Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-04-2020, 01:09 AM   #1
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Lt1 vs Godzilla

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...th-basic-mods/

Thanks to its relatively compact cam-in-block pushrod design, the 446-cubic-inch Godzilla engine is pretty close in size to an old-school Ford 351 Windsor engine—and way smaller than an overhead-cam 5.0-liter Coyote. What's that mean? You can slip it into a Fox-body Mustang, or just about any Ford of older vintage, without having to undertake painful body and suspension mods.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 01:27 AM   #2
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Didn't GM do a 454 small block V8 back in the 5th Gen Camaro days?
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 07:54 AM   #3
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...th-basic-mods/

Thanks to its relatively compact cam-in-block pushrod design, the 446-cubic-inch Godzilla engine is pretty close in size to an old-school Ford 351 Windsor engine—and way smaller than an overhead-cam 5.0-liter Coyote. What's that mean? You can slip it into a Fox-body Mustang, or just about any Ford of older vintage, without having to undertake painful body and suspension mods.
Very cool, do you think it will fit in a 6th gen Camaro?

If So Chevy could use it to build a real 6th gen Camaro Z/28. They share transmissions why not motors? They both are focused on SUVs anyway.
Old 03-04-2020, 07:59 AM   #4
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Didn't GM do a 454 small block V8 back in the 5th Gen Camaro days?
You mean this bad ass all forged LS? Fits nice in a Vega. Take that Fox body with your truck motor boat anchor.

https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...ngines/lsx-454

Old 03-04-2020, 10:52 PM   #5
LESS1

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Very cool, do you think it will fit in a 6th gen Camaro?

If So Chevy could use it to build a real 6th gen Camaro Z/28. They share transmissions why not motors? They both are focused on SUVs anyway.
Seriously? This is a step backward from the Gen V SB LT1 motor in most aspects. I hope you were J/K. Not sure what Frod is trying to do here, they proclaim years ago pushrods are no good and they don't need cubic inches. Going high tech with SOHC/DOHC, smaller displacement and then to I4/V6 with turbo power to conquer the world. Not certain but I wonder if the high maintenance and warranty costs are finally catching up to this philosophy? Lots to consider when using a turbo to make reliable power, you can't just slap it on and hope for the best. Of course, we have seen this behavior with the Mustang platform and we know how that turned out.
LESS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 07:05 AM   #6
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by LESS1 View Post
Seriously? This is a step backward from the Gen V SB LT1 motor in most aspects. I hope you were J/K. Not sure what Frod is trying to do here, they proclaim years ago pushrods are no good and they don't need cubic inches. Going high tech with SOHC/DOHC, smaller displacement and then to I4/V6 with turbo power to conquer the world. Not certain but I wonder if the high maintenance and warranty costs are finally catching up to this philosophy? Lots to consider when using a turbo to make reliable power, you can't just slap it on and hope for the best. Of course, we have seen this behavior with the Mustang platform and we know how that turned out.
Yea I was joking. But not about the LSX454 Vega. No joke there. But for the Z/28 faithful only a NA motor will do. I agree.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:10 AM   #7
Spartan268

Drives: HB 2SS
Doesn't sound like it's any different than what Pray Performance has been doing with the 416 LT1 engine build he's been working on. He's building the engine for boost application but in N/A form it's making ~610RWHP. More potential where it's coming from to considering the primary focus is to put a blower on it and not N/A performance.

A stock cubic LT1 can hit near 580RWHP with cams. And this is a dyno with an actual car attached to the engine. I can see this one is just testing the power straight from the engine (engine dyno) so this isn't even considering drivetrain loss either. In a car this will be making close to 500whp assuming it's 15% loss. Normally I'm not one for knocking something down but this is nothing ground breaking or special. They're quite literally re-inventing the wheel. And this wheel is still sub-par compared with the engine builds we have with the LS and LT.

Let's keep the godzilla title to the GTR instead where it should be. This is just Ford fanboys trying to be relevant again in the N/A game.
Spartan268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:39 AM   #8
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan268 View Post
Doesn't sound like it's any different than what Pray Performance has been doing with the 416 LT1 engine build he's been working on. He's building the engine for boost application but in N/A form it's making ~610RWHP. More potential where it's coming from to considering the primary focus is to put a blower on it and not N/A performance.

A stock cubic LT1 can hit near 580RWHP with cams. And this is a dyno with an actual car attached to the engine. I can see this one is just testing the power straight from the engine (engine dyno) so this isn't even considering drivetrain loss either. In a car this will be making close to 500whp assuming it's 15% loss. Normally I'm not one for knocking something down but this is nothing ground breaking or special. They're quite literally re-inventing the wheel. And this wheel is still sub-par compared with the engine builds we have with the LS and LT.

Let's keep the godzilla title to the GTR instead where it should be. This is just Ford fanboys trying to be relevant again in the N/A game.
Let's not forget that the new Ford engine is a big block, not a small block, and it is also an iron block rather than aluminum in the LT1. It's got to be a bit heavy. The iron block would potentially handle more boost, if that's your thing, but for N/A I would want aluminum.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:54 AM   #9
GuywithL86

Drives: Black
I will honestly stick up for any manufacturer and give credit where credit is do. I am constantly letting people know the downsides to gm.

But when it comes to pushrod v8’s, get the hell outta here, that thing is a joke compared to a small block. Absolutely nothing competes with gm in that regard.

It makes 600hp crank with a cam and bolt ons, that’s what the lt1 makes at the wheels.

So not only is it much larger, heavier, and higher discplament, it also makes less power. As much as I hate the powerband of the lt1, it is king of the hill and aways will be in these categories.
HP:$
HP:engine weight
HP:engine size
HP:fuel consumption at low rpm.

It why nearly 80% of cars built from scratch use the small block gm.
GuywithL86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:57 AM   #10
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
Let's not forget that the new Ford engine is a big block, not a small block, and it is also an iron block rather than aluminum in the LT1. It's got to be a bit heavy. The iron block would potentially handle more boost, if that's your thing, but for N/A I would want aluminum.
The 7.3 weighs about 100 pounds more than a 5.0 Coyote according to the other site
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:45 AM   #11
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuywithL86 View Post
I will honestly stick up for any manufacturer and give credit where credit is do. I am constantly letting people know the downsides to gm.

But when it comes to pushrod v8’s, get the hell outta here, that thing is a joke compared to a small block. Absolutely nothing competes with gm in that regard.

It makes 600hp crank with a cam and bolt ons, that’s what the lt1 makes at the wheels.

So not only is it much larger, heavier, and higher discplament, it also makes less power. As much as I hate the powerband of the lt1, it is king of the hill and aways will be in these categories.
HP:$
HP:engine weight
HP:engine size
HP:fuel consumption at low rpm.

It why nearly 80% of cars built from scratch use the small block gm.
This. Minus the hate of the powerband.

The only reason for a godzilla swap instead of an ls swap is just really wanting it to be a ford engine. At the expense, of weight, size, costs, after market support, and power.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 11:53 AM   #12
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Agreed

as a truck engine though (what it was built for) it will be just fine.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 11:57 AM   #13
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
This. Minus the hate of the powerband.

The only reason for a godzilla swap instead of an ls swap is just really wanting it to be a ford engine. At the expense, of weight, size, costs, after market support, and power.
With an iron block, it could have the potential for high boost applications. But, any of the iron block truck series LS engines would be a ton cheaper, and are proven to be very boost friendly. So, I am not really sure of any advantage this engine would have for swapping other than if you are building/rebuilding a Ford, and want a Ford engine only.

Perhaps many years from now, guys can pull these engines from trucks out of the junk yard, and start a build, but I can't see buying one of these as a crate engine.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:38 AM   #14
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Here it is in crate motor form:
https://www.foxnews.com/auto/fords-g...8-crate-engine
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote