The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions > Gaming Lounge

View Poll Results: How much would you pay?
Nothing - I'm out of here... 45 93.75%
$5 1 2.08%
$10 0 0%
I will pay whatever to play COD... 2 4.17%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-22-2010, 05:59 PM   #29
elpatofeo
LawBraker

Drives: 10 SIM 2LT/RS & 2016 1SS Hyper Blue
if they start charging a monthly fee, I'm definitely out. I already pay for internet access so their is no need to pay for online gaming.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:01 PM   #30
Synerbee
SoCal Headturners

Drives: 2010 SGM
They will lose a lot of business if they follow through
Synerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:43 PM   #31
Captain Vlad

Drives: 2010 Camaro Black 2SS/RS
Since I don't play Call of Duty, I guess I'd have to say no.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:26 PM   #32
lil_chef
Banned

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
i dont even like COD that much to begin with....... a lot of things that the CEO of activision says are completely facepalm worthy
lil_chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:23 PM   #33
Big Brunsy

Drives: 2010 supercharged LS3
only online multiplayer (non coop) I play is gears of war. Used to play R6V2 and Civ Rev, but those games are long forgotten. I would never pay to play online. I mean XBL subscriptions already went up $10/yr. Do they think a recession means people have extra money to spend??

Any more, if I get 1000 gamer score on a game it's gone. I play more for the achievements than anything else.
Big Brunsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:05 PM   #34
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
I already pay for X-box Live, so no way in hell will I pay any extra for COD.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:16 PM   #35
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I'm not on the COD bandwagon, but I don't think I'd pay extra for any game online besides Internet and XBL.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:08 PM   #36
Brokinarrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaber99 View Post
What I'm afraid will happen is the other companies will follow suit. :(

Btw,

They are not going to try and sell anything extra with this fee. Their point is that one should pay for the entertainment value, such as paying $8 to watch a 2 hour movie. Their point is that you are getting hundreds of hours of entertainment from playing online and you should pay them for this fun entertaining experience. They will argue that one gets a unique experience each time one goes online to play.

I don't agree with this but, I have a bad feeling this is where online gaming is heading...

Another point that the companies will use to argue for this fee is that they will need it to pay for maintenance of the servers and such. Seems to me that other companies (ahem BUNGIE) have done just fine without charging a monthly fee, so I'm not sure why activision's servers are so much more difficult to maintain...
Old 09-23-2010, 03:50 PM   #37
Jay_LHD3

Drives: 2019 F150 RCSB Abyss FX4
The fees are coming, there is no doubt in my mind.

These large companies have bought up all the game studios and only care about making money. All it is takes is someone like Activision, EA, or Microsoft to make a profit off of a $2 a month fee and the rest of the big companies will follow!

$2s might not sound like a lot, but there are a million+ gamers online at any given minute in the world. Even if 3/4 of us walk away from our favorite game (doesn't have to be COD), they will still make a killing off the people who don't leave.

Hopefully we will see some of the good gaming studios go indie (or rogue) and we will still get some really good games. For instance, like you said Bungie, who left Microsoft.

But then, look at InfinityWard and Activision, we will never really know what happened behind those closed doors. These big companines have no problem buying a well-known studio for a game franchise and firing all the top management that push out a good product. They will take a good game, make a few changes, repackage it, and push it out the door for $60 a pop. Look at the last three COD games!

This may still be a few years away, but it is coming...

:(
Jay_LHD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 04:07 PM   #38
Brokinarrow

Quote:
The fees are coming, there is no doubt in my mind.

These large companies have bought up all the game studios and only care about making money. All it is takes is someone like Activision, EA, or Microsoft to make a profit off of a $2 a month fee and the rest of the big companies will follow!

$2s might not sound like a lot, but there are a million+ gamers online at any given minute in the world. Even if 3/4 of us walk away from our favorite game (doesn't have to be COD), they will still make a killing off the people who don't leave.

Hopefully we will see some of the good gaming studios go indie (or rogue) and we will still get some really good games. For instance, like you said Bungie, who left Microsoft.

But then, look at InfinityWard and Activision, we will never really know what happened behind those closed doors. These big companines have no problem buying a well-known studio for a game franchise and firing all the top management that push out a good product. They will take a good game, make a few changes, repackage it, and push it out the door for $60 a pop. Look at the last three COD games!

This may still be a few years away, but it is coming...

:(
Yeah... looking forward to seeing what the 'new' InfinityWard will be putting out. Heard a good chunk of the original staff followed the pres and vice pres to the new company.
And yes, there is a looong long list of companies that have been bought out by the giants. RIP Westwood Studios.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:31 PM   #39
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
What I'm afraid will happen is the other companies will follow suit. :(

Btw,

They are not going to try and sell anything extra with this fee. Their point is that one should pay for the entertainment value, such as paying $8 to watch a 2 hour movie. Their point is that you are getting hundreds of hours of entertainment from playing online and you should pay them for this fun entertaining experience. They will argue that one gets a unique experience each time one goes online to play.

I don't agree with this but, I have a bad feeling this is where online gaming is heading...

This is where Online Gaming began. 15 years ago you couldn't conveniently play most games online without subscribing to some sort of service that would host them. Then QuakeWorld showed up and online gaming got turned on its ear, soon Dreamcast came out with a Network Adaptor, and the PS2 and Online Gaming was free to try and yank players away from their PC's. Now that Consoles have a far better position when it comes to blockbuster games, Online play doesn't need to be a gimmick used to sell machines. I'm not surprised pay-to-play is back, just like unlimited internet service is being cut back to data limits, same as the beginning of home internet service.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:40 PM   #40
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Its all the fault of UO [utopia online] one of them very early into the gaming world to charge ya $60 for a game and $15 a month to play it.

and the problem is folks paid up without question to be first in the online world.

WOW re-energized that movement even more

ONly games I paid to play, were free online games that were good, that had both free and paid play. After a while you want to know what paid is like when you have fun with a free account.

shattered galaxy is like that sg.com

Massive online player battle game that is free to play and a blast, you soon want to know what paying is like and it rocked, but got to busy to pay n only play 1-2 times a month, but your account last forever.
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:57 PM   #41
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
I don't see this happening. They would be a lot smarter to simply put advertisements in the lobby between games. Millions of viewers and consistent viewing throughout the day, plus it won't take away from the popularity of the game. If they do charge a subscription fee, I will be pretty mad.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:33 PM   #42
xpanda305x
Banned

Drives: Dark Knight
Bs. if they do it. i am not paying 1 penny. because the fact that servers are shitty. always lagging out and shit. annoying people and downs and shit.

fuh that!
xpanda305x is offline   Reply With Quote