#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 07-04-2021, 08:02 AM   #29
ctfarmer

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodan View Post
I guess it was in another thread, 'cause I don't see it here... after significant confusion, because Michelin doesn't differentiate ZP on their site, one of the members here actually got ahold of Michelin customer service and was able to determine that the 305 is available only in ZP...

So the 'Stones are still the only A/S tire in 305/30-20....
*Reviving this thread because my SC3's are gonna kill me in the rain one of these days*

I've been doing a good bit of searching and have come to the conclusion that we only have two decent options (I may be wrong on this).

The only all seasons that come in SS1LE and ZL1 sizes are the DWS 06 PLUS and the PS A/S 4's. I am inclined to go with the all season 4's over the Continental's, however, the only options for OE rear fitment are run flats.

So here is my question: do I go with the 285/30 (front) and 305/30 ZP (rear), 295/30 (square), or 285/30 (front) and 295/30 (rear)? I am not one to mess with the overall diameters much by going with a 35 profile tire so the non ZP 305/35's are out for me.

NOTE: The DWS 06 plus's do come in OE sizes, but I hear that they aren't as good in the dry as the A/S 4's are.

ALSO NOTE: I do daily this car for all weather except for snow, and in that case I drive my 4WD.

Thanks,
ctfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 08:14 AM   #30
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Quote:
The weather is cooling off, and the PS4 A/S is now available in stock ZL1 sizes (285/30-20 and 305/30-20). We finally have an alternative to the Bridgestone for those of us who have a need for an A/S tire.

I know these haven't been available long, but has anyone tried them yet?
With your relatively mild winters, I would have thought the MPS4S would have been the tire for you.
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 08:35 AM   #31
ctfarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
With your relatively mild winters, I would have thought the MPS4S would have been the tire for you.
The concern is how long we stay below freezing temps in the winter. This past year we spent probably 4 months with temps below 40F. I’m just trying to follow the tire guidelines when it comes to temperature. However the PS4S is going to be my go to for summer tires when I can scrape together the change for a set of 19” wheels. It’s hard to pick what you want to do next between aesthetics and performance mods lol
Old 07-04-2021, 08:55 AM   #32
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfarmer View Post
The concern is how long we stay below freezing temps in the winter. This past year we spent probably 4 months with temps below 40F. I’m just trying to follow the tire guidelines when it comes to temperature. However the PS4S is going to be my go to for summer tires when I can scrape together the change for a set of 19” wheels. It’s hard to pick what you want to do next between aesthetics and performance mods lol
I think you're a bit too conservative in interpreting the guidelines, this is what TireRack says (couldn't find anything specifically from Michelin themselves):

Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

You can drive on these tires in 35-40 °F temps, I did it occasionally, too, just have to be careful and stay out of the throttle for the most part.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 09:03 AM   #33
Rodan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
We are at 5000ft altitude in the mountains. Even though it may be 40 by noon, morning temps in the 20s are not at all uncommon for several months of the year.

Immaterial for us now, as we sold our ZL1 back in January. Glad to see you have at least one other option in the DWS. I had those on a Pontiac G8 way back and they were a decent tire, though nothing short of a summer tire is going to be equal to the ZL1s capabilities.
Rodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 09:52 AM   #34
ctfarmer

Quote:
We are at 5000ft altitude in the mountains. Even though it may be 40 by noon, morning temps in the 20s are not at all uncommon for several months of the year.

Immaterial for us now, as we sold our ZL1 back in January. Glad to see you have at least one other option in the DWS. I had those on a Pontiac G8 way back and they were a decent tire, though nothing short of a summer tire is going to be equal to the ZL1s capabilities.
So would you recommend running the All Season 4’s in the OE staggered setup even if the rears have to be run flats or would you ditch those and go with the DWS instead?
Old 07-04-2021, 11:33 AM   #35
Rodan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 coupe
I had no complaints about the Bridgestones on the street. They were capable of exceeding any prudent speeds on any road I drove in the dry. They don't have the outright traction of a summer tire, but a ZL1 can blow off just about anything anyway. Ride was much better than the stock GYs. I don't have any direct experience with the DWS on a Camaro, but I would expect them to be just as good as the 'Stones.
Rodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 12:35 PM   #36
SCCAForums

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro, Ford Mustang
Unless you live in the NE, and drive in the snow... the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is the absolute best all around tire, for rain or dry. The Continental ExtremeContact Sport is another great alternative to the Micheline Pilot Sport 4S (Wet & Dry)

If you live in the SW, and very little rain, the Factory Goodyear Supercar 3 is the best all around tire.

If you live in the NE, I could see the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season being a good choice, again if driven frequently in lots of rain and occasional snow. (Hope not)

Best regards,
Dave
Old 07-04-2021, 01:13 PM   #37
khcoaching

Drives: 2021 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCAForums View Post
Unless you live in the NE, and drive in the snow... the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is the absolute best all around tire, for rain or dry. The Continental ExtremeContact Sport is another great alternative to the Micheline Pilot Sport 4S (Wet & Dry)

If you live in the SW, and very little rain, the Factory Goodyear Supercar 3 is the best all around tire.

If you live in the NE, I could see the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season being a good choice, again if driven frequently in lots of rain and occasional snow. (Hope not)

Best regards,
Dave
+1
khcoaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 01:22 PM   #38
Yves ZL1

Drives: Canadian 2019 BLACK ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post
Is Bridgestone Potenza that bad? I just threw a set on the rears because I hate Goodyear and wanted a little more tread life. I'll try Michelin next but they are about $140 more per tire and not convinced it's worth it on the street, where "ultimate traction" tires are good for bragging rights but really means nothing

Thé cost is a real îvestment
Yves ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 01:43 PM   #39
ctfarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCAForums View Post

Best regards,
Dave
I live in Tennessee where the weather is completely unpredictable pretty much every day out of the year. And I do drive the car every day I leave except when it snows. That being said, it is often below freezing in the winter, with mornings sometimes in the teens but rarely in the single digits. I think I read somewhere that (at least with the OE SC3’s) you shouldn’t even let the car sit on them when below freezing. That’s my major concern with the PS4S. For OE sizes they’re running about $1700 a set right now and I’d be sick if I cracked them in the cold lol
Old 07-04-2021, 02:45 PM   #40
SCCAForums

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro, Ford Mustang
Quote:
I live in Tennessee where the weather is completely unpredictable pretty much every day out of the year. And I do drive the car every day I leave except when it snows. That being said, it is often below freezing in the winter, with mornings sometimes in the teens but rarely in the single digits. I think I read somewhere that (at least with the OE SC3’s) you shouldn’t even let the car sit on them when below freezing. That’s my major concern with the PS4S. For OE sizes they’re running about $1700 a set right now and I’d be sick if I cracked them in the cold lol

Got it, yeah, nothing wrong with the Michelin All Season, I'd pick that over the DWS... but both fairly soft sidewall, and you'll feel it on spirited corner carving during the summer. Maybe a better alternative is a 2nd set of wheels/tires... winter set with All Seasons and Summer set with PS4S or Conti Extreme Contact Sport?

Best regards,
Dave
Old 07-05-2021, 02:30 PM   #41
JonDaddy82

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Coupe NFG M6
Quote:
I'm in TN as well. I run the 295/305 RE980AS's and am very happy with them as an all around tire at a phenominal value. I put more miles on my car during the colder season so it was a no-brainer for me.
2018 ZL1 M6 <- Not Daily
JonDaddy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 06:59 PM   #42
Village Idiot

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS
I had the Michelin A/S tires on my Mustang and I'll never run them again, almost put me into a wall from a 40 hit. I can't imagine they'd be any better on a ZL1 with an extra 200hp.
Village Idiot is offline   Reply With Quote