Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 01-07-2020, 12:54 PM   #1
Jimbeau11

Drives: '18 Black SS 1LE; '01 Corvette Z06
Hoosier R7 vs SC3 R - times vs longevity

I know many of your religiously keep track of your tire data and I'm looking for objective data not opinion.

I'll be running down at Sebring with David Murry (anyone going?) at the end of the month, and my current SC3Rs have about 10 heat cycles on them. I'll be playing with my buddies in their Porsches on Hoosiers and I know I don't want to be on old tires, especially on this track.

I've never run Hoosiers on this car, but many seasons on them in my C5Z.

I'm leaning toward a new set of Hoosiers, but I'm curious the trade off in lap time and # of heat cycles if I went cheaper with the SC3Rs.

Data not opinions please.

Thanks!
Jimbeau11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:44 PM   #2
NickyRacerBoy

Drives: 1LE
R7 after 5th heat cycle they slow down.
The R7 fall off slowly though then lets say a Pirelli DH
13-14 cycles out of a R7 tops.

I know this wasnt your question but DH Pirelli drop off more dramatically then R7

Last edited by NickyRacerBoy; 01-14-2020 at 02:28 PM.
NickyRacerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 12:08 PM   #3
UrbanKnight

Drives: Fastish
I love the SC3r for what it is, but against hoosier, Hoosier always wins. Most of the time, with camaro alignments, you are cording an edge before wearing out or heat cycling out.

Sebring is my home track. On my vettes, I would get 25+ Heat cycles out of A7's and still be running in the upper teens.
On the ZL1 I run now, I get 15-20 before I wear a set out, which is actually more than I get from the Sc3r, which is usually done by 15

All of this is on Hoosier A7's, as I do not like the R7's personally

As Nicky mentioned above- What about running scrubs in either hoosier or full race slicks?
UrbanKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:54 AM   #4
Jimbeau11

Drives: '18 Black SS 1LE; '01 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanKnight View Post
I love the SC3r for what it is, but against hoosier, Hoosier always wins. Most of the time, with camaro alignments, you are cording an edge before wearing out or heat cycling out.

Sebring is my home track. On my vettes, I would get 25+ Heat cycles out of A7's and still be running in the upper teens.
On the ZL1 I run now, I get 15-20 before I wear a set out, which is actually more than I get from the Sc3r, which is usually done by 15

All of this is on Hoosier A7's, as I do not like the R7's personally

As Nicky mentioned above- What about running scrubs in either hoosier or full race slicks?
Thanks guys!

I'm on the 19x10.5 Apex ARC 8s and the scrubs I have access to are all 295x18, plus my experience with scrub Hoosiers is that they usually were in worse shape than advertised. I'm open to slicks but size is an issue there too I think. Suggestions? I'm really thinking I'm going to treat my self to a set of A7s........
Jimbeau11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 12:21 PM   #5
UrbanKnight

You will never ever be disappointed with A7's performance... The 19' variants are naturally more expensive... Could always buy 18" rims... That was the whole reason I had BC forged make 18" rims for me was availability of rubber.
Old 01-11-2020, 01:03 AM   #6
samr350

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Haven't run either but you can get another 25% off the Goodyears with USAA so take that into consideration as well.
samr350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 07:23 PM   #7
LSA

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by samr350 View Post
Haven't run either but you can get another 25% off the Goodyears with USAA so take that into consideration as well.
Details?
LSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 08:21 AM   #8
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Quote:
You will never ever be disappointed with A7's performance... The 19' variants are naturally more expensive... Could always buy 18" rims... That was the whole reason I had BC forged make 18" rims for me was availability of rubber.
Tried my first new set of R7's (315 & 345/30/19). Have not ran them enough to tell longevity vs. G3R's. However, the balance of the R7's suck just as bad as its drag tires I used to run on my drag cars. The Goodyear radial drag slicks were way better for balance and holding air.

On the same OEM ZL1 1LE wheels, the Goodyears took 0.5 to 1.25 oz to balance. The Hoosiers took 5.5 to 7.0 oz (!!!). We marked one front and one rear, dismounted, put new Goodyears back on - same result. Mounted the Hoosiers back up - same result. The wheels are not bent and have not noticeable wobble / runout.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 01:58 PM   #9
UrbanKnight

Why are you balancing Hoosiers? No need at all (If you are really uptight, I understand balancing the rims, but the tires rotate on the rim and therefore a balance is pretty useless)
Old 02-10-2020, 02:21 PM   #10
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
On the ZLE I only get about 6-8 heat cycles (sessions) per set of SC3R front tires until the notorious inner cording happens. I've only used Hoosiers once, and I got a few more heat cycles out of the fronts before they corded. I could probably have optimized the alignment and gotten a few more, but not double. The cost difference was not worth it in my mind.
Old 02-10-2020, 03:40 PM   #11
RUQWIKR

Quote:
Why are you balancing Hoosiers? No need at all (If you are really uptight, I understand balancing the rims, but the tires rotate on the rim and therefore a balance is pretty useless)
1) My buddy charges $10 total for me regardless if he balances or not, and 2) It allows me to check for runout, damage, issues with wheel / tire when we spin them. As you pointed out, they do move as I’ve marked them. Then, between that, not perfectly even wear, and track rubber melted in, the original balance goes to crap real quick.

Nevertheless, I feel sorry for wheel and diff bearings on cars ran with Hoosiers if they all are this out of round.

Regarding the front wear, I try to flip on the rim as well as moving side to side to get a few more sessions. I only move side to side on the rears.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:33 AM   #12
That1guy_tim

Drives: Camaro 1ss
Do you track rats recommend working up to slicks or is there not much of a learning curve with them to start out on? I've heard from one person at my local track that was claiming it's not a huge stepping stone and to just go to slicks because it's cheaper. But I have also heard that it's not a good idea to start out on slicks since the window for error is so small. Any suggestions for a track noob?
That1guy_tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:22 AM   #13
UrbanKnight

Working up is always best. It teaches you so much more about driving the car at its limits on street tires, then when you move to slicks, you will be in love.

That said, I went to slicks quickly.... I missed a lot of driving slowly well stuff and now recommend not skipping the street tire progression...
Old 02-11-2020, 10:37 AM   #14
RUQWIKR

Quote:
Working up is always best. It teaches you so much more about driving the car at its limits on street tires, then when you move to slicks, you will be in love.

That said, I went to slicks quickly.... I missed a lot of driving slowly well stuff and now recommend not skipping the street tire progression...
Agree - I spent a year on G3's on my SS 1LE, then went toe G3R's on ZL1 1LE wheels. Just trying R7's. Both the G3's and G3R's are great tires that are predictable and reasonably affordable.