Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 03-06-2019, 10:16 AM   #15
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
That's a lot of work for literally no gain, besides some sound.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 02:43 PM   #16
lokitwitch04

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicul15 View Post
Dont breathe that shit. Not worth it. Either cut em off or don’t.

Get a axleback
The secondayr cats are full of a metal material they arent made of the same stuff as the primary's. I just gutted both. Very different material
lokitwitch04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 04:07 PM   #17
24v
Account Suspended

Drives: 2018 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
You could do a cat back and get the borla X pipe that has resonators. they are basically the same thing as the factory secondaries units because they are not monitored by the ECU. AGAIN, You can't claim a part as emission compliant if the ECU doesn't monitor it. GM never intended for these to be a part of the emissions system, they were stuck in place to keep California happy.
Just because you don't understand the purpose of the secondary cats does not mean they are not part of the emissions system.
24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 04:45 PM   #18
Whocares05050

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
You could do a cat back and get the borla X pipe that has resonators. they are basically the same thing as the factory secondaries units because they are not monitored by the ECU. AGAIN, You can't claim a part as emission compliant if the ECU doesn't monitor it. GM never intended for these to be a part of the emissions system, they were stuck in place to keep California happy.

The secondary converts are part of the emissions system lol.

The monitored converters take a while to get up to temperature on a cold start. It is part of the reason cars have a high idle on cold starts for the 1st 45 seconds or so.

The secondary converters are to burn off the emissions while the primary converters are heating up. If you are doing a "sniff" test for testing, it would probably only fail on a cold start without the secondaries.

But I believe they are not required by LAW, just the primaries. However, I am pretty sure california will be requiring them soon...
Whocares05050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 04:46 PM   #19
Dvs510

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokitwitch04 View Post
The secondayr cats are full of a metal material they arent made of the same stuff as the primary's. I just gutted both. Very different material
Did u have to remove the whole exhaust off the car to do it? What’s the trick if any?
Dvs510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:58 PM   #20
24v
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whocares05050 View Post
The secondary converts are part of the emissions system lol.

The monitored converters take a while to get up to temperature on a cold start. It is part of the reason cars have a high idle on cold starts for the 1st 45 seconds or so.

The secondary converters are to burn off the emissions while the primary converters are heating up. If you are doing a "sniff" test for testing, it would probably only fail on a cold start without the secondaries.

But I believe they are not required by LAW, just the primaries. However, I am pretty sure california will be requiring them soon...
We don't have "pre cats". Both cats on each bank are part of a "system" that takes the place of one larger cat. Also, all parts of the oem emissions systems are required to pass smog in California.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:03 PM   #21
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24v View Post
Just because you don't understand the purpose of the secondary cats does not mean they are not part of the emissions system.
I understand the purpose. They are to help burn off emissions on cold starts being the primary cats are not efficient when cold. My point was they are not a part of the ECU's monitored emission system so you won't fail the OBD inspection by removing them. You could more then likely use resonators in place instead of going through the hassle of gutting the secondary units and still pass the inspection.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 02:30 AM   #22
Dvs510

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS/1LE
I think I might just get the 60606 and see if I can just use the small section replacing secondary and use clamp.. and that way when I need to for “certain reasons” living in California, then I can put secondary back in.. I just need to see if the one piece will fit without the original flex donut being in the way
Dvs510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 06:41 AM   #23
24v
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvs510 View Post
I think I might just get the 60606 and see if I can just use the small section replacing secondary and use clamp.. and that way when I need to for “certain reasons” living in California, then I can put secondary back in.. I just need to see if the one piece will fit without the original flex donut being in the way
There is a pretty good chance you can pass smog without the secondaries in the car. I cut them off my 2011 Colorado v8 pretty much when it was new and it never had an issue. Just keep in mind that if you find a smog guy that knows his stuff, he may call you on it.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:47 AM   #24
24v
Account Suspended

Quote:
I understand the purpose. They are to help burn off emissions on cold starts being the primary cats are not efficient when cold. My point was they are not a part of the ECU's monitored emission system so you won't fail the OBD inspection by removing them. You could more then likely use resonators in place instead of going through the hassle of gutting the secondary units and still pass the inspection.
Just because they are not monitored does not mean they are not part of the emissions system, or not intended to be there. Putting a resonator in place of a cat makes zero sense. They are completely different, and if the smog guy knows enough to look for all of the cats on your car, he will also likely know the difference between a resonator and a cat.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:05 AM   #25
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24v View Post
Just because they are not monitored does not mean they are not part of the emissions system, or not intended to be there. Putting a resonator in place of a cat makes zero sense. They are completely different, and if the smog guy knows enough to look for all of the cats on your car, he will also likely know the difference between a resonator and a cat.
I said they are not apart of the monitored emission system so you won't fail a OBD test or set a CEL...

The secondary cat is not constructed like a regular cat. It doesn't have the same catalyst material inside. I didn't say put a resonator directly in place...I said he could do the Borla Cat back system that has resonators in the X and likely pass. If not, It's a bolt-on solution that doesn't not require cutting anything and the OP could easily return to stock if need be. Or he could do just the X like I said before which would require a cut but still could be easily returned to stock.

Either option seems better then trying to drop the exhaust to cut open and gut the secondaries and reinstall
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote