Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-04-2019, 11:34 AM   #29
dtek

Drives: 2012 1lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasthatacop? View Post
Well... it still sounds cool, but the bass in the exhaust note has lost. That's weird. The first video (before changes) actually sounds similar to the V8 startup.

Just deleted the stock resonators and I got my bass back! They just did it about 10 mins ago so it will settle and get a tad deeper aswell!

https://youtu.be/t5DQEVp__wI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
• Overkill 80mm TB
• JacFab Extendolator
• JacFab LaminatorFX
• OverKill 93 Octane Tune
dtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 11:35 AM   #30
dtek

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
Most likely you should have left it alone..LOL But I would have to say Solo high flows to remove rasp and some kind of removal of the stock resonator that's most likely the tin vibration and install of some axleback that includes mufflers....many do things like flow masters or borlas even on a v-6..check for others sounds and go from there...Good Luck!

Here’s the stock resonator delete I just did about 10 mins ago:
https://youtu.be/t5DQEVp__wI

• Overkill 80mm TB
• JacFab Extendolator
• JacFab LaminatorFX
Old 10-04-2019, 12:53 PM   #31
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtek View Post
Let me ask y’all some questions about my current exhaust setup.

My setup:
2012 Camaro 1lt
Custom 2.5” Catless downpipes > 2.5” pipe > Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe (Part#11386) > 2.5” Pipe > Stock Resonators > 2.5” Pipe > 2.5” In - 4” Out Stainless Exhaust Tips

Questions:
1. Why isn’t my exhaust crazy loud and actually pretty quiet?

2. Why isn’t my exhaust note deeper? It still has that ricey high pitch while under a big load sound. (I’m not expecting a v8 note but dang this is not deep at all.)

3. Does my system have “too much” resonance? Is the Resonated X-Pipe plus Stock Resonators too much?

4. What should I change? I was thinking about upgrading to 3” pipe all the way through.
Straight piping any car (what you did) will make it raspy and sound like crap. If you want a deeper tone you should do 3 things; remove the stock resonator (which I see you already did), install a set of hi-flo cats, and look into a set of axle backs (most people call them mufflers).
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 01:11 PM   #32
IKILLEDSUPERMAN_ZL1

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
We don't need no stinking mufflers. OP what spoiler is that btw?
2011 Camaro 2SS, 6.0 iron block forged bottom end, Dart heads, BTR intake, Huron twin turbo kit, Summit stage 3 twin turbo cam, Circle D stage 4 6L90, 3800 FTI converter. BMR suspension, Viking coil overs, Fore triple pump fuel system.
IKILLEDSUPERMAN_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 02:59 PM   #33
dtek

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKILLEDSUPERMAN_ZL1 View Post
We don't need no stinking mufflers. OP what spoiler is that btw?

That’s the oem zl1 1le I’m 80% sure, got it from a local selling app

• Overkill 80mm TB
• JacFab Extendolator
• JacFab LaminatorFX
Old 10-04-2019, 06:00 PM   #34
dtek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Straight piping any car (what you did) will make it raspy and sound like crap. If you want a deeper tone you should do 3 things; remove the stock resonator (which I see you already did), install a set of hi-flo cats, and look into a set of axle backs (most people call them mufflers).

Hey man! Thank you for this response! Is there a sound difference in Catless downpipes and high-flow Cats because I already have Catless downpipes? And I was thinking about two Flowmaster super 10’s

• Overkill 80mm TB
• JacFab Extendolator
• JacFab LaminatorFX
Old 10-04-2019, 07:50 PM   #35
Mr_Draco

Quote:
Hey man! Thank you for this response! Is there a sound difference in Catless downpipes and high-flow Cats because I already have Catless downpipes? And I was thinking about two Flowmaster super 10’s

Adding hi-flo cats will reduce the raspyness of your exhaust and help give it an actual tone.
Old 10-04-2019, 07:56 PM   #36
dtek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Adding hi-flo cats will reduce the raspyness of your exhaust and help give it an actual tone.

Okay will adding some amazon high flow cats to my current downpipes achieve this same effect or will I have to get an actual set of high flow cat pipes?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9JJPLR..._9N-LDb5V79SAC

• Overkill 80mm TB
• JacFab Extendolator
• JacFab LaminatorFX
Old 10-05-2019, 08:42 AM   #37
Mr_Draco

Quote:
Okay will adding some amazon high flow cats to my current downpipes achieve this same effect or will I have to get an actual set of high flow cat pipes?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9JJPLR..._9N-LDb5V79SAC

Just the cats like what you posted is all you need, though from the reviews, I would spend the little extra and get a quality name brand.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:53 AM   #38
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayblueSS View Post
If I had a v6 I would want it quiet at idle and loud when I get on it.
im actually quite happy with the stock exhaust.after many years of loud music,tank gunnery and 25 years of big block pontiac with headers i have constant tinninitus,gave up the gunnery and big block but still like some loud live rock and roll even though i know im gonna pay for it.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:35 AM   #39
lemontwist

Drives: 12 2SS/RS L99,11 2SS/RS LS3totaled
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
#1 your driving a V-6 NOT A V-8 WITH HEADERS...….
#2 see number 1
#3 good thing you have resonators or you most likely would have raspy ricer sound
#4 actually change to a v-8 you could have had one...LOL just have to keep your sense of humor in life, because you can only polish a turd so much etc etc Just enjoy what you have and don't expect miracles or your going to have to listen to every track of sound on U tube trying to match a sound when really just being happy with what you have is so important...…

And BTW non use of any cat is illegal everywhere, guys do it and risk it, shops can be fined 10 G for doing it per..... And it does help rasp removal..... so if your going to delete the cats and not go Solo high flows well you should remove rasp some with the resonators IMO...… you just can't have it all without putting the money out there, hacking a muffler off is not a mod that guys have done ditching the v-8s stock "trash cans" or the l99's stock "suitcase" resonator usually just is not all that....as the resonator actually helps them not rattle like crap when the afm kicks in....

Around here by Oregon's busiest road where I live I laugh as FART TRUMPETS are everywhere on any POS, and then there's: listening to RASP's And Vibrations Cars with Farts...….. IMO if your that worried about making sound you should be more worried about making POWER. He with the loudest Fart Trumpet does not win......
this is the best response...."Just enjoy what you have and don't expect miracles"
there is something about amarican v6's,they just almost never sound good to me. maybe because i was raised on v8 sound and there is no substitute for 8 GOD BLESSED AMERICAN CYLINDERS.i don't have any experience with what your doing so i don't have any thing to add. removing the resonators and changing the mufflers sounded like the best idea.
the 5th gen v6 is actually raster than a 1st gen ss396 but it just don't sound good doing it. so IMO enjoy it don't over mod it,stay away from trends they come and go,last but not least v8 guy's don't care about MPG's LOL.i think a turbo4 1LE is cool so i don't consider myself a v8 snob.
lemontwist is offline   Reply With Quote