The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-01-2021, 09:07 PM   #1
Michael-k

Drives: '21 Camaro
Need info about Chevy Equinox

I'm considering getting a used Equinox ('17, perhaps '16 or '15). Would like the V6 (LFX, I believe), and need AWD.
Wondering if anyone knows about them.
>> Is Android Auto the same? Or, what are the update options?
>> Read that the V6 is not as responsive as it could be. Can I just pop in a throttle controller (like Camaro w/ LFX has)?
sold: 2000 Mercury Cougar -- V6, citrus gold, 5-speed, sunroof
Michael-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 11:27 PM   #2
theragtopguy
Lifetime Philly Fan

Drives: 2015 Spring Edition 2SS M-6
We bought one for my wife last year. A fully loaded '16 LTZ.

It moves out pretty good. This is the same LFX 3.6 engine that's in the Camaros.

She loves it, on the Interstate it has no problems passing trucks and such.....gets up really nice. Gas mileage on the Interstate is around 22-24. However, around town it is about 17 or so.

No problems with it at all, has about 60k on her now. Just do not get the 4 cylinder.....way underpowered, couldn't pull a fat whore on a tricycle.
Tune by DynoSteve via SCTx4 Tuner

One of 82 GF Ragtops built in '15 out of 811 Total

[/SIZE]

theragtopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 07:30 AM   #3
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
Yes, LFX. 2015 LTZ, 100K+ miles. Bought new. Just changed all the fluids. Transmission and power steering needed it, dirty. Found out it's difficult to do a power steering flush. Because a reservoir feeds the reservoir on the power steering pump. So I've been swapping out the fluid in the top reservoir every week or two. Coolant, differential and transfer case "looked" great. No real issues, except intake maintenance because of direct injection. CRC cleaner for DI engines, every oil change. About every 7500 miles. Will be adding a catch can soon. Not aware of any Android Auto. I know the My Link has blue tooth for pairing, XM and rear view camera. But I seldom drive it, just maintain it. 1 alignment, 1 set of brake pads, tires, valve stems and a purge valve for the gas tank evap system. The 4 cylinder was ok, until you needed power. Then it was lacking and unrefined. The drive by wire does feel like it lowers the responsiveness of the engine, but not alot. And mainly from a stop. But it's probably set up that way to reduce stress on the drive train, torque management.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock

Last edited by Badbubba; 06-02-2021 at 10:59 PM.
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 08:57 PM   #4
Michael-k

Drives: '21 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by theragtopguy View Post
It moves out pretty good. This is the same LFX 3.6 engine that's in the Camaros.

She loves it, on the Interstate it has no problems passing trucks and such.....gets up really nice. Gas mileage on the Interstate is around 22-24. However, around town it is about 17 or so.
Ok, thank you. Maybe I don't need the throttle controller.

I test-drove 2 4-bangers (both in '10-'14 range) -- did not like them. I can't fathom how GM thinks that 2.4 L can move a vehicle that size. Especially if it's going to haul 5 humans and cargo. Or tow anything!

--

Well, did a bit more research. GM waited till '18 (a new generation) to throw in Android Auto / Carplay.

Also, found a forum for Equinox/Terrain/SRX.
sold: 2000 Mercury Cougar -- V6, citrus gold, 5-speed, sunroof
Michael-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 06:57 AM   #5
JamesMyBoy

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
We bought a 2018 Equinox as a replacement for the wife's 2012 Acadia in April of '18. So far (48,000 mi) we're pretty happy with it. The 2.0L Turbo runs pretty good, with plenty of power for a small fairly light SUV. Got AWD since it does snow here in Nebraska :-)
I'm on that forum you mentioned... Seems most of the problems people have are with the GMC, which I don't understand... Maybe more of them on the road?
It also looks like the 2.4L 4 cylinder engine is a problematic one, FYI.
Go sit in one before you buy, as the only complaint I have is that the front seats are pretty narrow, putting a little pressure on my shoulders that wider seats would not.
Good luck!