The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Ask the Camaro Team

Old 06-29-2023, 02:23 PM   #1
NorthGeorgia

Drives: 2018 ZLE, 2023 C8, IMSA MX-5
Compatible and Complimentary Safety Upgrades for Advanced Road Course Driving

First, I have another dedicated race car (IMSA safety prepped w/containment seat and fully caged) which I race W2W. This question is specific to what compatible and complimentary safety upgrades should we consider for a dual-purpose car (ZL1 1LE) that will be both street driven and tracked/time-trialed on road courses by advanced driver?

I understand the liability concerns but there seems to be much opinion and anecdotal editorials on setups vs “tested compatible and complimentary safety upgrades”. While the stock safety systems offer advanced protection, we all know incidents happen on track (sometimes no fault of the driver). Given the incredible performance windows of these fabulous GM platforms, should we evaluate safety upgrades that are compatible and or complimentary to the stock safety systems?

(1) stock DOT (belts and seats) with Simpson hybrid-S HANS tested with DOT 3 point belts,

(2) harness bar w/5-6 point harness + HANS, stock seats or should replace with SFI/FIA

(3) half cage w/5-6 point harness + HANS, stock seats or should replace with SFI/FIA

(4) DOT 4-point w/Anti-Submarine (ASM) certified plus HANS

Option 2 - concern with additional upright retention during rollover and roof collapse.

Option 3 – lots of metal close to the head for non-helmet street days but offered as an option for other OE platforms (GT3).

Option 4 – manufacturer notes that use requires correct rear seat belt attaching geometry to shoulder height and approved seat back strength when using HANS.

I am using option 1 (DOT belts set in retract mode and super tight). However, I find the geometry of the DOT belts and seat position do not always allow the DOT shoulder belt to stay on the Simpson HANS and body movement is still obviously more than in fully prepped race car.

Modern safety features are commendable but would appreciate what you can share on this matter specifically what GM test drivers use for high performance tests (Nürburgring, etc.). The video close-ups seem to depict Option 2 with stock seats.

Or if legalise gets in the way, maybe thoughts on pros and cons with various options ,,,,,

Last edited by NorthGeorgia; 06-29-2023 at 08:52 PM.
NorthGeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote