Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 03-27-2016, 02:32 PM   #1
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
How ELSE Can We Lower?

Yes, I know about springs and coilovers. For those of us happy with the performance of our 1LE, ZL1, or Z/28 suspensions, those options may not have the same performance characteristics of our stock setup.

That begs the big question of how else we can adjust our ride height while still maintaining the use of our stock or purchased equipment. Are there options out there, or do I have to choose between driving the way I want and looking good?
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 02:52 PM   #2
AG1LE

Drives: '14 1LE
If I recall correctly, Justice Pete came up with a way to do this on the Z/28 without springs or coilovers (something other than the modified knuckle). You might give him a call.
AG1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 04:49 PM   #3
The_Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG1LE View Post
If I recall correctly, Justice Pete came up with a way to do this on the Z/28 without springs or coilovers (something other than the modified knuckle). You might give him a call.
That's a good call. I was going to reach out to him anyway, but I wanted to hear if we had any feedback from the peanut gallery.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:08 AM   #4
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Are there options out there, or do I have to choose between driving the way I want and looking good?
How are you driving? Lowering the car with Springs lowers the Center of Gravity which will make you car handle better. And it makes your Camaro better looking!
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:26 PM   #5
Imiuru4

Drives: 15 ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
How are you driving? Lowering the car with Springs lowers the Center of Gravity which will make you car handle better. And it makes your Camaro better looking!
i think he is more concerned with spring wt. i have the same dilemma when considering a lowering spring or the le suspension i have and how it will change the way the car works, cause anyone with an le, zl1, or z28 knows the car works
Imiuru4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:32 PM   #6
The_Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
Right now, I'm looking for an affordable solution to simply lower the car. After some research, I've concluded that a linear spring rate would be desirable with up to a 1.5" drop as long as I could avoid hitting the bump stops.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:21 PM   #7
2012LS3VERT

Drives: 2012 2SSRS Vert, Black w/M6
I have lowered the rear of a Z/28 by moving the lower strut mounting hole down in the stock rear LCA. Owner was happy with the car, only wanted to bring the rear down 1/2". any more than that requires new springs or coilovers.
2012LS3VERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:33 PM   #8
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Right now, I'm looking for an affordable solution to simply lower the car. After some research, I've concluded that a linear spring rate would be desirable with up to a 1.5" drop as long as I could avoid hitting the bump stops.
I sent you a pm, but I will explain here too about a Linear vs. Dual Rate Spring. On our Dual Rates, the lower Rate section become "Dead Coils" when weight is on them and then they effectively become Linear. The "Dead Coils" are there for when the car is on a 2 Post Lift or if you ever got "Air" going over a rise in the road - they expand at that point to prevent the Springs from popping out.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote