The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Ask the Camaro Team

Old 10-15-2018, 08:49 AM   #1
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Launch control stress on driveline.

Probably won't get answered but I would like some information on the launch control feature, not a how to, but the stress it puts on the drivetrain and his recommendations on frequency of use.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 04:19 PM   #2
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Not a bad question
Old 12-10-2018, 11:15 AM   #3
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Probably less than a launch with it off I would imagine.
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:44 AM   #4
RobbyBeefcake87

I would think that a computer controller launch control should be easier on the drivetrain with all the torque management going on. However it definately feels a lot harder on components than slipping the clucth from 2k or so or leaving from idle/close to idle.

I had an elsd issue after a few launch control uses. The issue was most likely related to and stemmed from a botched diff oil change I had the day before but still some info on this would offer peace of mind or provide caution.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:49 AM   #5
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
I would think that a computer controller launch control should be easier on the drivetrain with all the torque management going on. However it definately feels a lot harder on components than slipping the clucth from 2k or so or leaving from idle/close to idle.
Relative to side-stepping the clutch @ 5000 rpm, how much gentler does LC appear to be to you? Does it permit virtually unlimited wheelspin, or does it rein that back in as soon as it senses it (like, maybe even cause a bog)?

Fatigue is a cumulative thing that's sensitive to stress - if at "X" stress you get "Y" number of occurrences, at 2X stress you might only get 0.1Y cycles, possibly fewer than half of that. Frequency of occurrence is irrelevant to fatigue life, but would show up in component life as measured on the calendar.

Norm
Old 12-25-2018, 01:26 AM   #6
RobbyBeefcake87

LC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Relative to side-stepping the clutch @ 5000 rpm, how much gentler does LC appear to be to you? Does it permit virtually unlimited wheelspin, or does it rein that back in as soon as it senses it (like, maybe even cause a bog)?

Fatigue is a cumulative thing that's sensitive to stress - if at "X" stress you get "Y" number of occurrences, at 2X stress you might only get 0.1Y cycles, possibly fewer than half of that. Frequency of occurrence is irrelevant to fatigue life, but would show up in component life as measured on the calendar.

Norm
It's quite a bit gentler than side stepping the clucth. Besides the initial bite (which isn't terrible but you feel it some) it feels kind of gentle relatively speaking and doesn't really allow for much wheel spin. You get a little on unprepped surfaces ofcourse but not much. I've never had it big using launch control, only when I slip it myself and mess up.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.

Tags
diff, drivetrain, elsd, launch control