The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-23-2017, 04:00 PM   #1
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Lightbulb Chevrolet Performance, we need to talk.

I love you guys. General Motors built me an amazing vehicle, and it's not for the first time. I once owned a Cobalt, and before that I owned a Saturn SL1. When I was having a rough time, I ended up driving a family member's Grand Am GT. All of these were built with the best GM could offer at the time, and I believe that GM is on a great trend of producing the world's best, affordable vehicles. I'm proud to drive one of these vehicles.

Now, let me give you some constructive criticism, not because the car needs it, but because you need it. I still drive a 2011 Camaro SS. It is not nearly as capable as the brand new models that are making headlines and breaking records, but it is still a car that you support with parts and accessories. I know this because I pulled up your website to look for something. Do you know what I found?
  1. Go to chevrolet.com.
  2. Find the accessories link.
  3. Select a 2011 Camaro Coupe.
  4. Find performance accessories. I'll give you a hint; you'll need to see more categories.
  5. FInd a real performance part.

Here's your problem. You're marketing engine covers and gauge packs over real parts. Put the money components first. I know you sell 1LE suspensions because I have been following you for years, but there are guys that love their cars and don't have the investment in the car enthusiast community that I do, and they want those kinds of parts. If you want to be a serious contender in the giant market of aftermarket customization, then you need to sort by awesomeness.

Here's how you fix this. In the same way you put a halo on the highest trim and best product in the lineup, put a halo on accessories. Show me the LSA supercharger as an upgrade first. Then show me the ZL1 differential. Then show me the 1LE suspension kit. Then show me brake kits and bolt-on parts, like exhausts, headers, and intakes. If you can design the page to put 6-8 items in my view, I'm going to see great options.

It's also going to show me that I can still buy from my most trusted vendor, the Chevy dealer who sold me the car. This is how you build loyalty and retain customers! Make me want to come back for more. If you go to the track and look at all the awesome cars there, the drivers are talking about who sold them what. Ford guys talk about Ford Racing. Dodge guys talk about Mopar. I have yet to meet a Chevy guy talk about Chevrolet Performance with the same enthusiasm, and I want you to win.

General Motors produces the best performance vehicles for the price, and those vehicles are engineered with incredible care to ensure that they perform reliably well past the competition. The same is absolutely true for the performance parts that are taken from higher trim Camaros. We, as customers, know this. That's why a lot of us don't like breaking warranties, or we prefer buying from well-known vendors for our incredibly engineered GM products. You should be our first stop, and if your parts don't meet our goals, at least we stopped by and considered our options.

I am specifically in the market for parts that I know fit my Camaro SS and I don't see listed. Where is the LSA supercharger kit? Where is the 3.91 gear kit? There are people right now looking to buy highly profitable parts from one of your warehouses, and those customers are going to end up buying the same thing from a non-GM source. Do you know what happens next? When those parts fail prematurely, they'll have an opinion. They will believe that GM did not manufacture the garage toy that they wanted, and they will begin considering alternatives for their next car. One of their chief considerations will be the kind of support offered by the competition.

Let's talk about your competitors. TRD supports Toyota. Mopar supports Chrysler (300, Charger, Challenger). NISMO supports Nissan (370Z, GTR). Ford Racing supports Ford (Mustang, GT).

We understand that the average car buyer is not us. They want an approachable car that they drive to work. We want a toy. Some of us play with our toys only at the track. Others cruise together or go to meets. All of us have choices as to where we buy parts to make our toys ours. If you want us to buy from you, make it easier to buy from you. Show me the parts I want to see. If I can convert my engine to make that part work, show me a kit. Organize the parts in an order that makes sense.

And no, engine covers are not performance parts.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 05:20 PM   #2
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
It's basic economics. They are going to sell more of the lipstick and glitter than heart transplants.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:07 PM   #3
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
hmmm..5 second google gmperformance clicked on this link http://www.gmperformancemotor.com/category/G5CA.html
Old 07-23-2017, 06:25 PM   #4
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
Agree GM needs step up performance parts..great write up
Old 07-23-2017, 06:53 PM   #5
AG1LE

Drives: '14 1LE
It would be great if that much thought went into Camaro5.com site management decisions. But again, the economics come into play...
AG1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:04 PM   #6
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
hmmm..5 second google gmperformance clicked on this link http://www.gmperformancemotor.com/category/G5CA.html
Will the 1LE street package work on my car? I thought someone had said not on the convertibles. Thanks.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:00 PM   #7
The_Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhagen View Post
It's basic economics. They are going to sell more of the lipstick and glitter than heart transplants.
You are absolutely correct. Of course, if they put those in the proper category, they might sell better. Owners looking in the performance category expect to see performance parts. It takes away the credibility of a performance brand if non-performance parts are under the performance tab. Most of my case for Chevrolet Performance recommendations are based around the credibility of the brand. If they want people to buy from their parts bin, they're going to have to at least put the parts in the right category and advertise them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
That is a local dealership. While they may sell parts online, they are not a reflection of GM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrs2lt View Post
Agree GM needs step up performance parts..great write up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG1LE View Post
It would be great if that much thought went into Camaro5.com site management decisions. But again, the economics come into play...
I'm sorry you feel that way. I've been distant during my deployment, but I'll attempt to provide an active role in being a positive influence now that I'm back from sea. That being said, the moderators here genuinely care about the Camaro community and are themselves car enthusiasts. We do the best we can, but we don't get paid to be here, so we have to go do our jobs sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
Will the 1LE street package work on my car? I thought someone had said not on the convertibles. Thanks.
This is a great question. If Chevrolet Performance is reading this, questions like these make great write-ups! When I look at a car magazine at the doctor's office, most of them have write-ups about how to make things work or how to do major upgrades and restorations. Chevrolet Performance exists because generations of car enthusiasts have loved Chevrolets, and as such have done countless modifications, restorations, and custom work to their Chevys. Wouldn't it be great if Chevrolet Performance wrote blog posts and instructional articles on their blog using only GM parts? If I knew I could print off an article like that and walk it to the Chevy dealer with a list of part numbers, I'd probably let them do the work, too. Imagine how much money in labor dealers could make. Imagine getting someone who has a modified Camaro to buy anything non-GM after so many trips to the dealer for upgrades. There's good money in this!
Old 07-23-2017, 08:04 PM   #8
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
I had no problem finding my LSX B-8, just called Classic Chevrolet in Grapevine Texas and had it delivered.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:18 PM   #9
AG1LE

Drives: '14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I'm sorry you feel that way. I've been distant during my deployment, but I'll attempt to provide an active role in being a positive influence now that I'm back from sea. That being said, the moderators here genuinely care about the Camaro community and are themselves car enthusiasts. We do the best we can, but we don't get paid to be here, so we have to go do our jobs sometimes.
Sponsors pay and get preferential treatment (even those who are consistently dishonest and hurt the reputation of this site). You may not get paid to be here, but someone does - that's the only possible explanation.

Welcome back

Last edited by AG1LE; 07-24-2017 at 10:05 AM.
AG1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:55 AM   #10
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:27 AM   #11
Rodney2011

Drives: 2011 1SS RS
Cell phones.

If it doesn't fit on a cell phone screen it's out.
Swipe this, finger that.

One more step towards idiocracy.
Rodney2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:59 AM   #12
The_Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney2011 View Post
Cell phones.

If it doesn't fit on a cell phone screen it's out.
Swipe this, finger that.

One more step towards idiocracy.

We can try to belittle a generation of technological advancement, or we can capitalize. We know modern users appreciate visual data presentation, simple keywords, and clean displays. We also know that there are a lot less people doing their own installs for two reasons: less people know how to do the work; and cars are increasingly complex.

This is an opportunity for GM to double down on the experience and skill of certified technicians. If they think their technicians are capable of ZL1 drivetrain swaps on SS-badged Camaros, then they shouldn't be passive about it. This needs to be well-known. The following monologue should be part of ever Camaro and Corvette sale.

After signing buyer's order: "Congratulations on your Camaro. I'll get this paperwork to the manager to get your finance work started. Please fee free to flip through this binder of performance parts while you wait."

Upon return: "I brought you another coffee. It's going to take a few minutes to get you in the finance office. While we wait, I wanted to talk to you about Chevrolet Performance. A lot of performance buyers also buy aftermarket components. GM manufactured an incredible machine and will not void your warranty for parts that we see, and we even warranty these upgrades. We offer some custom parts as well as upgrades from higher trim packages, and we can roll these products into your financing if you like. Take a look at these." At this point, the salesman has already asked probing questions to determine if he or she is talking to a casual buyer or a performance enthusiast and should offer products that align with the kind of buyer present.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:35 PM   #13
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Frankly I think a big stumbling block is that you'll pay more, usually, than you would in the aftermarket for those parts..

And GM will still likely kill any factory warranty because they still would view GMPP as being aftermarket.

Offer competitive pricing with the aftermarket and don't nuke your warranty or even impact it at all..then you'll be talking.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:56 PM   #14
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
This is a great thread.

In May of last year, I was asked by Chevrolet Performance to take a survey. It asked me several questions about their performance products... what I would buy, what I would like to see, among other things. It was basically items you are asking and proposing to them.

I would hope to see those exact changes in the very near future.

Hope and Change...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote