Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > USA - California

Phastek Performance

Old 07-23-2019, 04:48 PM   #1
Smashn808

Drives: SS
Car insurance

Who do you guys use for car insurance? I have been with Amica for years but they have raised their rates considerably this year. I have 3 cars with full coverage, zero points , zero accidents, and they are trying to increase my rates by $1k this year. They said California insurance rates have increased across the board. Any truth to this? Any help is appreciated.

Past:
2009 Cadillac CTS-V, 6-speed manual
2008 Corvette Jet Steam Blue, manual
2005 Cadillac CTS-V, Stealth Gray
2003 Corvette Z06, Black
Smashn808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:52 PM   #2
CamaroSS50

Drives: 2017 Camaro Convertible SS Fifty
Usaa. No word about any increase.

CamaroSS50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:26 AM   #3
HoldMyBeer

Drives: 2017 ZL1(Silver) - A10, Stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashn808 View Post
Who do you guys use for car insurance? I have been with Amica for years but they have raised their rates considerably this year. I have 3 cars with full coverage, zero points , zero accidents, and they are trying to increase my rates by $1k this year. They said California insurance rates have increased across the board. Any truth to this? Any help is appreciated.
True story man.....I just got my renewal and got hit with $332 increase for my 6 month policy. I have multiple discounts and have been with Mercury for over 10 years and last two years have been worst years with them(increase size). Here is the worst part.....Mercury is still cheapest by almost $1000 per year so there’s nothing I can do which sucks.

On side note, I have two kids on my policy and they are about 70% of my premium....my zl1 is only $430 for 6 months which is pretty good.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:54 AM   #4
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
There is no loyalty discount any more, so jump ship any time price is not right.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 10:49 AM   #5
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i have progressive 35 years old 2 cars was about $175 a month...had one accident last year and it went up to $215 then normally every 6 months or so it drops a few bucks and it actually went up $10...called them not happy checked all the discounts for me said nothing available and that cali insurance prices have indeed gone up shit sucks...
Old 07-24-2019, 12:42 PM   #6
beemer105

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
If I am not mistaken any rate increases must be reviewed by the Department of Insurance.
If memory serves me right that's around 5-10%.
If the insurance carrier hasn't applied and been approved for the rate increase by the state then it actually becomes illegal.
State website used to have a list of those companies that were currently pricing illegally.
I would ask for the state's approval for the rate increase.

Small incremental changes are synonymous with typical cost of living expenses and raises for the employee's that manage the policies when there is a claim.
beemer105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 01:33 PM   #7
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Find an insurance agent and shop around. I am in Massachusetts, not CA, but my insurance with one of the Travelers companies took a huge jump this year. (no tickets or accidents, BTW) I should say they wanted to take a big jump but I changed companies before the increase took effect.

The insurance agent I had been using for like 20+ years knew about the increase but never got in touch with me to try to save me some money. Instead they waited until I called them about it. Then, they hemmed and hawed about what they might be able to do to save me some $ but it was very weak sauce. Hardly made a dent. What the heck do I have an insurance agent for, if they aren't going to look after my interests?

So I called my girlfriend's insurance agent and she found me policies for my Camaro, Jeep, and house, that saved me all the way around. Now my old insurance agent gets zero. Nothing. Nada from me.

So, talk to a few insurance agents and see what they can find for you.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:43 PM   #8
Smashn808

Drives: SS
Thanks for all the info guys. Mercury and nationwide were way cheaper. Nationwide has great prices for homeowners also.

Past:
2009 Cadillac CTS-V, 6-speed manual
2008 Corvette Jet Steam Blue, manual
2005 Cadillac CTS-V, Stealth Gray
2003 Corvette Z06, Black
Smashn808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 02:16 AM   #9
TEST DRyVer

Drives: 17 ZL1 6mt with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldMyBeer View Post
True story man.....I just got my renewal and got hit with $332 increase for my 6 month policy. I have multiple discounts and have been with Mercury for over 10 years and last two years have been worst years with them(increase size). Here is the worst part.....Mercury is still cheapest by almost $1000 per year so there’s nothing I can do which sucks.

On side note, I have two kids on my policy and they are about 70% of my premium....my zl1 is only $430 for 6 months which is pretty good.
WHAT??? $430 For 6 months?!?! I went from an 18 718 Cayman that was around $1k a year, which is excellent in Arizona. My ZL1 (with a higher deductible) is just under $1400 a year! Clean record, Beemer and home on the same policy for Travelers Insurance. We pay a lot for auto insurance in AZ because they're are several uninsured motorists on the road. So the ones paying insurance end up picking up the slack. I will say this: Porsche's in general (GT cars aside) are really inexpensive to insure. The 2015 BMW 335i M-sport was a bit more expensive than the Porsche. I'll call my broker. She already re-ran rates for me just recently. If I can't get much lower, you guys all have a point. I should shop her... Sucks, I'm loyal by nature, but if you guys are saying Nationwide, maybe it's worth investigating. As far as Mercury, I have heard of them, but don't know enough. Experience has taught me, when you need an insurance company for a real claim, you want a rich and reputable company or else your claim will turn into a nightmare. I never shop just rates, it has to be rates and reputation when it comes to paying out. State Farm was the easiest with payout, no problems with claims, no questions asked. Problem was, once they pay a claim, you're out! They give you the boot! Even on minor claims... I've had them twice over the years, and they dropped me both times over 1 single claim (one was auto, and years later on a home).

Esthetics: Nardo Grey wrap with original black accents throughout, complete Xpel ceramic coat, Diode Dynamics markers, Smoked GM tail & 3rd brake light, C7 Carbon 1LE style Spoiler in blk, ACS splash guards, blk'd out emblems. Variant Krypton wheels in Gloss black.

Performance: AWE Touring catback exhaust with resonator, Rotofab dry intake, TM throttle body, Kooks 1 7/8 Headers with Green Cats, Advanced Fuel Dynamics Flex Fuel kit with e50 blend and dyno tuned.

Current Family car (for the wifey): 2021 Audi SQ5
TEST DRyVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 07:46 PM   #10
HoldMyBeer

Drives: 2017 ZL1(Silver) - A10, Stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEST DRyVer View Post
WHAT??? $430 For 6 months?!?! I went from an 18 718 Cayman that was around $1k a year, which is excellent in Arizona. My ZL1 (with a higher deductible) is just under $1400 a year! Clean record, Beemer and home on the same policy for Travelers Insurance. We pay a lot for auto insurance in AZ because they're are several uninsured motorists on the road. So the ones paying insurance end up picking up the slack. I will say this: Porsche's in general (GT cars aside) are really inexpensive to insure. The 2015 BMW 335i M-sport was a bit more expensive than the Porsche. I'll call my broker. She already re-ran rates for me just recently. If I can't get much lower, you guys all have a point. I should shop her... Sucks, I'm loyal by nature, but if you guys are saying Nationwide, maybe it's worth investigating. As far as Mercury, I have heard of them, but don't know enough. Experience has taught me, when you need an insurance company for a real claim, you want a rich and reputable company or else your claim will turn into a nightmare. I never shop just rates, it has to be rates and reputation when it comes to paying out. State Farm was the easiest with payout, no problems with claims, no questions asked. Problem was, once they pay a claim, you're out! They give you the boot! Even on minor claims... I've had them twice over the years, and they dropped me both times over 1 single claim (one was auto, and years later on a home).
Yeah, I don’t think Mercury does business in AZ but they are very good and by far the cheapest for me here in CA. Closest was AAA at $700 more per year and then Nationwide at $1200 more per year. I have multiple policies thru mercury(home, auto, pup) which helps on discount front.

Just sucks insurance is so much in total.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:44 PM   #11
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
I’ve got full coverage on both my wife’s new Alfa Romeo Giulia and my Camaro SS for just under $1100.00 for the year. Zero tickets, zero accidents on our driving records. I’m in Massachusetts, but live in a more rural part. That makes a big difference I believe. If I lived in Boston, it would likely be double. Using a regional insurance company called Norfolk & Dedham. A small discount is included for having my homeowners insurance with them as well.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:11 PM   #12
SienarSystems

Drives: ZL1 1LE
I’m in CA, have been with GEICO for 15+ years and we had a massive rate increase with our most recent renewal. I shopped the policy with USAA, State Farm, Travelers and others...GEICO was still the least expensive. 4 cars, 4 drivers, 2 of whom are under 18. In CA, insurance companies now assign the highest risk driver to the highest risk car. That would be my ZLE and 17 yr old son.
SienarSystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 02:16 PM   #13
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SienarSystems View Post
I’m in CA, have been with GEICO for 15+ years and we had a massive rate increase with our most recent renewal. I shopped the policy with USAA, State Farm, Travelers and others...GEICO was still the least expensive. 4 cars, 4 drivers, 2 of whom are under 18. In CA, insurance companies now assign the highest risk driver to the highest risk car. That would be my ZLE and 17 yr old son.
Have your 17 year old son sign an exclusion that says he will not drive the ZLE. I did that with my 18 year old son regarding my SS, and that kept my insurance company happy (and my rate low!).
Old 08-05-2019, 04:51 PM   #14
SoCal Smith

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE A10
Wawanesa was good for me with my ZL1..
SoCal Smith is offline   Reply With Quote