Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-04-2016, 02:35 PM   #1
Highjumper

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
Hollow SLP Cats? 103 octane.

Hey guys and gals. I have a full SLP exhaust Headers to mufflers. I'm getting a smaller pulley on the supercharger and am going to have to run around 102 octane. Which can be bad on Cats and 02 sensors. Getting it tuned next week.
Question: Should I hollow out my SLP high flow cats? Not really expecting it to do anything but be a little louder and flow better. Leaded gas is supposed to harm the cats. They are 7 years old now with 19k miles on them.
If the SLP's are pretty open all ready I'll just leave them. But don't want them getting plugged up either. I put around 3k miles per year on the car.
Thanks. Having a hard time with the "search" on this specific subject.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...1&d=1470339221
Attached Images

Highjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:36 PM   #2
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
The miles on them is really what matters and they should be good for at least 50k more IMO. Your exhaust would smell richer, and well you would not be legal... But its something some do and I know there are people out there who have had trouble with their cats but its usually a supercharged too rich deal mostly. I run 102 all the time its the best you can get here except you can get a specialty gas with no ethanol in a rare place in farm land. For more $ of course. My cats looked new inside after 10k cammed inside. If your worried you could always look inside them. High flow cats now are a series of rods that are horizontal in the pipe and free flow very easily with no restriction what so ever.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:47 PM   #3
762ch

Drives: 2011 2SS
It will be very loud without cats, it probably won't smell as bad as you might think. My car is cammed with no cats, the overlap makes it stink really bad at idle. But cruising it's not noticeable.

I'd avoid hollowing the cats, order the off road pipes ($100? )in case u want to go back to having cats.

BTW it will be very very loud without cats!
762ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:17 AM   #4
Highjumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
The miles on them is really what matters and they should be good for at least 50k more IMO. Your exhaust would smell richer, and well you would not be legal... But its something some do and I know there are people out there who have had trouble with their cats but its usually a supercharged too rich deal mostly. I run 102 all the time its the best you can get here except you can get a specialty gas with no ethanol in a rare place in farm land. For more $ of course. My cats looked new inside after 10k cammed inside. If your worried you could always look inside them. High flow cats now are a series of rods that are horizontal in the pipe and free flow very easily with no restriction what so ever.
Thanks. I was leaning pretty hard to leaving them. Just wanted some other opinions.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:19 AM   #5
Highjumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 762ch View Post
It will be very loud without cats, it probably won't smell as bad as you might think. My car is cammed with no cats, the overlap makes it stink really bad at idle. But cruising it's not noticeable.

I'd avoid hollowing the cats, order the off road pipes ($100? )in case u want to go back to having cats.

BTW it will be very very loud without cats!
Thanks. I'll leave them and get it tuned with them on.