The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 03-24-2014, 03:29 PM   #1
binko

Drives: Honda Accord
Clutch Chatter

I have had several posts about the clutch chatter on my 7 speed C7.
Just to summarize, the car has had it since the first 10 feet of driving off after delivery (Kerbeck). After returning it to Kerbeck, they acknowledged that chatter but could not confirm if that was normal or not. They would not let me try another for comparison.
After taking it to another dealer, they acknowledged that indeed it does have clutch chatter and are replacing the clutch and flywheel. Since the car has been there for a full week now, I stopped by to check on progress. OMG-the whole car is apart in pieces from the torque tube to the trans to the exhaust and the entire rear suspension. It appears this is what is required to replace the clutch. I asked the mechanic about his observations on my original clutch and he stated that is had burn marks and hot spots on it. The car had 6 miles on it when i picked it up (I assume form factory testing and moving around during shipment). Does anyone know how a brand new car would have clutch hotspots upon delivery?
I sure hope it all gets put together exactly the way it's supposed to with no rattles or other issues.
binko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:58 PM   #2
C7Driver

Drives: 2014 Z51 Lime Rock Green
Just my .02 cents but a person who isn't familiar with a manual transmission can easily cook the clutch if they are driving it and try to get it up a small incline (like the ramp of a car carrier) or get stopped in traffic on a hill. If they keep the RPM's up and use the clutch to maintain the car's position without it rolling back, the clutch can take a beating.
Good luck with the repair and enjoy your new Stingray.
C7Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:00 PM   #3
Kochaloch

Drives: C7 Z51, BENZ GLK 350, Titan
Can you describe what it sounded like? I noticed the first day I had mine that the clutch was a little clanky/loud compared to my previous manuals but i figured it was normal.

8/20/2013 - 1100
1/16/2014 - 2000
1/20/2014 - 3000
1/24/2014 - 3300
2/10/2014 - 3400
2/14/2014 - 3800
2/26/2014 - Delivered!!!
Kochaloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:58 PM   #4
binko

It was not as much a sound as it was a shaking coming thru the car when the clutch was being SLOWLY released at a very light throttle. The shaking was not severe but you could tell that it was not two perfectly smooth surfaces engaging smoothly against each other. It was more like there were high spots on each surface and when they lined up against each other, there would be greater engagement of the clutch. Think of a brake rotor that is warped and you get uneven stopping at low speed.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:42 PM   #5
binko

Finally have my car back. entire clutch and flywheel assembly was replaced. Chatter is gone and I am very satisfied with the work and neatness of Paramus Chevrolet.
Although it took a week and a half, they were very meticulous with the work and returned the car fully detailed.