#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 09-26-2018, 04:02 PM   #43
mdmoore23

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
I am not saying one way or the other , as there has not been wind tunnel testing, however consider this to keep things in context and not blown out of proportion...

GM has been using the suitcase design all the way back to the C5 Corvette days. MANY, MANY people have replaced the stock exhausts with non-suitcase systems and have raced these cars on track, and doing a quick search, there does not seem to be any issues of stability or loss on control issues.

In fact , at one point in the C5 days, GM actually teamed up with Corsa (which does NOT use the suitcase design) and was a dealer level option.

Maybe there is some air differences back there, but if there was any issue of it causing negative effects either with stability OR lifting the rear-end, you would have heard about it AND the aftermarket exhaust companies would have altered their design.

People tend to take things like this to the extreme and just run with it. I have had Corsa's on every one of my Corvette's and all of them routinely saw triple digit speeds and NEVER once have I had any issues with airflow or stability.

Lets keep things in perspective here and use some logic and real world cases and not our imagination.
Exactly. Calling the rear bumper minus suitcase muffler a parachute is definitely using imagination. If this was truly a concern we would have heard about it by now.
mdmoore23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 04:04 PM   #44
mdmoore23

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by collinms View Post
It's my understanding the ZL1 does not have AFM.
The SS does though, right?
mdmoore23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 04:09 PM   #45
collinms

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmoore23 View Post
The SS does though, right?
Yes, I believe so.
collinms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 04:13 PM   #46
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Yes, I believe so.
I believe in the case of the V8 in the SS, only auto's have it. I know for a fact the SS 1LE does not, which is manual only.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 04:32 PM   #47
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
I guess me and the engineers at GM just have active imaginations. Call it what you want, but the folks at GM actually do design based on airflow modeling and testing. If there were truly no difference GM would be using cheaper and more universal muffler designs, but they don't. That should clue you in that there is a difference.

I can certainly believe there isn't much info online about airflow issues with aftermarket exhausts, but that doesn't necessarily mean the problem doesn't exist. Most people don't notice things like that.

I absolutely believe the difference is negligible for the majority, but at the same time I bet it isn't negligible at the 140+ speeds I regularly hit.

Dumping on a vendor thread was not my intention. I'd be a buyer for a lighter design that maintains proper airflow, and I was curious when I saw this new system.

Sorry to interrupt the barking and howling about the sound of the exhaust in the video. Please carry on.

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
2016 Camaro SS M6 w/LT4 (Sold)
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 04:48 PM   #48
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
I guess me and the engineers at GM just have active imaginations. Call it what you want, but the folks at GM actually do design based on airflow modeling and testing. If there were truly no difference GM would be using cheaper and more universal muffler designs, but they don't. That should clue you in that there is a difference.

I can certainly believe there isn't much info online about airflow issues with aftermarket exhausts, but that doesn't necessarily mean the problem doesn't exist. Most people don't notice things like that.

I absolutely believe the difference is negligible for the majority, but at the same time I bet it isn't negligible at the 140+ speeds I regularly hit.

Dumping on a vendor thread was not my intention. I'd be a buyer for a lighter design that maintains proper airflow, and I was curious when I saw this new system.

Sorry to interrupt the barking and howling about the sound of the exhaust in the video. Please carry on.
I don't doubt there are airflow changes, but like you said, I think it is negligible. Worst case, it's a good excuse to get a custom diffuser

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:47 PM   #49
Torquem
Bannable

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales@Phastek View Post
Unfortunately the cat back system is not compatible with the automatics AFM option because they do not have the mounting brackets for the valves. Also with the convertibles, the extra chassis bracing that comes with them will not allow for the cat back system to mount correctly. The convertible can use their axle back system and still obtain the awesome sound.

As others have mentioned, the Zl1 does not have afm valves on the exhaust. Does this mean that the cat back systems WILL work on the Zl1 automatic coupes?

2017 ZL1 A10 - Hyper Blue Metallic
Rotofab CAI, TM ported TB, AWE non res touring catback with PLP's
Torquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 08:39 AM   #50
1LE Red Dragon
Train Driver

Drives: 2018 Summit White ZL1 1LE
Signs point to yes... This exhaust was designed for the SS, but works on the ZL1 it appears because they are the same exhaust. So I would think that all ZL1 exhausts use the manual trans SS exhaust design since they are absent of the AFM valves.

/ / Katech TB // RotoFab Dry // Borla 60606 // ATI Super Damper / /
1LE Red Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 12:43 PM   #51
Josh/AWE

Drives: 1LE
AVAILABLE NOW.
Josh/AWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 12:54 PM   #52
collinms

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Summit White
Josh, how much louder would the touring cat-back non-resonated be compared to stock exhaust? Most importantly when just driving normal and not WOT. This is my biggest complaint about the stock exhaust is that the car is silent until you go WOT.
collinms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 02:47 PM   #53
Josh/AWE

Drives: 1LE
Quote:
Josh, how much louder would the touring cat-back non-resonated be compared to stock exhaust? Most importantly when just driving normal and not WOT. This is my biggest complaint about the stock exhaust is that the car is silent until you go WOT.
We hated it too. Our systems let you know you still have a 6.2L under the hood when not WOT. Check all of the videos in the launch thread -- the cinematic one as well as the sterile, informative videos -- they feature various styles of driving.
Josh/AWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 09:19 PM   #54
lownslowss
PaPa Smurf

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
I have a great idle video. It's better than atak without the rasp. My car at idle sounds like it has a little bump stick added now.