Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 04-20-2009, 09:22 AM   #29
kdbolt70

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBfan24 View Post
is it confirmed that the auxiliary jack is 1/8"? i would like to know because i am getting a 1SS and i want to know what cable i will need to use to plug in. thanks in advance
Most likely it is a 3.5mm jack, just like a normal headphone jack.

And yes you can control the Ipod using the ipod USB cable through the USB port. The song name and artist will show up on the Camaro's screen, and you can navigate through your song menu with the steering wheel controls. The aux jack is just a basic audio input jack.
2SS/RS Victory Red M6 w/ Black Rallys #3305
Muffler Delete, Lloyd "SS" Floormats, K&N Aircharger, Skip Shift Eliminator, Blacked Bowties
kdbolt70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:12 AM   #30
quickdraw

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croathlete View Post
For those thinking of getting an external hard drive, make sure it can run off USB power and doesn't require an external power source.
You can buy a portable external hard drive that is powered through the USB connection and carry as much music as you would like. They are a little more durable than an Ipod. SamsClub and Costco both have them.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:47 AM   #31
Tanner

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I just got this in the mail. It will be what I will be using.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=525

Sands - Surprise
Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:27 PM   #32
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensjeff View Post
I don't think this is correct. The aux INPUT is just that-- an input for sound only. You would have to control your ipod manually if using this jack.

Now using the USB connection would allow ipod control thru the steering wheel/head unit. You would use the same cable that originally came with your ipod.

As far as ipod files,proprietary stuff, etc---- the ipod itself converts the proprietary itune "AAC" files in to audio sound. The sound goes out thru both the stereo minijack, as well as thru the proprietary cable hooked to bottom of ipod [the output being usb that we all hookup to our computers for syncing songs]. Using the usb side allows for ipod control-NOT the stereo minijack.

You can set itunes to a mp3 setting. All personal cd's would be converted to mp3's when adding to the itunes library. I mistakenly had this originally set to AAC, and had to reconvert the AAC files to mp3 within itunes advance tab.

Some songs [mostly newer ones I believe] bought from itunes only allow you to download them as AAC files, which can't be converted into mp3 files [atleast not using itunes software].

I just got a 32 GB USB flash drive and am putting all of the mp3 files on it. I'll leave this connected to the usb port and play tunes like that--so I dont have to mess with ipod. The few AAC files I couldn't convert are useless on the flashdrive, since the radio head unit supposedly doesn't play AAC files.
you are correct aux jacks dont give feedback so you can only control songs through the ipod.and a usb does so you can control it by either

and its not that big of a deal that you cant convert your acc files you dont need too just keep both wires in your car and you can play anything you want its not that inconvenient just switch them back and forth
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:29 PM   #33
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
I just got this in the mail. It will be what I will be using.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=525
thats nice i want to get one soon
Old 04-20-2009, 07:31 PM   #34
mbrusco103

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS (M6) 427 Twin Turbo
when i saw it at the auto show i looked just like a standard jack .. same size as the ipod/iphone jacks and pretty much every other mp3 jack.. i think ipod will be controlable through usb becuase they are very popular and alot of cars are becoming ipod acessable.. im not sure about the zune or any other usb mp3 players but you can always just get a flash drive or external hard drive and plug that in to the usb.. and another tip for iphone users.. the new iphone comming in june 09 will be able to play music through bluetooth so you wont even have to plug it in if you get one =]

2011 Camaro 2SS/RS ERL 427 M6 TT
-AGP Twin Turbo 55/57 .83ar | ERL 427ci | Squash Fuel System | Stainless Works Chambered 3" | Mcleod RXT | Factory Hurst Short Throw | Black Forgestar F14s | CTS V 6 Piston Brembo | VIS AMS Carbon Fiber Hood | Anvil Carbon Fiber Spoiler
mbrusco103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:53 PM   #35
LT1Jeep
Ecstatic Camaro SS Owner

Drives: Jeep(s) [1in pieces] and 2010 SS/RS
on my alpine i can plug any USB drive into the usb connector and controll the songs from the headunit. BUT there is no memror and u dont get to use many of the search,sort playlist featured like on an ipod, so its kinda annoying cause if u turn off your car, the next time u get back in you need to find the song again, unlike the ipod which will just start from where u left off. not sure how the interface will work in the camaro but i since a standard memory usb stick or portable usb device doesnt have any actual music control i dont see how it can work as nicely as an ipod.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:53 PM   #36
quanine10
1SS/RS blk on blk 6spd

Drives: 2010 Camaro Blk/Blk SS/RS 6spd
So with my iPhone, what type of cord will I need to purchase in order to play music in my 5th gen. I know this maybe beating the dead horse but I just want to make sure!
quanine10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:45 PM   #37
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quanine10 View Post
So with my iPhone, what type of cord will I need to purchase in order to play music in my 5th gen. I know this maybe beating the dead horse but I just want to make sure!
just the cord u use to charge it or plug into your computer,or a standard aux 3.5 cable you may have to buy a stero headphone adapter that you plug into the end of the wire that allows you to plug it into the iphone which is no problem you can pick one up at radioshack or walmart for a couple bucks
Old 04-20-2009, 10:31 PM   #38
levi1922

Drives: 2LT RS CGM
http://www.chevrolet.com/allnewcamar...ifications.pdf

That does the officially say iPod(tm) page seven.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:06 AM   #39
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by quanine10 View Post
You can also use the bluetooth to play music as well.
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:53 AM   #40
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by levi1922 View Post
http://www.chevrolet.com/allnewcamar...ifications.pdf

That does the officially say iPod(tm) page seven.
It shows a picture of the iPod plugged into the USB port, too. Good find!

Additionally, it mentions that OnStar can send directions to your display:
Quote:
The driver information center display is shown here with available interior accent trim package (2LT and 2SS) and standard one-year Onstar turn-by-turn navigation (LT and 2SS). Onstar simply downloads a requested route that you can follow via the display or an automated voice.
I haven't been paying attention in the "No navigation???!!!?!?!?!?!?!" threads, but has that been discussed? That's pretty much the same effect, but instead of paying every few years for updated maps, you pay yearly for Onstar subscription...and you don't pay more for a navigation system. The display isn't as good as a normal navigation system, though.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:11 PM   #41
avol2
2G1FT1EWXA9104709

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SIM
for a few bucks you can buy a headphone wire that is plug in on both ends..
then the speakers will act like your headphones...

that is how I understood it...

~~~~~~~~~~~
Julie
aka aVOL2 (because I ride a VOLusia Too)
avol2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:10 PM   #42
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
You can also use the bluetooth to play music as well.
not untill the new iphone comes out