The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-01-2021, 08:59 AM   #113
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
This. In 2019, Ford very directly said that they were going to focus on three sub-brands:
  • Bronco
  • F-150
  • Mustang

So, where are they now with this strategy?
  • Bronco Sport (4-door FWD) is already on the street
  • Bronco (2-door RWD) is late, but on it’s way
  • Mustang Mach E is already on the street
  • A Mustang sedan and another EV (probably the same vehicle) on the way
  • F-150 Lightning announced

Yes, this is different than the way things were, but know what? Go back far enough and everything is different than it was before. If nobody takes a risk and does something different, things stagnate.

On the extreme side, been in the cookie aisle of your local supermarket lately? Get a pack of Oreos. I’ll wait. Since the beginning of time (1961 for yours truly) Oreos have been black cookie sandwich with white creme center. Period. Now there must be 30 different variations. Oreo fans could have prevented this if only they had got out their pitchforks and fired up their blogs, right. They could have named those cookies something else and left Oreo as the familiar black and white cookie sandwich, but no, they had to go fix what wasn’t broke. How’s that working for them? I’ll answer that...quite well actually. And what’s become of good ol’ Levi’s jeans? You want boot cut or regular cut or skinny cut? You want dark dye or light dye or distressed?

So Ford’s taking a risk by taking their iconic brand names and extending them into different configurations then what many are used to. Good on ‘em. It worked for Levi’s. It’s working for Oreos. The answer is, buy the variant you want and ignore the ones you don’t want. Or take your ball and go home with the belief that it will tank the company and show them the error of their ways.
This ^ While I still don't like calling the Mach-E a mustang, if it allows a regular ICE mustang to still exist so be it.

Ford has pretty much laid their strategy out, they are going to do ICE versions and electric versions of all their popular vehicles and let the consumer decide. that's the way it should be. It also seems like with the electric versions of ICE vehicles, ford is going to keep the styling subtle and similar to their ICE sibilings. I think that is a brilliant strategy. In my circle of family and friends who don't know much about cars all have one complaint about electric cars. They don't look like "normal" cars. I think if Ford uses subtle styling like they did with the F-150 they will get a lot more people to consider EVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
I actually think the rear looks alright, it's the front that looks off to me.
It's the opposite for me. I saw one in the wild a week or so ago. the front end and side profile actually I think are good looking but man the ass end is terrible.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 04:54 PM   #114
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
This. In 2019, Ford very directly said that they were going to focus on three sub-brands:
  • Bronco
  • F-150
  • Mustang

Yes, this is different than the way things were, but know what? Go back far enough and everything is different than it was before. If nobody takes a risk and does something different, things stagnate.

On the extreme side, been in the cookie aisle of your local supermarket lately? Get a pack of Oreos. I’ll wait. Since the beginning of time (1961 for yours truly) Oreos have been black cookie sandwich with white creme center. Period. Now there must be 30 different variations. Oreo fans could have prevented this if only they had got out their pitchforks and fired up their blogs, right. They could have named those cookies something else and left Oreo as the familiar black and white cookie sandwich, but no, they had to go fix what wasn’t broke. How’s that working for them? I’ll answer that...quite well actually. And what’s become of good ol’ Levi’s jeans? You want boot cut or regular cut or skinny cut? You want dark dye or light dye or distressed?

So Ford’s taking a risk by taking their iconic brand names and extending them into different configurations then what many are used to. Good on ‘em. It worked for Levi’s. It’s working for Oreos. The answer is, buy the variant you want and ignore the ones you don’t want. Or take your ball and go home with the belief that it will tank the company and show them the error of their ways.
Using the Oreo cookie analogy, what Ford is doing with the Mach E would be more comparable to NABISCO folding their Lorna Doone cookies under the Oreo banner.

That doesn't mean the Mach E or the LDs can't be good products in their own right. It does (would, on the Nabisco side) suggest, however, that 'whim' at the corporate level (from the 'No Buick thread) grabbed an outsized share of the decision.

Norm
Old 06-02-2021, 09:38 AM   #115

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
The Mach E is likely called a Mustang for one reason...So Ford can justify a high-end performance price comparable to the high-end ICE Mustangs. If they can use the EV "performance" features, which basically every EV will have, then the Mach E can command higher "comparable" pricing to the higher performance model ICE Mustangs.

In a few years, the Mach E will be just another garden variety EV/SUV with the same basic features an EV at a much lower price will have.

EVs are less complex in design, fewer components, and less expensive to assemble. And should even become less expensive in the future. The price will be kept artificially high with tax-credits, rebates, and marketing that raises the price unnecessarily to be seen as "comparable" to current models.

Once tax-credits end, the price should get reduced. Manufactures will keep MSRPs as high as possible for as long as possible on EVs by comparing them to ICE cars.

The Chevy Bolt MSRPs were drastically reduced once all of GMs tax credits were used up. The same will likely happen with the Ford EV F150.

Will customers see much of a benefit from EV cost reductions? Doubtful. Rebates, tax credits, marketing gimmicks will keep them all much higher than they need to be.

An SUV with the Mustang badge will cost more just because it has a Mustang badge. That is Ford's "genius" in calling this thing a Mustang.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 10:30 AM   #116
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
The Mach E is likely called a Mustang for one reason...So Ford can justify a high-end performance price comparable to the high-end ICE Mustangs. If they can use the EV "performance" features, which basically every EV will have, then the Mach E can command higher "comparable" pricing to the higher performance model ICE Mustangs.

In a few years, the Mach E will be just another garden variety EV/SUV with the same basic features an EV at a much lower price will have.

EVs are less complex in design, fewer components, and less expensive to assemble. And should even become less expensive in the future. The price will be kept artificially high with tax-credits, rebates, and marketing that raises the price unnecessarily to be seen as "comparable" to current models.

Once tax-credits end, the price should get reduced. Manufactures will keep MSRPs as high as possible for as long as possible on EVs by comparing them to ICE cars.

The Chevy Bolt MSRPs were drastically reduced once all of GMs tax credits were used up. The same will likely happen with the Ford EV F150.

Will customers see much of a benefit from EV cost reductions? Doubtful. Rebates, tax credits, marketing gimmicks will keep them all much higher than they need to be.

An SUV with the Mustang badge will cost more just because it has a Mustang badge. That is Ford's "genius" in calling this thing a Mustang.
Yup.
Attached Images

A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 08:10 PM   #117
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
  • Bronco
  • F-150
  • Mustang

Speaking of Oreo's, I thought this video explains most people's attitudes towards it pretty well.

youtube.com/watch?v=CMkYw4dp_NI

Really, I personally don't even care about the other flavours, other than maybe the mint, strawberry or chocolate ones, which are still somewhat "classic" when it comes to flavouring.

It's already perfect, there is no need to go mess it up. Innovate for the sake of innovation is dumb. Why would you blow up the gold pile you are sitting on?

It applies to Mustangs, too. As much as we Camaro owners dump on Mustangs, they are fine the way they are. No need to change it because you need to change it.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 11:57 PM   #118
lemontwist

Drives: 12 2SS/RS L99,11 2SS/RS LS3totaled
i actually thought FORD finally realized that the cars they build suck and gave up lol.
they have a relatively long history of horse/western named cars
mustang
mustang II
maverick (they are going to recycle that name also)
pinto
ranchero
bronco II
bronco
lemontwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:03 AM   #119
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
The image will be shot to hell...............

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote