Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-02-2019, 06:33 PM   #15
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Most likely you should have left it alone..LOL But I would have to say Solo high flows to remove rasp and some kind of removal of the stock resonator that's most likely the tin vibration and install of some axleback that includes mufflers....many do things like flow masters or borlas even on a v-6..check for others sounds and go from there...Good Luck!
Old 10-02-2019, 06:48 PM   #16
dtek

Drives: 2012 1lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
Most likely you should have left it alone..LOL But I would have to say Solo high flows to remove rasp and some kind of removal of the stock resonator that's most likely the tin vibration and install of some axleback that includes mufflers....many do things like flow masters or borlas even on a v-6..check for others sounds and go from there...Good Luck!

How big of a difference in sound is a high flow cat vs straight Catless pipes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
• Overkill 80mm TB
• JacFab Extendolator
• JacFab LaminatorFX
• OverKill 93 Octane Tune
dtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:32 PM   #17
StingrayblueSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtek View Post
I personally like the sound of that video, do you have any videos of a better sounding v6 I can listen to so I know what to hear for.

If I had a v6 I would want it quiet at idle and loud when I get on it.
StingrayblueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:24 PM   #18
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Quote:
Oh sweet! So where would the axle back be installed? After the stock resonators? Or after the Resonated x-pipe?

Axel back is installed from the axel back by cutting your existing exhaust at that point, which is after your stock cats and resonator. I have a V8 and did the axel back along with replacing my resonator with and X-pipe and both made a big difference in the sound. I did the axel back first and, although I was satisfied with the sound, I wasn't completely happy. It wasn't until several month later I replaced the resonator with the X-pipe and now I'm very happy with the set up.

Not sure if you would be as happy with the same set on the V6 due to the difference in sound produced. My suggestion would be to look up a local Camaro club and check out some of the setups other's have done in person before making any changes .. what sounds good to one may not sound good to another.

Old 10-02-2019, 09:56 PM   #19
15RS2NV
Ponies are for girls

Drives: 2015 RS LFX Red Hot A6
I'm glad someone (Christianchevell) noticed you had a V6. The LFX V6 is a very quiet running engine. Even with the NPP exhaust I still don't sound like a V8 but it's close.

And you'll always have those hatin' on V6s. Just remind them how often we have to fill up vs them.
H&R 1.8/1.7” drop, Overkill 80mm + intake ported by AFS, 1" insulator MACE, Accel Super Coils, THR cai, JET MAF sensor, Hurst shifter handle, GPP strut tower brace, CI ice cube tray hood vents (functional) @SemperFiCamaro
15RS2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:15 PM   #20
dtek

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15RS2NV View Post
I'm glad someone (Christianchevell) noticed you had a V6. The LFX V6 is a very quiet running engine. Even with the NPP exhaust I still don't sound like a V8 but it's close.

And you'll always have those hatin' on V6s. Just remind them how often we have to fill up vs them.

Lol! Love it! Thank you for the response!

• Overkill 80mm TB
• JacFab Extendolator
• JacFab LaminatorFX
Old 10-02-2019, 10:19 PM   #21
15RS2NV
Ponies are for girls

dtek, I wish i was at your elevation. Hitting the track at 3000' and temps 90-115* cuts out about 10% of the horsepower.
H&R 1.8/1.7” drop, Overkill 80mm + intake ported by AFS, 1" insulator MACE, Accel Super Coils, THR cai, JET MAF sensor, Hurst shifter handle, GPP strut tower brace, CI ice cube tray hood vents (functional) @SemperFiCamaro
Old 10-02-2019, 10:21 PM   #22
dtek

Quote:
dtek, I wish i was at your elevation. Hitting the track at 3000' and temps 90-115* cuts out about 10% of the horsepower.

What do you mean?

• Overkill 80mm TB
• JacFab Extendolator
• JacFab LaminatorFX
Old 10-02-2019, 10:27 PM   #23
15RS2NV
Ponies are for girls

My race track is at 3000 feet above sea level. That, in addition to the high heat we have here in the desert, steals horsepower away. The closer to sea level, the more horsepower you have. Also, cooler dry air is optimal. Here in August - September we have monsoons (really heavy rain storms) and it gets really humid. It's impossible to get any performance on days like that. A Dodge Neon will give you a run for your money, so those are just Test and Tune months.

You're probably at max 500 feet above sea level.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:28 PM   #24
dtek

Quote:
My race track is at 3000 feet above sea level. That, in addition to the high heat we have here in the desert, steals horsepower away. The closer to sea level, the more horsepower you have. Also, cooler dry air is optimal. Here in August - September we have monsoons (really heavy rain storms) and it gets really humid. It's impossible to get any performance on days like that. A Dodge Neon will give you a run for your money, so those are just Test and Tune months.

You're probably at max 500 feet above sea level.

Oh probably so, and plus it’s humid as could be here all year round. Might be great for the track but trust me...it’s miserable doing absolutely anything else

• Overkill 80mm TB
• JacFab Extendolator
• JacFab LaminatorFX
Old 10-03-2019, 06:04 AM   #25
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
I’m not trying to be sarcastic with this comment but, how do I use an aftermarket exhaust system but keep my own exhaust setup?

Well, not to be sarcastic back, but you don’t. I was suggesting checking out their systems because they are drone free and have great sound. Just give them a look, you don’t have to buy and looking is free.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:10 AM   #26
dtek

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
Well, not to be sarcastic back, but you don’t. I was suggesting checking out their systems because they are drone free and have great sound. Just give them a look, you don’t have to buy and looking is free.

Ohhh I see, I wasn’t trying to be negative with my comment. I just though when you said get an axle-back with my setup you meant id be keeping my exhaust setup I currently have and just adding the axle back to it not changing my current setup to the axle back...thank you tho! It’s 4am right now I’m tired

• Overkill 80mm TB
• JacFab Extendolator
• JacFab LaminatorFX
Old 10-04-2019, 08:57 AM   #27
wasthatacop?

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
Well here’s a clip I had before when I first installed my Catless downpipes and as you can see it’s deep toned, for a v6, like I want. I ended up changing the exhaust around because it was wayy too loud at high rpms with a screeching vibrating sound that I hated. Which is why I installed my stock resonators back on and Resonated x pipe. But now it’s too quiet and went more higher pitch which is weird.

Before with deep exhaust:
https://youtu.be/AwUnappzQwo

Now with not deep exhaust :(
https://youtu.be/_nHhSsqbqwk

Well... it still sounds cool, but the bass in the exhaust note has lost. That's weird. The first video (before changes) actually sounds similar to the V8 startup.
ZL1 factory rims
misc: drilled and slotted rotors, fresh air brake cooling system, new speakers, installed reverse camera, muffler delete
wasthatacop? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 10:02 AM   #28
dtek

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasthatacop? View Post
Well... it still sounds cool, but the bass in the exhaust note has lost. That's weird. The first video (before changes) actually sounds similar to the V8 startup.

I’m hoping removing my stock resonators will give me that bass back

• Overkill 80mm TB
• JacFab Extendolator
• JacFab LaminatorFX