Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-23-2017, 03:33 PM   #15
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvkillar
speaking of catch cans, isn't that altering the emissions? I know they benefits and plan on doing, but that would be an easy revert if needed to take into dealer.
Catch can doesn't alter emissions.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 03:43 PM   #16
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
If there is a catch can on your vehicle = your warranty is voided per GM. Feel free to quote whatever law you want, GM doesn't care and have said as much.

If anyone believes otherwise, you can sue them and prove otherwise.

Now, you may or may not have a mod friendly dealership that will personally take on the warranty liability in complete defiance of corporate contract with the dealership, but you will be emptying your bank account to prove otherwise.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 04:52 PM   #17
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvKillar View Post
Thanks everyone! I may hold off on anymore bolt-ons for the time being. only got 1 year left, then I will either upgrade this thing to the hilt or trade for another!
I have less than a month on mine...
Old 05-23-2017, 05:03 PM   #18
anth331

Drives: 12SS
Every dealer that I've dealt with says, cat's back ok intake out ok. Anything done to the ECM voids your warranty.
anth331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:37 PM   #19
DvKillar

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by anth331 View Post
Every dealer that I've dealt with says, cat's back ok intake out ok. Anything done to the ECM voids your warranty.
pretty much consensus here.. thanks!
DvKillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 03:00 AM   #20
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
It gets a bit muddy though when you consider the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus...s_Warranty_Act) which, among other things, has these two points:
  • A manufacturer cannot require you use a specific part in their vehicles unless they provide that part free of charge
  • If a manufacturer denies a warranty claim because a non OEM part was installed on the vehicle, the burden of proof is on the manufacturer to prove that the non-OEM part CAUSED the failure in question.
That last bit is often quoted, but rarely used, as most people don't have the discretionary income to take the manufacturer to small claims court and fight.
Well, that isn't exactly the way Magnuson Moss was written. The idea of having to prove the modification caused the failure is not exactly what that means. That part of the law pertains to replacement parts, filters, belts, hoses, that kind of stuff. Like using a Fram filter instead of AC/Delco filter.

If you put headers on the car and tune out the O2's, then the oil pump fails, your dealer may be able to sneak it under the radar, but if GM asks questions, they can kill the powertrain warranty right there.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:29 AM   #21
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Short answer: Any non- factory or non-OEM modification or installation that changes the composition and/or function of the car or component of a car. More than likely, just a portion of the warranty could be voided depending on whether the issue was caused by the non OEM installation.

I know GM's position with warranties all too well.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote