The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-06-2015, 11:08 PM   #15
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolFan66 View Post
If the Tacoma is selling 2-1 over the Colorado, how can the Colorado be the fastest selling truck?

I thought the Ford truck ruled them all anyways...
Because Colorado is at 12 days to turn. Meaning your average Colorado only spends 12 days on a dealer lot before it's spoken for. I think Canyon is only slightly behind, followed by Tacoma at 21.

F-150 is at 25 days.
Old 06-06-2015, 11:12 PM   #16
ToolFan66

Drives: 2011 2SS 6.2L W/RS package
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Because Colorado is at 12 days to turn. Meaning your average Colorado only spends 12 days on a dealer lot before it's spoken for. I think Canyon is only slightly behind, followed by Tacoma at 21.

F-150 is at 25 days.
Ah, thanks!!

KooKs LT Headers, Borla S-Type cat back, RotoFab CAI, Bo White PTB, RMCR tune...
ToolFan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:57 PM   #17
Rockhead
Hoser.

Drives: 2018 Z06
Quote:
If the Tacoma is selling 2-1 over the Colorado, how can the Colorado be the fastest selling truck?

It's just fanboy spin.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:11 PM   #18
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post
It's just fanboy spin.
It's really not. Colorado is the fastest selling truck in the industry, as I've already explained.

There's a reason GM Wentzville has supposedly started cutting lunch breaks. The plant can't build enough trucks.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:31 PM   #19
CamAnon

Drives: 2015 1LT
"fastest selling" doesn't mean "once ONE hits the dealer, how fast does it get sold". Unless you're in the marking department of the vehicle selling half as many units.

It means "if you make XX,000 of them, how fast do you sell THEM ALL".

Fenwick, according to your stats, it takes 12 days to move a Colorado. And 21 days to move a Taco. But, with the 2:1 ratio of total sales.... the numbers show a different twist.

That would be like saying if some kid we to stir up a batch of lemonade, and sell it on his front yard in an hour, he would have the fastest-selling beverage in America, over Coke, because the Coke takes all day to sell.

That said, the Coloradofans forum is full of stories of people needing to wait to get their beloved trucks.
CamAnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:46 PM   #20
FenwickHockey65

No, that's literally what it means. Days to turn is a metric used all the time in the industry by every manufacturer. You're confusing "days to turn" with "total inventory." Total inventory is what measures how long it would take the supply of Colorados at dealers nationwide to completely sell out if GM stopped producing trucks right this second. The combination of days to turn and inventory is how manufacturers figure out whether or not to ramp up or slow down production.

There's a higher inventory of Tacomas in the US since the San Antonio plant is waaaaay underutilized. Therefore Toyota can produce more, which means there are more trucks for Toyota to sell. Whereas GM Wentzville has been pushed to the brink. Lower production = fewer trucks to sell, but like I said, every truck is spoken for in 12 or so days.

Ford runs into the same issue with almost every new launch product.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:54 PM   #21
FenwickHockey65

If you really want me to spin the numbers, I could say the 2:1 figure is BS since technically, GM sold 11,782 midsize trucks last month compared to Toyota's 17,520. But no automaker would do that, especially not Toyota (who reported Corolla + Matrix sales as one model, and suddenly decided all Scions were technically Toyotas after year end figures showed the Chevrolet brand outselling the Toyota brand).
Old 06-07-2015, 08:55 PM   #22
CAP'N B
Cajun Mariner

Drives: 10 Camaro SS/RS 15 Camaro Z/82 AGM
I was thinking of buying a Colorado but since a V8 is no longer offered NO SALE!

CAP'N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:07 PM   #23
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
No, that's literally what it means. Days to turn is a metric used all the time in the industry by every manufacturer. You're confusing "days to turn" with "total inventory." Total inventory is what measures how long it would take the supply of Colorados at dealers nationwide to completely sell out if GM stopped producing trucks right this second. The combination of days to turn and inventory is how manufacturers figure out whether or not to ramp up or slow down production.

There's a higher inventory of Tacomas in the US since the San Antonio plant is waaaaay underutilized. Therefore Toyota can produce more, which means there are more trucks for Toyota to sell. Whereas GM Wentzville has been pushed to the brink. Lower production = fewer trucks to sell, but like I said, every truck is spoken for in 12 or so days.

Ford runs into the same issue with almost every new launch product.
Your post makes complete sense. I know people who have been waiting and my dealer friend 's head is ready to explode over not being able to them.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:05 PM   #24
VTSummit
Consistently inconsistent

Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
I don't work in the sales side of the business, but I know the guys on that side are getting stressed out because they have not been able to put a single unit in for stock. They are sold before we receive them. I wanted one as a loaner for my side of the biz and they can't get me one any time soon. The V6 has serious balls though- more ballsy than a 5.3 Silverado IMO.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:01 AM   #25
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:

Colorado spends less time on dealer lots
Tacoma sells more volume in month ( more trucks availble more to sell)
F-Series sells most volume in full size truck

But Silverado sales are gaining ground on the F-series
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:03 AM   #26
CAP'N B
Cajun Mariner

Drives: 10 Camaro SS/RS 15 Camaro Z/82 AGM
I was thinking of buying a Colorado but since a V8 is no longer offered NO SALE!

CAP'N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:27 AM   #27
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Colorado spends less time on dealer lots
Tacoma sells more volume in month ( more trucks availble more to sell)
F-Series sells most volume in full size truck

But Silverado sales are gaining ground on the F-series
You forgot to add:
"GM outselling FoMoCo in full-size pickups YTD"
"ToMoCo to outpace FoMoCo in US 2015"

The second half of 2015 should be interesting as F-series production catches up with demand and GM introduces a host of much needed new vehicles including the 6th gen Camaro. Toyota stealing market share though and looks to move into second place if Ford doesn't pick things up.

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:21 AM   #28
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDISIN View Post
You forgot to add:
"GM outselling FoMoCo in full-size pickups YTD"
"ToMoCo to outpace FoMoCo in US 2015"

The second half of 2015 should be interesting as F-series production catches up with demand and GM introduces a host of much needed new vehicles including the 6th gen Camaro. Toyota stealing market share though and looks to move into second place if Ford doesn't pick things up.
Yes sir. GM is easily outselling FoMoCo in terms of total pick up sales. IIRC F-series only outsold Silverado by 10K I believe I read that Ford can't seem to get frames built fast enough to keep up with demand. They better get that figured out bc Silverado is right on their heals. FWIW last year at the end of may F-Series outsold silverado by 22K. Chevy has really closed the gap.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote