Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-26-2012, 10:58 PM   #1
Thunderhead

Drives: 2011 1LT RS Camaro, Cyber Gray, M6
Paranoid Clutch Life Saver

My apartment just installed proximity card controlled gates for the entrances to their parking garage. Initially, it was a very welcome addition in my opinion. However, after their installation it became obvious they would impact my paranoid style of saving clutch life.

Name:  IMAG0057-001.jpg
Views: 1727
Size:  107.6 KB

The configuration of the gate and card reader, the steepness of the incline, and the time it takes for the gate to open requires an uphill start from 0 mph every time I enter the garage. I'm not one of those people who use the clutch to hold an uphill position, but I'm still paranoid about the incline wearing down the clutch. I'm just curious what the other manual Camaro owner's think. Super paranoid, or do I have reason to consider moving my car to someplace with a flatter entrance?
Thunderhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:15 PM   #2
bcguy
bcguy

Drives: 2011 ss/rs m6
I think you need to worry about more pressing matters in life,no disrespect or anything but your clutch should last a long time and if it fails you can replace it with one that won't fail under the harshest punishment . I was racing this weekend and a stock ss was there and his pedal did the stick to the floor thing after two passes.I guess if you could you could insert your access card so the gate lifts and then just quickly roll back until level then go up
Agp 62/66 ,lsx 427. , Callie's ,diamond ,all pro ,American racing ,I'ds130s,102 intake and throttle body,etc .fore triple , Turbo 400 level 5 , b and m pro , dss carbon fiber , dss ford 9 inch with strange pumpkin,3.73 ratio,1400 hp axels,boost and air fuel pillar guages. Weld rts 17x10 and 17x4.5 with m and h drag radials and skinnys
bcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:41 PM   #3
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
It should be just fine - a bit inconvenient, but in the long run no big deal. The security aspect of it is worth it. I have to stop and park on an incline, walk over and unlock my secure shop building door, then get back in and go up the incline to drive in. Been doing it for 2 years now and my clutch is just dandy.

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:54 PM   #4
brandonrr
LFX is not the average V6

Drives: 2011 Mustang GT 5.0
or, you could just use your parking brake as a hill assist brake. you just have to make sure you fully engage it, because 1 tick on it can mean the difference between rolling and staying put.

when i was new to driving stickshift, i used that method any time i was on a hill and the person behind me was waay too close. it happened and still happens a lot. i think people don't realize some cars CAN roll backwards a little on a hill. of course, these are either rude people or they have never driven a manual.

now i only reserve that move for serious tailgaters on hills and for 1 particular incline i come across every now and then. it's about as steep as the one in the picture, maybe a little steeper. i am a little paranoid about burning up the clutch too. then again, i was driving a car that already had a slightly warped clutch disk after only a year.
POS 2011 Mazda 3 - traded in for camaro
2001 Ford F-150 - traded in for mazda
brandonrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:05 AM   #5
Heaven_is_inferno_orange
Savage Setsuna

Drives: 16' 2SS, 12 ZL1, RIP Sasuke
Send a message via MSN to Heaven_is_inferno_orange Send a message via Yahoo to Heaven_is_inferno_orange
Lol its okay. Dont be so paranoid. I rarely ever use my brakes at a stop or incline. 11 years with the Z28, 5 years with the TA, and 1 year with the SS and all 3 stock clutches are still fine. Besides think of it as an excuse to upgrade? lol
Heaven_is_inferno_orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:08 AM   #6
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
Clutches aren't forever. You're going to have to replace it one day anyway...by nature it's a "wearable" part.

Just get really good at hill starts so you can minimize the wear, and don't worry about it
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:20 AM   #7
Mutant Racer

Drives: 2015 2LT Torch Red C7 Stingray
Way too paranoid. You should be able to sit on an incline without using your brakes.

You feather the clutch to keep you still. Some people call it slipping the clutch. On older vehicles it can cause too much friction but those days are long gone.

Practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaven_is_inferno_orange View Post
Lol its okay. Dont be so paranoid. I rarely ever use my brakes at a stop or incline. 11 years with the Z28, 5 years with the TA, and 1 year with the SS and all 3 stock clutches are still fine. Besides think of it as an excuse to upgrade? lol
Yup you got it!
Mutant Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:00 AM   #8
DRMKAR

Drives: 2012 2LT 45TH Anniv. RS Package.
Dude I abused my dads mustang GT and sat on that clutch forever.
My garage was on a even steeper highway so basically the car would stall out in 2nd gear. That was fun.
DRMKAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #9
brandonrr
LFX is not the average V6

Drives: 2011 Mustang GT 5.0
i agree about the clutch being more durable than many people tend to think it is.

a word of caution:

if you drive a manual 2010+ mazda 3, GO EASY ON THE CLUTCH! it took only 12k miles to slightly warp the clutch disk on mine before i traded it in. i didn't abuse it at all. i'm sure this warning falls on deaf ears...i don't think a single person in this forum has a 2010+ mazda 3 with a manual transmission.

considering everything is much better built on our camaros, this shouldn't be an issue for our cars.
POS 2011 Mazda 3 - traded in for camaro
2001 Ford F-150 - traded in for mazda
brandonrr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch, garage, hill, incline, life