#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 09-30-2019, 04:42 PM   #15
Real1LE

Drives: '19 ZL1-1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
Never felt wheel hop myself. Though, I agree the 3R should be considered a track-only tire.
what about tight corners? some people felt the car wansnt "As Planted" and looking at BMR website / videos, they show how "weak" the rear arms are. Dont you think that will add some rigidness and thus better feel? not saying they'll make a HUGE different but maybe they help!
Real1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 04:50 PM   #16
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real1LE View Post
what about tight corners? some people felt the car wansnt "As Planted" and looking at BMR website / videos, they show how "weak" the rear arms are. Dont you think that will add some rigidness and thus better feel? not saying they'll make a HUGE different but maybe they help!
If you think about it, more rigid could mean more wheel hop. If nothing else gives, then the give needs to all go to the tires.

The more points you make solid, without any flex possible, that energy has to transfer to something/somewhere else, ie tires or the next weakest point in the chain.

Front Engine, rear drive always have that hopping potential. If you want no hop, the real answer is more weight in the rear (ala Porsche 911's)

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 05:50 PM   #17
Junkyardspecial

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
From what I know the cup 2s are actually less tire than the 3Rs. TRZ06 is right too. If you firm everything up, wheel-hop will become more of an issue, I would start with tire pressures and make sure your downshifts are solid and crisp and not transferring shock to the drive line. Thats what causes wheel hop mainly on heavy braking.

Will buy your GoodYear Supercar 3R Take offs!
Junkyardspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 05:59 PM   #18
Real1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyardspecial View Post
From what I know the cup 2s are actually less tire than the 3Rs. TRZ06 is right too. If you firm everything up, wheel-hop will become more of an issue, I would start with tire pressures and make sure your downshifts are solid and crisp and not transferring shock to the drive line. Thats what causes wheel hop mainly on heavy braking.
great tip guys. this is what im currently testing, tires!!! im installing the Cup2s for this coming weekend track event and will see how it goes. i do want to get more experience with the car, then maybe test out a part of 2 to see if it does "make any difference"
Old 09-30-2019, 07:36 PM   #19
full*throttle*therapy

Drives: '18 RH ZL1 1LE
What kind of times are you running at various tracks? Are you faster than a spec miata?
full*throttle*therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 09:40 PM   #20
Real1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by full*throttle*therapy View Post
What kind of times are you running at various tracks? Are you faster than a spec miata?
I honestly dont know. Tried my PDR timer and it didnt work last time. a few sessions ago, my instructor had a timer on him and said i was in the low 1:30s on big willow (back in June) i've done a few more sessions since then and one more this Saturday. Im still NEW to the track but do spend a lot of time on track and pay for professional instructor to come out with me. i hope to get good recorded session this weekend
Old 10-01-2019, 01:24 PM   #21
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
IMHO dont touch the car's suspension, it's one of the best in the world as is. With the ZL1 1LE, the room for improvement is in your driving ability. And for non-drag racers I'm also not in favor of mods to the motor except maybe a RF CAI or stock size PTB, things that require no tune and wont throw a CEL--650/650 is plenty of power for top level track times and more than 99% of drivers can make full use of.

On the track it's capable of running with almost any car short of a hypercar. If you change the suspension or motor parts or tune and something breaks you wont be covered by GM.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 01:54 PM   #22
Real1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
IMHO dont touch the car's suspension, it's one of the best in the world as is. With the ZL1 1LE, the room for improvement is in your driving ability. And for non-drag racers I'm also not in favor of mods to the motor except maybe a RF CAI or stock size PTB, things that require no tune and wont throw a CEL--650/650 is plenty of power for top level track times and more than 99% of drivers can make full use of.

On the track it's capable of running with almost any car short of a hypercar. If you change the suspension or motor parts or tune and something breaks you wont be covered by GM.
Yest, I'm well aware of that. Im no expert and surely cant use all of the cars capability. thats why i focus on improving MYSELF, first. but love to learn about the car in general to get more comfortable with it long term.

I have not seen any reason to upgrade anything, based on what i've seen out there! especially not many people having "true" experience racing the car.

Thanks for the tip
Old 10-01-2019, 02:26 PM   #23
Exgermanowner

Drives: Bone stock
Maybe I skimmed this thread too quickly but they do make the regular SC3's in the ZLE fitment.

I'm hopefully going to be mounting up a set of them to ZLE spec rims for my standard ZL1 in two weeks. Love them in the 285/305 sizing on the track, so extrapolating I'll like the extra width/mechanical grip of the 305/325's in 19" even more.
Old 10-01-2019, 02:47 PM   #24
PhreddT
Drive fast, take chances.

Drives: 69 Z/28, 85 SS Monte, 01 2500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
I REALLY wish GM had contracted with GY to make the standard Supercar 3 tires for the ZLE an option. I feel the move to the PS4 is too much of a downgrade (unless you absolutely need the rain channeling).

The standard GY F1 SC3 would be a perfect compromise tire to still let you extract most of the ZLE, without long heat up times
GY makes the rear 325/30ZR19 F1 SC3 for the ZLE now. The front 305's are listed on GY website, but a production date has not been set. I ran these at the SCCA TT Nats last weekend and was very pleased with the performance.
Old 10-01-2019, 03:14 PM   #25
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhreddT View Post
GY makes the rear 325/30ZR19 F1 SC3 for the ZLE now. The front 305's are listed on GY website, but a production date has not been set. I ran these at the SCCA TT Nats last weekend and was very pleased with the performance.
That's awesome to hear.

That was one of the deciding factors (the others being operating costs for a mostly street driven car) of me choosing the SS 1LE over the ZLE.

Now if they would just offer a softer spring rate option for those amazing DSSV shocks.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 03:43 PM   #26
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
hit up garage therapy in nc they make some cool stuff for the zl1 1le guys
Old 10-01-2019, 05:47 PM   #27
MikeEM1

Drives: Tracks: 18' ZL1 1LE
There's no need to upgrade the suspension unless you're driving the car past 10/10ths with everything turned off and think you're being held back.

Are you doing ACS this weekend with SV?

Also your Cup 2s will heat cycle fast after you get a couple hero laps. I wouldn't choose them over the 3R.
AWE Track w/PLP
APR GTC300 wing / Singular Endplates
ASC Splitter / PA tunnels
MFR Engineering Custom Diffuser
Race Louvers Fender Vents
APEX SM10 & ARC8

For sale: 2018 OEM ZL1 1LE Wing

12' Nissan GT-R SOLD
MikeEM1 is offline   Reply With Quote