Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 12-31-2015, 11:15 PM   #1
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Camaro Build from Scratch

Every once in a while, there's a story somewhere about a car junkie building a car from scratch in the garage. The Camaro has some unique potential in this area.

For all DIY projects, a build guide helps. I'd recommend the COPO Build Book (GM part number 88958767).

Before you begin, you should figure out whether you're building a track-only car or a street car. Street cars have many more restrictions, including smog, lights, and safety to keep in mind. For the state of California, I found a page at the DMV that provides paperwork and requirements for the build.

Now that you know what your local DMV will do and have a build guide, let's get into the parts you'll need.

Every car has a body. You have some options here. You can go with a GM body-in-white (GM part number 19243374). This would be the most stock option, and it would likely bolt onto the leftovers, like a stock fascia, more easily than any alternative. On the other hand, you could get a fiberglass body and build a custom frame under it. Since I lack the welding experience to build from scratch, I'd likely go the OEM route here.

Your body would also need a driveline to get the power you're going to add to the wheels. GM makes this easy with the ZL1 kit, available for automatic (GM part number 22959395) and manual (GM part number 22959394) transmissions.

You'll need a suspension to help transfer weight. GM offers the 1LE suspension (GM part number 23123397) and the Z/28 suspension (GM part number 23464729).

What's left is the engine, transmission, brakes, wheels, tires, and interior components to have a functioning car.

The moral of this build is that you can design a car from scratch and get it titled, in this case using GM parts to build the ultimate car.

Can anyone else point to some leads for other missing parts?

Discuss.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:21 PM   #2
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
Just a heads up. In our state and I think same applies in other states,if you do that you would pay high tax when you register at the dmv. The tax would be more than a brand new car because they take it as a full on build based on your cost. There's no way around this because you also have to have the car looked at and inspected by the DMV inspections ( not your local garage etc..) they will base this off your build value . You can't say well it cost me 20g's.. When they are looking at a 10k+ motor alone. Best to start with a salvage title or like vintage cars something with a clean title to just start with. They only will tax you then on what you paid for on the purchase of the titled car and not a full on custom build cost. Just putting it out there so you are aware of the tax etc.
Jayjellyfish212 is offline   Reply With Quote