The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-01-2019, 04:12 PM   #6623
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
It's been speculated that GM is back tracking on naming the 4.2L "Blackwing" in order to re-use the name for the high-performance V cars.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:20 PM   #6624
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Blackwing is just a cringy name in my opinion. Calling the cars V series is just cleaner.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:28 PM   #6625
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Blackwing is just a cringy name in my opinion. Calling the cars V series is just cleaner.
I'm still trying to figure out what was wrong with V and Vsport.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:16 AM   #6626
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Agreed.

A. We have been waiting since May when the new V's were unveiled.
B. Who thought it was a good idea to abandon the V as top dog?
C. Why did this individual(s) believe it was a good idea to abandon the V as top dog?
D. What is this new name that is apparently so powerful & fascinating, that it simply emanates the true meaning of performance when spoken?

I'm reserving all judgement until the unveil of these new luxury pavement pounders. I want the name and all of the specs, then I'll decide. I'm guessing they will answer some (if not all) of my questions at the release.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:50 AM   #6627
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Im still trying to figure out what Cadillac is doing in general with their new naming structure and numbers and power numbers on trunks and what the hell Cadillac!!!!!!!!!
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:39 AM   #6628
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Im still trying to figure out what Cadillac is doing in general with their new naming structure and numbers and power numbers on trunks and what the hell Cadillac!!!!!!!!!
No clue on the 'why', but the 'what' is as follows:

• Cars are CT#, crossovers are XT#, & bigger number = bigger vehicle.
  • Escalade is Escalade though.
  • Numbers on the trunk aren't for power, but torque ... in newton meters ... rounded up ... generously.
For a naming structure, the rules aren't too hard to follow. But they're already running into problems with the torque thing. I forget the details, but basically, they're adding an engine (turbo4) to an existing vehicle, and one of the engines it has (a V6) already makes about the same torque, so they should both end up with the same big round number badge out back. But since that is supposed to differentiate powertrains, they can't do that. Maybe they should have picked kilowatts of power instead of newton meters of torque.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 08-02-2019, 10:55 AM   #6629
shaffe

So someone is going to end up with a 2020 Cadillac CT4 V 400- or an XT5 AWD 300

IMO they really should just leave the torque numbers off the back
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
Old 08-02-2019, 12:04 PM   #6630
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Adding to the confusion there's been photos of an XT4-V running around with a 2.7T badge.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:36 PM   #6631
JhonnyGTR

Drives: La Macarena
JhonnyGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 03:58 PM   #6632
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Welp I guess I gotta learn another weird, obscure naming scheme for cars. At least that Newton meters thing could be used as a conversation starter lol
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 07:23 PM   #6633
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Adding to the confusion there's been photos of an XT4-V running around with a 2.7T badge.
I have serious doubts about that one. Right now the 2.0T is both FWD and RWD. The 2.7T (built from the same engine platform) is only RWD. I have pretty good information that there’s a 2.5T, also off the same platform, that will be FWD only. So why turn the 2.7T sideways for the smallest vehicle in the portfolio instead of just using the 2.5T that is already FWD? And putting the 2.7T badge on the tailgate of the Cadillac right after disclosing the “new” naming scheme. Too much that doesn’t add up.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Last edited by Martinjlm; 08-05-2019 at 10:20 AM.
Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 09:05 AM   #6634
shaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
Welp I guess I gotta learn another weird, obscure naming scheme for cars. At least that Newton meters thing could be used as a conversation starter lol
non car people already barely know what torque is, now we are going to have to explain to them another rating system lol
Old 08-08-2019, 06:52 AM   #6635
Burt
Cone Killer

Drives: 2012 SS
Quote:
non car people already barely know what torque is, now we are going to have to explain to them another rating system lol
I can't wait for all of the salesmen to get to explain a newton-meter to buyers as well.

Selling off my remaining wheels, tires, 27mm front sway bar, and MGW shift knob. Get them out of my house before my wife puts me out!
Burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:09 AM   #6636
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt View Post
I can't wait for all of the salesmen to get to explain a newton-meter to buyers as well.
This would be so much easier if America used the metric system.

Camaro Fest sub-forum

Tags
fenwickhockey65, gm questions, questions