Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 06-19-2021, 05:28 AM   #1
sr71bb

Drives: 2019 Camaro Z-28
COTA NEXT WEEKEND June 26-27

Next weekend we will be taking my car down to COTA for the CHIN TRACK DAYS EVENT. I am really looking forward to it because it will be my first time on that track and also I will be taking my son as a secondary driver.

Now normally I would simply drive to the event, make some front camber changes and the do the event and drive back. In this case though if you have been following my other thread you will see that we have been playing with a track only tire and wheel setup that we will use on the car.

We are going to run some pirelli slicks 305 660 18 SQUARE on EC7 18 x 11 ET25 APEX wheels. Front camber will be -3.6 degrees with back camber at -2.5 degrees. The OVERALL diameter of this tire/wheel combo is around 26 inches so about .4 an inch SHORTER than my SQUARE DAILY DRIVING setup with SM-10 ET22 19 x 10.5 APEX wheels wrappped with 305 30 19 MS 4s tires. We will take the MS setup in the unlikely case it rains. I have run the MS setup in the rain at Eagles Canyon Raceway and they worked well enough for some 2.12 laps which is plenty quick in the rain.

A word about the track setup. The slicks run WIDER than a normal passenger tire so we found on a NON-ZL1 fender, that this is the WIDEST square setup you can run WITHOUT tire poke and WITHOUT using front spacers. Because of the reduced diameter, there is NOT the issue with the tire rubbing through the front of the inner fender well on the drivers REAR side.

The second thing is I TRIED running a 315 30 18 TOYO RR tire but simply put, that tire runs wider than others and we were getting tire rub against the strut BODY. As mentioned by others and confirmed with our own testing the pirelli slicks are slightly narrower than other brands so that works fine here.

As far as brakes go I have ZL1 brakes on my SS 1LE and we will be using
DTC-70 pads on the front and DTC-60 pads on the rear. I made the mistake of trying STREET 5.0 Pads and that pretty much was a disaster in the area of FADE and WEAR especially compared to the OEM setup which was far superior.

We will be running with the BLUE group on SUNDAY only. They will have 4 - 30 minute track sessions and a happy hour ONE hour track session at the end of the day. Last time I checked they still had some NON-NOVICE slots available for the TWO day saturday sunday event and just ONE slot (SOLO only) for the Sunday event. You have to be signed up as a CHIN TRACK DAYS member which is a 50.00 deal and takes about ten minutes on line.

https://chintrackdays.com/how-to-join.aspx

I am kind of using this as a discovery trip as well to see where we might want to sit for the upcoming F1 race that is being held here in October.

You guys are welcome to come join us. We will be in the BLACK 2019 Camaro you see in the avatar.
https://youtu.be/c9M5UHDftcA
4-15-23 at SCCA TT U1 Class

MEGA Thread on THIS car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602092

Retired Cars BELOW:
1973 Camaro, 1969 Camaro, 1969 Camaro SS RS
2010 Camaro SS with 1000HP F1R, 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
sr71bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 12:03 PM   #2
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Have fun, COTA is my home track. I will be out there for NASA TT in July. Be prepared for the heat.
Old 06-27-2021, 10:08 PM   #3
sr71bb

UPDATE from Track COTA

Ok guys,

After we worked with it for a while we decided to run 5MM spacer on the FRONT with the EC7 18 x 11 ET25 with Pirelli Slicks 305 660 18. WE DID manage to get enough clearance WITHOUT a spacer BUT it was only about the width of a folded piece of paper which in out opinion was just too close so thats the deal with using the 5MM spacer.

Now normally you would run extended studs to compensate for the spacer. But we we used a different lugnut that has a small sleeve that actual engages the stud from INSIDE the lugnut hole. Using the standard lugnuts (GORIILA) we could only engage the stud enough for 5 complete turns. As some of you are aware, from a safety standpoint, you want at LEAST SEVEN complete turns. With the EXTENDED lugnut which by the way would also work with extended length studs, we got about 10 turns. Problem solved. Below I have included some pics of the lug we were using compared to the new ones we are using.

Even with the 5MM spacer, the wheels and tires fit great we no issues, See pics below. The DTC 70 and DTC 60 pads did their job and never faded although the did get hot as f*ck. The sessions were 30 minutes long and we were hitting around 155MPH on the back straight.
Attached Images

MEGA Thread on THIS car:

Retired Cars BELOW:

Last edited by sr71bb; 06-28-2021 at 10:27 PM.
Old 06-28-2021, 08:38 PM   #4
carguy55

155 is fast on the back straight. Stock SS 1LEs only hit about 142. I would have thought your ZL1 brakes would have more thermal handling capabilities but I know the 70s get very hot.. I was expecting to see some poke with the 18 x 11 ET25 but it looks good. Would like to see some video and lap times.

P.S. If you want your pictures to show up correctly, only use horizontal (landscape) pics and not portrait. The forum automatically rotates pics to landscape mode.
Old 06-28-2021, 10:44 PM   #5
sr71bb

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy55 View Post
155 is fast on the back straight. Stock SS 1LEs only hit about 142. I would have thought your ZL1 brakes would have more thermal handling capabilities but I know the 70s get very hot.. I was expecting to see some poke with the 18 x 11 ET25 but it looks good. Would like to see some video and lap times.

P.S. If you want your pictures to show up correctly, only use horizontal (landscape) pics and not portrait. The forum automatically rotates pics to landscape mode.
\

Good tip on the formatting but I fixed the images by resaving them is a SQUARE format and when you upload those it leaves the orientation alone.

In the Blue group we were running there wasnt really anything keeping up with us in the corners except for a couple of RTR cars which are basically are go karts. There certainly were a few cars with more power as we currently are basically stock with roughly 400-425 RWHP. We were braking VERY late on the back straight and the only reason I think we were seeing 150+ is because we were carrying alot of speed through the corners. We gave a few point byes to some of the faster straightaway cars only to bunch up with them again in the curvey sections ( I call this the MIATA factor,,lol).

We will be modifying this car further as we are pretty happy with the handling. Anticpated upgrades should push the RWHP into the 550-580 range keeping the car naturally aspirated at about 3650 pounds without driver.

I THOUGHT the Chin guys were tracking lap times but apparently not.

MEGA Thread on THIS car:

Retired Cars BELOW:
Old 06-29-2021, 03:13 PM   #6
ctfarmer

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71bb View Post
\

Good tip on the formatting but I fixed the images by resaving them is a SQUARE format and when you upload those it leaves the orientation alone.

In the Blue group we were running there wasnt really anything keeping up with us in the corners except for a couple of RTR cars which are basically are go karts. There certainly were a few cars with more power as we currently are basically stock with roughly 400-425 RWHP. We were braking VERY late on the back straight and the only reason I think we were seeing 150+ is because we were carrying alot of speed through the corners. We gave a few point byes to some of the faster straightaway cars only to bunch up with them again in the curvey sections ( I call this the MIATA factor,,lol).

We will be modifying this car further as we are pretty happy with the handling. Anticpated upgrades should push the RWHP into the 550-580 range keeping the car naturally aspirated at about 3650 pounds without driver.

I THOUGHT the Chin guys were tracking lap times but apparently not.
Do you have a link to the mods you've done to get to 550ish RWHP still N/A? I'm worried about boost with the LT1 with all the horror stories of people cracking pistons on a meager 8psi. And who doesn't love a good N/A engine anyways lol
ctfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 06:18 PM   #7
sr71bb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfarmer View Post
Do you have a link to the mods you've done to get to 550ish RWHP still N/A? I'm worried about boost with the LT1 with all the horror stories of people cracking pistons on a meager 8psi. And who doesn't love a good N/A engine anyways lol
\]\

I can give you what he mods are going to be as AMP will be doing all the work. First the car will be running E85, 2 inch Kooks headers, LT2 manifold ported, custom ground CAM, BIG Gulp Intake setup, Custom ported heads better springs and rockers with roughly 12.5 to 1 compression. I will post up the BEFORE and AFTER dynos when that time comes. The current setup I am running is basically stock as far as the engine goes. The car being as it basically is an SS1LE now weighs about 3650 which is about 250 pounds lighter than my ZL1 1LE was. I had the ZL1 1LE slightly modded to make 650 RWHP but once the mods are done to my SS 1le, it will be quicker. IT already handles better.

MEGA Thread on THIS car:

Retired Cars BELOW:
Old 07-02-2021, 07:32 PM   #8
sr71bb

TAPE the WHEEL WEIGHTS DOWN!!!

After I took off the track set up on the camaro I noticed that the wheel weights of the front wheels were out of place. I guess the rotors got hot enough that it affected the adhesive tape that the wheel weights were on and they moved out of position. MY theory is with the rotor being 15.3 inches in diameter and the wheel being 18 inches of course then thats pretty close to the rim anyway. The fix will be to run some gorilla black tape over the wheels weights after they are attached to wheel. This should provide some protection against the heat and will keep the wheel weights is place should the adhesive bond be affected by the heat.

In checking the BACK wheels, those wheel weights were fine. With the rotor bring an inch smaller in diameter and with the operating temps being LESS on the rear brakes then thats probably why they werent affected.

MEGA Thread on THIS car:

Retired Cars BELOW:
Old 08-10-2021, 06:01 PM   #9
HD_ZLE

Drives: 2020 ZLE
Nice write-up and the car looks great on that set up. Hope to catch you at another COTA even soon. I had the grey ZLE out there
HD_ZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 11:42 PM   #10
sr71bb

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD_ZLE View Post
Nice write-up and the car looks great on that set up. Hope to catch you at another COTA even soon. I had the grey ZLE out there
That is a beautiful car for sure. VERY CAPABLE. For about three months we had a Satin Gray ZLE

YEP I remember. My son and I were doing every other session and he mentioned to me about being on the track with you. We were hitting around 155 MPH with my car on the back straight but quite frankly I am not sure whether that is relatively fast for that track or not because it was our first time there.

I hate to admit it but but my son seemed quicker around the track than I did because his line was better for sure. We were pretty pleased with the way the car handled and the brakes held up very well. we ran four of the sessions.

WE have some NA power upgrades we will be doing to the car to make about 580RWHP. At COTA we pushing about 450RWHP. The hardest thing for me to overcome was braking TOO soon at the end of the front straight. I was braking about a marker earlier than I could have.

I also could have straightened out the esses more by more or less running over the curve humps. I know my son was trying to keep pace with that RTR car and he did VERY WELL on all the corners UNTIL the esses section and thats where the 1700 pound RTR car shined. He went into those at a very fast PACE and had to basically lock up the brakes to slow his ass down in that section when doing LEAD FOLLOW with the RTR car.

I consider my home track to be Eagles Canton Raceway in Denton Texas. We also do Motorsports Ranch in Cresson although they have had some issues with a recent track overlay.

MEGA Thread on THIS car:

Retired Cars BELOW:
Old 08-11-2021, 04:21 AM   #11
carguy55

Hope to catch you both at COTA or other Texas tracks soon
Old 08-11-2021, 08:57 AM   #12
sr71bb

Next Event

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy55 View Post
Hope to catch you both at COTA or other Texas tracks soon
Look forward to it. Our NEXT event is THIS weekend at 8/14 Eagles Canyon for their monthly track day. We will be running with the orange group. They have a 8/21 Apex HPDE event at Eagles Canyon also and we may go to that as well.

MEGA Thread on THIS car:

Retired Cars BELOW:
Old 08-11-2021, 01:34 PM   #13
HD_ZLE

Drives: 2020 ZLE
Ah that's awesome. At least you're having fun out there. Yeah these heavy cars cannot take the Esses like most of the lighter stuff. You can usually muscle the car through them and exit around 85mph.

Also 155mph for a NA car is quick for the back straight, considering thats about what I hit in the ZLE (stock) when it's not crazy hot. Sounds like you've built a healthy beast that wont see much heating issues.

I'm hoping to get my car out to more of the surrounding TX tracks soon! Do you have any social media or YouTube?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71bb View Post
That is a beautiful car for sure. VERY CAPABLE. For about three months we had a Satin Gray ZLE

YEP I remember. My son and I were doing every other session and he mentioned to me about being on the track with you. We were hitting around 155 MPH with my car on the back straight but quite frankly I am not sure whether that is relatively fast for that track or not because it was our first time there.

I hate to admit it but but my son seemed quicker around the track than I did because his line was better for sure. We were pretty pleased with the way the car handled and the brakes held up very well. we ran four of the sessions.

WE have some NA power upgrades we will be doing to the car to make about 580RWHP. At COTA we pushing about 450RWHP. The hardest thing for me to overcome was braking TOO soon at the end of the front straight. I was braking about a marker earlier than I could have.

I also could have straightened out the esses more by more or less running over the curve humps. I know my son was trying to keep pace with that RTR car and he did VERY WELL on all the corners UNTIL the esses section and thats where the 1700 pound RTR car shined. He went into those at a very fast PACE and had to basically lock up the brakes to slow his ass down in that section when doing LEAD FOLLOW with the RTR car.

I consider my home track to be Eagles Canton Raceway in Denton Texas. We also do Motorsports Ranch in Cresson although they have had some issues with a recent track overlay.
Old 08-11-2021, 01:52 PM   #14
sr71bb

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD_ZLE View Post
Ah that's awesome. At least you're having fun out there. Yeah these heavy cars cannot take the Esses like most of the lighter stuff. You can usually muscle the car through them and exit around 85mph.

Also 155mph for a NA car is quick for the back straight, considering thats about what I hit in the ZLE (stock) when it's not crazy hot. Sounds like you've built a healthy beast that wont see much heating issues.

I'm hoping to get my car out to more of the surrounding TX tracks soon! Do you have any social media or YouTube?
Check your PM

MEGA Thread on THIS car:

Retired Cars BELOW: