Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-28-2019, 08:12 PM   #1
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
Finally took my ss 1le to the track

Finally got the SS 1le on the track after the 1500 mi breakin. Did a track night at NJMP Lightning track. I've done around 9 track nights at NJMP in the past with my sold bmw 128i. The 128i is the only car i've ever tracked, so my frame of reference is firmly attached to that car.

The event was well attended with fellow Chevy folks. There were 5+ C7's, and 4 gen6 camaros, even a 2019 ss 1le just like mine except for the color. The experienced ss 1le driver, was too there for the first time in his camaro. It was good to talk to someone in the same situation. We shared frustration with getting a track alignment at the dealer. For me, i didn't even get the car aligned because the dealer thought mechanical modifcations were needed to get the camber adjustment, i said forget it! I'll just do this one event with the factory alignment. For him, even with the GM alightment doc in hand, the dealer took several hours and is cost $400 to get a track alignment!

I misundertandstood the traction control, and thought track mode would mean a longer leash with the nannies, but i should have read the camaro6 sticky, and manual before to get into PTM! i know! Soon within the first session,i found power being severly cut until i got the car totally straight after a turn. Even so, i was getting to the car for the first time i didn't find the session a waste.

Later, I found out about the double clicking of the traction control for the other camaro owner, but still spent the second session in confusion as it seems the double clicking was just toggling traction control on and off. Not sure what i was doing wrong, but now after reading the wonderful sticky, i've got the PTM sorted.

Anyway, I did somehow get the traction control into sport1 for the last session, and the car came alive! I finally got more power coming out of turns. I started to push the car more. Came into turn 3 a little hot and was sliding, but the car stayed neutral, it was starting to feel like my 128i, well except for the straights! The power really was fun. And even though i had double the power i'm used to, it just felt in control.

I'm really looking forward to the next track night. But need to do a differential change, oil change, and an alignment. I already see outer edge wear on the fronts! Really like this friendly helpful forum here! I think i've found my new home, although, i do miss the little bimmer.

Last edited by Hops; 07-28-2019 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Formatting
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 04:49 AM   #2
19-1LE

Drives: 2019 1LE 1SS
Sounds awesome! I’m glad you posted! I’ve been looking for a track with decently frequent track days that were affordable near me... think I found it! Summit Point is pretty expensive, but I just checked the prices for the next track day at NJMP and I think I’ll be there!
Old 07-29-2019, 08:12 AM   #3
nasbagoat

Drives: 17 SW 1LE
PCA does weekends at Summit Point for $310, TrackDaze and NASA are usuallly closer to $425
nasbagoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:13 AM   #4
Laststandard

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
It can take a little practice to get the timing of the 'double click' right.. the car can be a bit fussy about it.

Definitely get a track alignment done. Find an independent shop. Ask around on local forums or facebook groups. I'd recommend at least -2.2* if not more. These cars like a lot of front camber.
Old 07-29-2019, 01:14 PM   #5
JD_

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE in Nightfall Gray
Where are you in MD, Hops? I am near Pasadena and found a speed shop locally that did my track alignment
JD_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 03:42 PM   #6
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laststandard View Post
It can take a little practice to get the timing of the 'double click' right.. the car can be a bit fussy about it.

Definitely get a track alignment done. Find an independent shop. Ask around on local forums or facebook groups. I'd recommend at least -2.2* if not more. These cars like a lot of front camber.
That is the truth. I don't even track my car and maxed out the front at -2.5 camber with the track alignment and my front tire wear is pretty even.

While my rears (with the track alignment) stills wears the outer 1/2 of the tire a little faster than the inner 1/2.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 04:11 PM   #7
Hops

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD_ View Post
Where are you in MD, Hops? I am near Pasadena and found a speed shop locally that did my track alignment
I’m in Silver Spring. I’m thinking of going back to Induktion Motorsports, in Linthicum Heights, they did a good job with aligning my 128i, they said on the phone they hadn’t done any Camaro's, but were willing to do so. I’ve gathered from what others have said the Camaro is similar to other macpherson strut euro cars.
I’m also considering a DIY route with toe plates, and a camber gauge. I think it would be a great skill to have, and if I mess up, I can get it aligned by a professional and at least have a way to tell when the alignment it off.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:59 PM   #8
JD_

I took my car to a place called Pure Performance in Millersville. they got mine done for a fraction of dealer price and did it right the first time.
Old 07-29-2019, 06:04 PM   #9
Hops

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD_ View Post
I took my car to a place called Pure Performance in Millersville. they got mine done for a fraction of dealer price and did it right the first time.
Appreciate the tip! Google maps lists a “Pure Automotive” in Millersville, that must be the same shop?
Old 07-29-2019, 06:20 PM   #10
JD_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops View Post
Appreciate the tip! Google maps lists a “Pure Automotive” in Millersville, that must be the same shop?

Yep, thats the place. They specialize in Toyota 86 and Subaru BRZs but they did my alignment no problem. They even did my brake fluid flush