Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 08-24-2022, 09:56 PM   #1
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
PAC & Idatalink Maestro

So I have seen write ups on PAC, and writes ups on Idatalink, I even read a write up on a PAC that used a maestro.

I am still playing with the idea of an aftermarket HU (I have a FIX 86 and TWK 88 on the factory HU). I think an aftermarket HU will be an upgrade on my set up.

Some of you have had these setups now for years. What is the verdict? Is one better than the other? Does one do something the other doesn’t? What do I need for each one?
2014 SS LS3/LSA Supercharger, 10% Super Damper, 2.55 upper, AGP Dual Pump, ID 1050 injectors, Pegasus solid rear cradle bushings, LT Headers, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite E2 catch can, E85 corn fed, 160 Thermostat, Monster Twin Disk, MGW Short Throw shifter, Tick Clutch Master Cylinder, HP Tuners, JL Audio system.
Valkyrie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 03:50 PM   #2
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I’ve probably had the PAC kit longer than most on here and it’s been no problem. The main thing I would suggest is to get a short chassis radio to make the install much easier and make sure you have your door locks set up the way you want before removing the stock unit.

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts - Current
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 08:17 PM   #3
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheap Guy View Post
I’ve probably had the PAC kit longer than most on here and it’s been no problem. The main thing I would suggest is to get a short chassis radio to make the install much easier and make sure you have your door locks set up the way you want before removing the stock unit.
What do you mean by setting up the locks before removing stock unit? The door locks are connected to the head unit?
2014 SS LS3/LSA Supercharger, 10% Super Damper, 2.55 upper, AGP Dual Pump, ID 1050 injectors, Pegasus solid rear cradle bushings, LT Headers, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite E2 catch can, E85 corn fed, 160 Thermostat, Monster Twin Disk, MGW Short Throw shifter, Tick Clutch Master Cylinder, HP Tuners, JL Audio system.
Old 08-26-2022, 01:33 PM   #4
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie14 View Post
What do you mean by setting up the locks before removing stock unit? The door locks are connected to the head unit?
Yes, the door lock and a few other settings are done through the stock head unit.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67359

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts - Current
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 07:17 PM   #5
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Good to know, thanks.
Old 08-26-2022, 08:55 PM   #6
bottletalk

Drives: 15 Camaro 2SS M6
The extra displays via idatalink/maestro are worth it alone, live engine data, radar detector tuning/alerts, front camera alerts, 3 outputs that you can control through second function steering controls(line lock, nos, ejector seat, etc), ez clean install....for me it seemed like a no brainer decision. No regrets and I'm still stoked on it!
All u need is the idatalink/maestro cam1 and an rr2 or a rr1 if u don't need the extras the rr2 gives u. All wiring included as long as u have a idatalink compatible deck. Check the website, on the top banner click maestro then enter ur info.
https://www.idatalink.com/product/
bottletalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 10:23 PM   #7
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottletalk View Post
The extra displays via idatalink/maestro are worth it alone, live engine data, radar detector tuning/alerts, front camera alerts, 3 outputs that you can control through second function steering controls(line lock, nos, ejector seat, etc), ez clean install....for me it seemed like a no brainer decision. No regrets and I'm still stoked on it!
All u need is the idatalink/maestro cam1 and an rr2 or a rr1 if u don't need the extras the rr2 gives u. All wiring included as long as u have a idatalink compatible deck. Check the website, on the top banner click maestro then enter ur info.
https://www.idatalink.com/product/
On Crutchfield there are a some adapters for t harness and antennas etc. Are any of those needed? Also, the RR2 is out of stock everywhere, what are the extras for the rr2 on the Camaro?
Old 08-26-2022, 10:35 PM   #8
bottletalk

Quote:
On Crutchfield there are a some adapters for t harness and antennas etc. Are any of those needed? Also, the RR2 is out of stock everywhere, what are the extras for the rr2 on the Camaro?
u only need what the idatalink site states, enter ur info with the deck you have and everything that u need will be on the page. The cam1 comes with a t harness and the rr2 has everything else. The difference between them is the rr2 has 3 programmable outputs, radar integration, Bluetooth and future abilities....if u don't need this get the rr but I like my tech and radar so I went with the rr2.
if u shop around u can find a rr2.
Old 09-01-2022, 07:06 AM   #9
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Yesterday I talked to two professional shops about PAC and Maestro. They both said they prefer Maestro, but did mention PAC has a nice kit for some cars. When I asked what was in their cars they both said Maestro. Neither drives a Camaro.
Old 09-01-2022, 07:27 AM   #10
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
I have had the PAC for at least 6 years with no issues.

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 11:26 AM   #11
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Quote:
Yesterday I talked to two professional shops about PAC and Maestro. They both said they prefer Maestro, but did mention PAC has a nice kit for some cars. When I asked what was in their cars they both said Maestro. Neither drives a Camaro.
Do you like the OEM A/C knobs?
Or can you deal with digital A/C controls

There are others factors involved but I think that might be the biggest hurdle.

I didn’t like the paint match of the idatalink but I overcame that to paint silver to match dash trim instead of console cover. It’s tough to really see in my pic. The newer short chassis kenwoods work great for the Camaro install with either kit.

The idatalink requires soldiering to make a harness(not too bad) and setting up the kit for your individual likings of button features and your car, which is the cool feature of the idatalink.
I had mine originally in my V6 Camaro I drove more but it’s now in my Camaro I drive very little. It’s a nice setup for a driver.
Good luck
Attached Images

SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 06:33 PM   #12
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIM GhostrdrZ View Post
Do you like the OEM A/C knobs?
Or can you deal with digital A/C controls

There are others factors involved but I think that might be the biggest hurdle.

I didn’t like the paint match of the idatalink but I overcame that to paint silver to match dash trim instead of console cover. It’s tough to really see in my pic. The newer short chassis kenwoods work great for the Camaro install with either kit.

The idatalink requires soldiering to make a harness(not too bad) and setting up the kit for your individual likings of button features and your car, which is the cool feature of the idatalink.
I had mine originally in my V6 Camaro I drove more but it’s now in my Camaro I drive very little. It’s a nice setup for a driver.
Good luck
One of the guys told me the Cam1 kit has a harness that doesn’t require soldering. I’m not afraid of soldering, but I will avoid it if I can. I’m looking at two different head units and leaning toward the maestro.

Current project is custom door panels. My wife said I have to finish that before starting anything else. Yes dear.
Old 09-02-2022, 01:26 PM   #13
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Ordered a Sony AX6000 (released today) and Maestro Idatalink. Will post pictures later in the month.
Old 09-02-2022, 03:01 PM   #14
bottletalk

Quote:
Ordered a Sony AX6000 (released today) and Maestro Idatalink. Will post pictures later in the month.
Nice, did u go with the rr or rr2?