Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-12-2017, 10:04 PM   #1
305ss

Drives: 2010 ss Camaro
Ticking noise

I'm hearing a ticking noise from the engine on cold starts kind of like a lifter tick but only for a few seconds and then it's gone. 2010 L99 77k miles is this something I should be concerned about? Oil change not due till 80k thanks
305ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:23 PM   #2
zr1chris

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS/1LE
From what I have read It's a common issue with early models. Mine does this as well when it sits for a few days. I wouldn't worry about it.
zr1chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 01:33 AM   #3
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Normal sounds from the LS engine.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 03:07 AM   #4
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Valve train noise is the nature of the beast on these, and really, any pushrod engine. This is especially true on cold start up. Oil is fed up through the crankcase to the lifters and from the lifters through the pushrods to the rockers. At cold start, the lifters get pumped up and the rockers are only protected by the film of oil from the last run. Not to mention that all these parts have not yet expanded from engine heat.

I'm yet to hear a pushrod engine that didn't have some valve train noise.

Now, if the sound is new, and/or pronounced to a specific cylinder, then yes, there would be cause for alarm.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:42 AM   #5
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
I have an early build '10 SS L99 and I have never heard a sound from my lifters even
though it was a problem when 5th Gen was released. I believe the trick is to change
the oil often. After 8 years and 46,000 miles I'm on my 12th oil/filter change.
You have nothing to worry about, but change your oil and change it often imo.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:43 AM   #6
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 305ss View Post
I'm hearing a ticking noise from the engine on cold starts kind of like a lifter tick but only for a few seconds and then it's gone. 2010 L99 77k miles is this something I should be concerned about? Oil change not due till 80k thanks
From your specs looks like the car is approaching 5,000 miles since last oil change?
As the engine gets to mid-life the oil will get contaminated and maybe thinned out faster. You could try an oil change and see if that helps build up pressure faster in the lifters at cold start.

Once in a while I get lifter noises on cold start, almost since new, and after an ol change it seems to quite back down again.
You can isolate the noise location by holding a heater hose or tube up to your ear like a stethescope.

As posted in another thread, Mobil Synthetic 5W-30 is $25 for five quarts at Walmart - plus Mobil1 Site has a $12 rebate. A DIY oil change will only cost about $26 plus filter. (I contacted Mobil1 customer service to verify the rebate is good for Walmart purchase even though it is not a listed seller on Mobil1 site).
Ron
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:09 AM   #7
partlowr

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Convertible
Add an extra third to half quart of oil, that cured my tick
Old 04-13-2017, 12:07 PM   #8
bigbass30
Dadzl1

Drives: 2011 camaro conv ss
I have 10k miles on my 2011. I always get the tick on cold starts
bigbass30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 01:24 PM   #9
myold88

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbass30 View Post
I have 10k miles on my 2011. I always get the tick on cold starts
Only 10,000 miles in 6 yeas but how many times have you changed your oil?
I hope for your sake at least 6.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:54 PM   #10
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
small lifter ticking/typewriter sound are normal for a ls engine due to the high lift of the cam and its roller lifters. On cold starts of course it louder, yet with a l99 the worry would be for me the aging of the l99 AFM lifters which are weaker and have failed on the car due to the AFM design with the lifters collapsing due to some oil starvation to not pump them up to inactivate the 4 cylinders. This is done with their little solenoids on the valley pan which is specific to the l99 engine and not the ls3 and when ditching AFM lifters its needed to change to the ls3 valley cover.

AT the age of the car...it could go until rebuild without a problem with those lifters, or they could fail with the probability being the longer you go using AFMN the more likely IMO.....

The more complex design of those specific lifters also attributes to their weakness. Those changing out their l99 to a non AFM using cam replace all the lifters and valley cover usually as good insurance with a ls3 conversion of even making it still VVT its the time to ditch the AFM parts form what I read over time on here IMO.

The more preload the louder the ticking form the lifters on ls engines and some like more for high revs when the engines hot and its expanded the metals and the preload has thus changed. Mine is quieter after running and definitely louder than stock especially with no dust cover and headers but I have to live with it for now rather than just revise the preload the tuner gave me. I wish it was more in the .040-.060 range for a ls engine but I am most likely hitting it harder at .070+ for a ls7 range. My first Camaro was a l99, after studying the set up and the only place making the new VVT cams and phasers and such back then being Mast back then I rad what it entailed to ditch AFM and the new parts and determined before I would do that I would rather do stick as I wanted before that because.... No need for a new converter, no need to pull heads, new lifters and such..... And well I had a cat that loved the convertible top to sleep on SOB.... and it was triple black....

I would just keep a ear on the sound, and its good you notice the sound of the engine as I constantly monitor mine by ear and the gauges, and if you notice its getting weird I would have parts in hand to ditch the AFM at least as its not without its problems in design. Good Luck
Old 04-13-2017, 04:04 PM   #11
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
There is a TSB on faulty lifters that do exactly as you mentioned. All the oil changes in the world won't cure a mechanical fault. Mine were replaced under warranty as were others with the defective lifters. Unfortunately I think your warranty period is over. The sucky part is the heads have to come off to do a replacement.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:12 PM   #12
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Not normal. The brief initial lifter tick is due to defective AFM lifters that bleed down. There was a TBS on this.

Got my AFM lifters replaced under warranty and it solved the problem. In your case, the warranty is long gone so you will pay $3,000 plus to get the work done.

I don't know what the consequences are of ignoring the problem, but it can't be good for your valve train.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:11 PM   #13
305ss

Drives: 2010 ss Camaro
Update: I almost always do my own oil changes but my last oil change was done at a Dodge dealership where I bought the car and get free oil changes after doing a little digging I found out they used Pennzoil syn blend. I don't know if this had anything to do with the ticking issue but I changed the oil on Friday and used Mobile One and a Mobile​ one filter and for right now problem solved. Thanks for all the help I actually learned some things.
305ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:59 AM   #14
myold88

Quote:
Originally Posted by 305ss View Post
Update: I almost always do my own oil changes but my last oil change was done at a Dodge dealership where I bought the car and get free oil changes after doing a little digging I found out they used Pennzoil syn blend. I don't know if this had anything to do with the ticking issue but I changed the oil on Friday and used Mobile One and a Mobile​ one filter and for right now problem solved. Thanks for all the help I actually learned some things.
Way to go ! I change my oil every August regardless of the mileage which is
always low between changes. The last thing you want to do is replace the
lifters at this point. That slight ticking you heard will do no harm anyway imo.