The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Z06 Discussions

Old 05-13-2015, 12:25 PM   #1
ElmoTheDestroyer

Drives: 78 Camaro Z28
Z06 Driveline/Electronics transplant

Hi everyone!

I am close to starting a rather large project. I intend to put a 2015 LT4 driveline in a 3rd gen Z28. Mechanically shouldn't be a big deal, but my question is about electronics...

What would be entailed in putting all of the Z06 electronics in another car? At minimum I'd like to make a custom dash and use the Z06 insturment cluster (love all that fancy technology! ) ..

I would also like to put as much of the stability assist, traction control, etc into it also...

So my questions are:
What parts are needed exactly to put the instrument cluster/navigation in another car and have it all work correctly?

Are there any components that simply couldn't be transferred? I'd imagine most of the sensors and stuff could be retrofitted into another car, but I'm guessing there might be some weird proprietary stuff (special gears/sensors built into the hubs or something like that which would be difficult/super expensive to try to retrofit into an older car)

Would the heads up display work, or is that all dependent on the angle of the windshield, thus would not be compatible in an old Camaro with a much less slanted windshield?

Anyway, any input you guys have, or links you could point me towards would be super helpful, I appreciate your input/advice!

Have a good week!
--ElmoTheDestroyer
ElmoTheDestroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:16 AM   #2
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
It isn't going to be easy. All the various control modules work together (not just ECU and TCM). It even gets down to switches in the door for the VATS system...if they don't communicate back to the BCM it will lock you out. It will be a really big project. You may want to wait until they release a LT4 crate engine and pick one of those up.

Last edited by GretchenGotGrowl; 05-14-2015 at 04:38 PM.
GretchenGotGrowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:46 PM   #3
ElmoTheDestroyer

Drives: 78 Camaro Z28
Right on, Thanks for the info...

I kinda figured it would turn into a monster of a project... I'm sure getting a crate engine would make getting the car simply running alot easier, but I still want to try to figure out a way to use all of the digital displays for the dash/radio/etc.

I have plenty of time to figure it out, saving money right now, will take a while to save up enough cash to pull this off, in the mean time I'll hopefully get everything planned out, and have some sort of game plan figured out for when I finally get enough cash saved up for a complete doner car and stuff.

Will be a pain, but I think in the end it will be an awesome project (Pro-touring 3rd gen Camaro filled up with as much 2015ish technology as I can squeeze in) ...

Definitely the hardest part is getting the electronics figured out/making it all work properly. That's the kind of thing I enjoy doing though, being an electronics/computer geek.

Only sucky part is it doesn't seem like this has been done by anyone (probably for good reason), so I'm sure there will be a bit of pioneering/major migraines!

Oh well, should be fun!! Thanks for the input!
ElmoTheDestroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:40 AM   #4
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Good luck.