Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-07-2015, 10:03 AM   #1
richard200593

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary RS
Almost ready for first detail

Starting the ordering process for my first big detail. I'll admit I'm an Adams fanboy until I find a product I don't like from them I will continue to buy only Adams. my question is do I need to buy and apply brilliant glaze and paint sealant directly after polish or can I wait a month or two as buying the pc and all the other detail items add up quickly.
Zl1 factory Reproduction wheels
Bmr 1.2/1.4 springs/Oracle plasma drl lights, footwell ambient lighting, 45th Gobo lights
*Audio:
Memphis pr600 amp/Fosgate 12" t0 sub/******** stealth box
richard200593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:07 AM   #2
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Glaze is to hide imperfections. If you polish, you don't need to glaze.

No one hates on Adam's for their products not working, their products work really well. Dylan let me try some and I have to admit that there are some superb products in their lineup.

It's just often times you can get just as good products for much less money. Nothing wrong with sticking to Adam's though.

The people most everyone hates is Adam's army ie the people that go around saying that they've only tried Adam's and it's so good that every other product must be inferior. It's the people that don't mind bashing products they've never tried that tend to get on people's nerves.

You don't seem like that, so have fun and any questions, just ask

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:49 AM   #3
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
I did my spring cleaning on Saturday. I washed with dish soap, clayed, washed again, applies a coat of Liquid Paint Sealant and a coat of Buttery Wax. She was smooth as a baby's ass when i was done.
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:04 PM   #4
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE AKA V1LE
after polishing you need something on the paint to at least protect it until you get your new stuff
Old 04-07-2015, 01:36 PM   #5
richard200593

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinman View Post
after polishing you need something on the paint to at least protect it until you get your new stuff
I have the buttery wax that I apply every month-two months depending on how much the car is driven, for now that will work to protect correct, eventually I want to use sealant than wax
Bmr 1.2/1.4 springs/Oracle plasma drl lights, footwell ambient lighting, 45th Gobo lights
*Audio:
Old 04-07-2015, 02:31 PM   #6
richard200593

Just saw Adams has a sale going on right now, so bought everything needed plus they have a new h2o quick sealant that is spray on figured I would try it out. Going on a long road trip in a week and a half and after I get back pictures will follow of my first detail
*Audio:
Old 04-09-2015, 09:27 AM   #7
richard200593

So I know I'm asking a ton of questions but Ibe been searching all morning and since so many people use so many different methods I'm a little confused on some things. First, is this the correct process I should be doing:
Wash normal (no dry)
Dawn wash/dry
Apply vrt
Mask off stripes/molding
Clay all surfaces
Correcting polish
Finishing polish
Alcohol spray down
Water down
H2o sealant
Buttery wax
... After I do my test spot of polishing, I can go over the entire car with that paint correcting polish than wipe with mf, than paint finishing polish, or always do 2x2 sections of back and forth? Last after applying alcohol do I just wet my car to apply h2o sealant or should I just re wash completely. Thanks everyone for the help
*Audio:
Old 04-09-2015, 10:00 AM   #8
BRAVO 2SS
Aim Small...Miss Small

Drives: 2018 ZL1 M6
Wow...that's defi going to look sharp when you're done. Don't know about the alcohol...but save some time and after using correcting polish, don't wipe it down...just go to finish polishing. If done correctly...it will probably take you two full days...probably three.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:24 AM   #9
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE AKA V1LE
I just dawn wash right off the bat, no need to wash twice, clay bar, Polish, sealant, glaze, Americana twice for me and done
Old 04-09-2015, 10:38 AM   #10
richard200593

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAVO 2SS View Post
Wow...that's defi going to look sharp when you're done. Don't know about the alcohol...but save some time and after using correcting polish, don't wipe it down...just go to finish polishing. If done correctly...it will probably take you two full days...probably three.
I'm hoping to pull it off in one 15-16 hour day.... Unfortunately I have to go about 15 mins away to a spot where i have access to everything I need and I imagine driving in between these processes isn't reccomended. The car is well taken care of and not to many swirls or scratches so I'm hoping I will mostly just be using the polishing pad, maybe I'll try to arrange for two days just in case
*Audio:
Old 04-09-2015, 10:39 AM   #11
richard200593

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinman View Post
I just dawn wash right off the bat, no need to wash twice, clay bar, Polish, sealant, glaze, Americana twice for me and done
That makes sense thanks for that, it will defintely save some time and some towels lol
*Audio:
Old 04-09-2015, 01:45 PM   #12
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Skip the dawn wash. A lot of people, me included, used to think it strips car wax. It does no such thing. The SURFACTANTS in dawn cause the loss of sheeting and beading. But remove those surfactants with IPA and beading and sheeting will return.

So what can you use to remove car wax? Either a paint cleansing product or compound/polish. Even clay has not removed wax in my testing.

What does this mean to you? Nothing, apart from that you can skip the dawn wash since you're polishing anyways.

Also, don't apply trim restorer before taping. Your tape won't stick.

I also clay before taping so that I can get into tight corners around trim without worrying about the tape peeling up.

Hope that helps!

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
Old 04-09-2015, 01:49 PM   #13
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Don't wait to wipe residue off but yes you can do all the compounding, then polish. You don't need to go back and forth, but if it's your first time, I recommend using a light over each section to verify your work

Old 04-09-2015, 01:55 PM   #14
richard200593

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
Skip the dawn wash. A lot of people, me included, used to think it strips car wax. It does no such thing. The SURFACTANTS in dawn cause the loss of sheeting and beading. But remove those surfactants with IPA and beading and sheeting will return.

So what can you use to remove car wax? Either a paint cleansing product or compound/polish. Even clay has not removed wax in my testing.

What does this mean to you? Nothing, apart from that you can skip the dawn wash since you're polishing anyways.

Also, don't apply trim restorer before taping. Your tape won't stick.

I also clay before taping so that I can get into tight corners around trim without worrying about the tape peeling up.

Hope that helps!

Very helpful! So should I apply vrt directly after polishing? Reason for thinking I had to do it before was so I don't stain the trim with polish but as long as I tape well that shouldn't be an issue correct?
*Audio: