Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-22-2016, 02:36 PM   #1
14SlomaroSS

Drives: 2014 2ss camaro LS3
lifters

when yall swap your camshaft is it completely necessary to change the lifters? my car only has 18k miles and swapping the cam and other parts this weekend.
14SlomaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:26 PM   #2
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Best bet is to ask the cam supplier what they suggest for lifters, valve springs, push rods...

It's not a one answer for all. Depends on a lot of factors.

If the cam is pretty mild, the stock LS3 lifters should be fine. Would be a nice time to upgrade the oil pump, timing set, springs...and start using really good oil. With a performance cam and stiffer springs you want more anti-wear stuff, and less detergent.

3 bolt cam? 3 seems to be better than 1. I've never seen a 3 bolt have a mishap on the timing gear. Can't say the same for 1 bolts.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:35 PM   #3
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
IMO, new camshaft means new lifters.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:53 PM   #4
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Many have used the dowel method to keep the lifters up..... and with limited miles on the lifters you have now they would IMO most likely be ok, the thing is you would want to inspect the camshaft carefully as the rollers do track on the cam....and in many engines a cam swap always makes for new lifters or they go to crap..... However we are roller, and many think you do not have to do a break in with a roller cam either and they are so wrong...... if the cam looks real good the lifters rollers most likely look pretty good and the stock drivetrain being less aggressive would stress it less. I do recommend using a break in oil like driven racing br30 the best I know of. I have read over the years of those with more than your mileage having no problems, I would say over 30k I would worry more.....

But then again I like to play it safe in aspects of a build now as a mistake can be very costly with our engines and its No Small block chevy....... no easy to remove lifters that are flat tappet hydraulics....

Nope you have to have head gaskets in hand and new torque to yield bolts or studs and the lifters for 95-100 off ebay .... same part number for ls3 versus ls7 they are the same also.. Anyway good luck.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:23 PM   #5
14SlomaroSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Best bet is to ask the cam supplier what they suggest for lifters, valve springs, push rods...

It's not a one answer for all. Depends on a lot of factors.

If the cam is pretty mild, the stock LS3 lifters should be fine. Would be a nice time to upgrade the oil pump, timing set, springs...and start using really good oil. With a performance cam and stiffer springs you want more anti-wear stuff, and less detergent.

3 bolt cam? 3 seems to be better than 1. I've never seen a 3 bolt have a mishap on the timing gear. Can't say the same for 1 bolts.
ya im doing the Lethal Racing Night fury, btr dual valve springs with titanium retainers, 7.400 pushrods, 3 bolt timing gear, iwis chain, new dampner bolt, chain guide, melling oil pump and the comp cam trunion upgrade while im in there.... i talked to btr and they said with the low miles of the engine they wouldnt swap the lifters just wanted a second opinion.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:27 PM   #6
14SlomaroSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
Many have used the dowel method to keep the lifters up..... and with limited miles on the lifters you have now they would IMO most likely be ok, the thing is you would want to inspect the camshaft carefully as the rollers do track on the cam....and in many engines a cam swap always makes for new lifters or they go to crap..... However we are roller, and many think you do not have to do a break in with a roller cam either and they are so wrong...... if the cam looks real good the lifters rollers most likely look pretty good and the stock drivetrain being less aggressive would stress it less. I do recommend using a break in oil like driven racing br30 the best I know of. I have read over the years of those with more than your mileage having no problems, I would say over 30k I would worry more.....

But then again I like to play it safe in aspects of a build now as a mistake can be very costly with our engines and its No Small block chevy....... no easy to remove lifters that are flat tappet hydraulics....

Nope you have to have head gaskets in hand and new torque to yield bolts or studs and the lifters for 95-100 off ebay .... same part number for ls3 versus ls7 they are the same also.. Anyway good luck.
thanks!! ya im doing the Lethal Racing Night fury, btr dual valve springs with titanium retainers, 7.400 pushrods, 3 bolt timing gear, iwis chain, new dampner bolt, chain guide, melling oil pump and the comp cam trunion upgrade while im in there.... i talked to btr and they said with the low miles of the engine they wouldnt swap the lifters just wanted a second opinion i have a buddy thats a top graduate of SAM racing school and its a school based more on the LS engine type.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:29 PM   #7
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
get a Katech C5r chain. the iwis chain is no better then stock. dont need the trunion kit or get the http://www.straubtechnologies.com/ls...trunnion-kits/. the stock rockers are fine. the 2010 and older rockers had problems not yours.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:33 PM   #8
14SlomaroSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
get a Katech C5r chain. the iwis chain is no better then stock. dont need the trunion kit or get the http://www.straubtechnologies.com/ls...trunnion-kits/. the stock rockers are fine. the 2010 and older rockers had problems not yours.
trunion kit is extra insurance... ive had buddies of mine have had the needle bearing all in their engine because they didnt upgrade while they were in there
Old 03-22-2016, 11:10 PM   #9
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
Ever since cams went from flat tappet cast iron to steel roller the theory went right out the window. Unless you are talking about an all out race engine with gobs of valve spring pressure I would re-use the lifters providing they look good and aren't presently bleeding down too fast.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:44 PM   #10
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
more trunnion kits have failed then stock
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 03:23 PM   #11
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14SlomaroSS View Post
ya im doing the Lethal Racing Night fury, btr dual valve springs with titanium retainers, 7.400 pushrods, 3 bolt timing gear, iwis chain, new dampner bolt, chain guide, melling oil pump and the comp cam trunion upgrade while im in there.... i talked to btr and they said with the low miles of the engine they wouldnt swap the lifters just wanted a second opinion.
I have the comp trunion upgrade in an LS3 that I use in a road race car. It has 2 yrs of abuse on them and they haven't fallen apart yet. But... next time I'm in there, I'm probably going to do the newer style of bronze bushing trunion upgrade.

That's what I would do if I were you, is consider that newer bushing style trunion or ask BTR what they think of it.

Lifters should be fine, just inspect all the old cam lobes real close. If all the lobes are perfect lifters should be too. Make sure to ask if the cam has the same base circle. That will determine if that stock 7.40 PR is right.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 03:32 PM   #12
sdynak

Drives: 2010 1SS
As long as there is a catch can you will be fine..

Ok.. sorry.. honestly you are getting great feedback here.. Low miles, cam looks ok should not be a issue.. many have done without a problem.. There are always some here or there that don't go well even when thought all was done properly. It would not be expected but unless you go all new there is always that chance and second guess if it were to go wrong.. Now I would probably be that one to take the risk though. Unless replacing the heads with some nice ported ones it's hard to justify pulling them to change the lifters when just doing a cam on a low mile install.
2010 1SS LS3, Black, 235/250, .621/.615, 114 + 4, Kooks Stepped Headers, 3.91's, Bo White PTB, Flowmaster Mufflers, Cold Air Industries CAI, Apex Scoop & Windshield Washer Relocate, SLP Wheels, Skip Shift Eliminate, Barton Flat Stick, OEM HID/Halos, Dyno Tuned by ECS

Last edited by sdynak; 03-23-2016 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Typo
sdynak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:08 PM   #13
All2Easy

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #997 Gone 2019 SS 1LE
When I installed a cam in my 2012 Corvette GS, stock cam looked new at 10,000 miles. Builder said no need for new lifters. However, he has seen many install situations with mid to higher mileage that he recommended new lifters as a part of the install.
All2Easy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 06:09 PM   #14
supergt99

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS 1LE
i wouldnt change the lifters unless theres a problem with them.
supergt99 is offline   Reply With Quote