Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-09-2019, 09:03 AM   #1
UFXCRUNNER

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 A10
Supercar 3s vs Michelin PS4S...worth the $$?

So, I'm coming up on time to get new tires again for the Z. Been thru 2 sets of OEM Goodyear Eagle F1s...not extremely impressed with the ride quality after you get thru the first part of the life of the tires...BUT I can pick up a set for 850-1000 depending on where I get them from VS spending 1600 dollars for the PS4S...

Are the PS4S REALLY worth almost double??

Any thoughts and opinions!
UFXCRUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:40 AM   #2
full*throttle*therapy

Drives: '18 RH ZL1 1LE
they are widely considered to be the best all-around tire for the ZL1's.
Excellent ride quality
Good in the Rain
300 tw so they will last longer which might off set the cost some.
full*throttle*therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:59 AM   #3
Mark R

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
For street driving, I would not go back to stock. The PS 4S tires are excellent.
Mark R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:14 AM   #4
UFXCRUNNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
For street driving, I would not go back to stock. The PS 4S tires are excellent.
Yea, definitely don't plan on driving any on the track at all...just want a nice smooth quiet ride and the Goodyears suck once you put a few thousand miles on them...they get really noisey and you fell every bump
Old 12-09-2019, 10:16 AM   #5
Krowser

Drives: ZL1 Mosaic Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFXCRUNNER View Post
So, I'm coming up on time to get new tires again for the Z. Been thru 2 sets of OEM Goodyear Eagle F1s...not extremely impressed with the ride quality after you get thru the first part of the life of the tires...BUT I can pick up a set for 850-1000 depending on where I get them from VS spending 1600 dollars for the PS4S...

Are the PS4S REALLY worth almost double??

Any thoughts and opinions!
Where are you getting a set of Goodyear supercar 3 tires for 850-1000? Is this deal available to everybody?

The supercar 3 tires are a compromise between street and the track. In my opinion, the supercar 3 tires are for non-daily drivers of their ZL1s.

The PS4s tires are super pricey, but will perform better in the wet and have more longevity than supecar 3 tires; however, I like the supercar 3 tires better because I drive my ZL1 on the weekends.
Krowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:28 AM   #6
UFXCRUNNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krowser View Post
Where are you getting a set of Goodyear supercar 3 tires for 850-1000? Is this deal available to everybody?

The supercar 3 tires are a compromise between street and the track. In my opinion, the supercar 3 tires are for non-daily drivers of their ZL1s.

The PS4s tires are super pricey, but will perform better in the wet and have more longevity than supecar 3 tires; however, I like the supercar 3 tires better because I drive my ZL1 on the weekends.
Yea, I've got a pending deal, private guy for $850 so that's why I'm either gonna pull the trigger on those or spend almost twice as much for the PS4S.

I want to go PS4S but for the money is it really worth paying that much...Longevity they're only rated 80 tire tread more so seeing what mileage people are getting out of them.

You can find deals on the Supercar3s but never the Michelins.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:13 PM   #7
collinms

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Summit White
Quote:
Yea, I've got a pending deal, private guy for $850 so that's why I'm either gonna pull the trigger on those or spend almost twice as much for the PS4S.

I want to go PS4S but for the money is it really worth paying that much...Longevity they're only rated 80 tire tread more so seeing what mileage people are getting out of them.

I live in your area and I run ps4s. Great tire and they seem to be lasting longer than any tire I have run before. You will lose some steering feel, little bit more hesitation on turn in but overall everything else is better. I would never go back to the oem tire unless for track use.
collinms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:20 PM   #8
puppykat33

Drives: Black 2019 ZL1 M6,
love my ps4s. tirerack will give pretty good discounts to military and ship to your local installer if i remember right with discount its about 1380 to 1400 or so
puppykat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 01:29 PM   #9
LT4

Drives: all sold, getting another soon..
Quote:

Treadware UTQG rating is 220 vs 300. This means that (in a controlled environment, all things equal, etc), the Michelin will last +36% longer than the stock tires, but cost only +22% more.

Logic dictates you buy yourself a set of the 4S
Old 12-09-2019, 02:11 PM   #10
UFXCRUNNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4 View Post
Treadware UTQG rating is 220 vs 300. This means that (in a controlled environment, all things equal, etc), the Michelin will last +36% longer than the stock tires, but cost only +22% more.

$850 for the SC3 vs 1644 after tax on tire rack for the 4S...about 50% more...money wise its not smart BUT performance wise it sounds like its miles better of a tire.
Old 12-09-2019, 02:41 PM   #11
LT4

Drives: all sold, getting another soon..
Quote:
$850 for the SC3 vs 1644 after tax on tire rack for the 4S...about 50% more...money wise its not smart BUT performance wise it sounds like its miles better of a tire.
Hmm. On tirerack.com, I get $1,518 for michelin 4S and $1,180 for oem's.
Old 12-09-2019, 02:57 PM   #12
UFXCRUNNER

Quote:
Hmm. On tirerack.com, I get $1,518 for michelin 4S and $1,180 for oem's.
Someone's new set unused since they sold their car

but yea if I wouldn't have found this then I probably would have gone for the PS4S
Old 12-09-2019, 04:23 PM   #13
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:

That isn't the complete picture.

Manufacturer's TW ratings vary from each other, it is not a set in stone number when you are cross referencing different manufactures.

Also, the Michelins have a different (softer) tread compound on the outer edges of the tires, so if you do much cornering, you will wear the outer 1/3 edges faster than the rest of the tire. Been there, done that.

My previous M3 come with the Michelin PS4 (300 TW) and after they were done, I put on the Bridgestone Advan Neova 08R's (200 TW rating) and got about the same mileage, but with less outer wear than the PS4's

One thing though in this case that might help the Michelin's last a little longer is beginning tread depth, which is more than the Goodyear's start with.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:23 AM   #14
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
The kumho 295 30 20 sq setup for 200 or less has been the best bang for the buck I've found.. I think everyone's in your situation! we all are looking for a good tire that lasts or is cheap enough to replace a few times, good in the rain, launches good, and handles good..

I picked Kumho PS91s up for 186.00 a piece at the time at simple tire they are for 194.97 right now..

Step 1:

go to simpletire, Add to the cart no ship or tax take that quote to Discount they will match the price Discount will knock the tire down to where even with tax it will be lower than the quote to your door.

Step 2. Use there charge account and buy 4 tires which you are and get another 20% off in prepaid debit cards by mail.

Great in the rain!
Great dry Traction of the line and light road course
Noise level says medium but they sound smooth/quiet to me
Life so far 15k miles expecting another 5 to 6k out of them but they are medium life tires..

I know they aren't staggered 285 / 305 but it will not hurt anything and a lot track guys run 305 square set up any how so a stagger isn't necessary..

I would say the goodyears are better on the track and once warmed up pretty sticky, The mich will last a bit longer than the kumho, but these will have same the dry traction as the mich if not better and same the rain performance as Mich..

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote