you had to remove the back to gain access to the bolts holding the bottom part of the seat so you can remove it to reach the reach the battery.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:37 PM   #13
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxChris View Post
That was actually to get to the oil filter for doing an oil change...not the battery.

Now, new reports are saying you don't *really* have to remove the wheel, but you do have to turn the wheel all the way one direction to access a panel to get to the oil filter. Doesn't seem much better.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:09 PM   #14
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
Nothing surprises me anymore. BMW is worse. Not easy to get to, but the car has to be programmed to the exact size battery installed in the car, and even if you put an identical battery back in, the battery has to be "registered" to the car to tell the charging system there's a new battery in the car. If a new battery isn't registered, it won't last even a year at best, because the car charges a new battery differently than it charges an old battery.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote