The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 03-23-2024, 01:29 PM   #29
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiDave View Post
I just want to thank the Camaro 6 community for literally being YEARS ahead of this "breaking news" of OnStar spying on us and sharing the data with insurance companies to raise our rates.
There’s a lot of smart people with common sense on this site. I have learned a lot too.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 06:56 AM   #30
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
This will be one to keep an eye on. I'd be curious *what* was shared with the analytics firms and how GM is able to spin this in the lawsuit.

I'm not sure that a VIN is PII by itself, or that Onstar even violated its own data sharing terms - that's for the lawyers to figure out. If this is Insurance companies supposedly buying depersonalized data from an analytics firm, but being able to make the connection on their end (having VIN, driving event information, and the primary driver's demographic information) then, is GM liable for what insurance companies do with that data?

Put some Jiffy Pop in the microwave. This is going to be interesting...
I would think GM is not specifically liable for what insurance companies do with the data. That's akin to holding banks responsible for what you do with your money. Or gun companies responsible for making a gun used in a crime.

What GM MAY be responsible for is collecting and sharing data it has no right to share because it could, as apparently in this case, cause financial loss to someone's wallet due to shared information that was not agreed upon by the plaintiff to share in the first place.

It seems they signed him up for data collection/sharing when he already apparently declined it. Regardless if it was free or not. Then, unbeknownst to him, he gets penalized by insurance companies based on this data. That seems to be the crux of the situation as I read it.

Same sorta thing happened when we bought the wife's Cadillac. They hit the OnStar buttton and started the sign up process right there in the parking lot. Before, I'd do it at my convenience. I kinda didn't appreciate that.

I've been bouncing around the idea of canning OnStar anyway. I keep it on the Cadillac for the wife since it's "her" car anyway. I think this pretty much makes up my mind. If it's not there, they can't bother us about it or collect my data. I just got to figure out where that OnStar module is on the car and whether or not I can unplug it safely. They already "unplugged" 5th gen owners whether we liked it or not when going to 4G/5G, so fugg 'em. Got an iPhone that knows where I am and can call 911 for me in a bad crash. So what's OnStar got that iPhone doesn't? It'll be just one less thing probing into my personal business.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 01:52 PM   #31
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess A View Post
I would think GM is not specifically liable for what insurance companies do with the data. That's akin to holding banks responsible for what you do with your money. Or gun companies responsible for making a gun used in a crime.

What GM MAY be responsible for is collecting and sharing data it has no right to share because it could, as apparently in this case, cause financial loss to someone's wallet due to shared information that was not agreed upon by the plaintiff to share in the first place.

It seems they signed him up for data collection/sharing when he already apparently declined it. Regardless if it was free or not. Then, unbeknownst to him, he gets penalized by insurance companies based on this data. That seems to be the crux of the situation as I read it.

Same sorta thing happened when we bought the wife's Cadillac. They hit the OnStar buttton and started the sign up process right there in the parking lot. Before, I'd do it at my convenience. I kinda didn't appreciate that.

I've been bouncing around the idea of canning OnStar anyway. I keep it on the Cadillac for the wife since it's "her" car anyway. I think this pretty much makes up my mind. If it's not there, they can't bother us about it or collect my data. I just got to figure out where that OnStar module is on the car and whether or not I can unplug it safely. They already "unplugged" 5th gen owners whether we liked it or not when going to 4G/5G, so fugg 'em. Got an iPhone that knows where I am and can call 911 for me in a bad crash. So what's OnStar got that iPhone doesn't? It'll be just one less thing probing into my personal business.
To my knowledge, they don't report actual raw data, or at least not ONLY raw data. They pass along THEIR interpretation of what's good and bad. You can drive your Camaro pretty tamely to the store, and it will report a lot of hard acceleration and hard braking events which aren't really worth noting in the first place.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 04:10 PM   #32
Rogueleader_92

Drives: Chevy camaro, Chevy cruze
GM to stop selling our data

At least untill they can find another loophole or do it quietly.
https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2024...4Qv9aHJstwBHA4

Blue 2023 Camaro, 3LT, RS.
Rogueleader_92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 04:21 PM   #33
CHASLT1

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
So they say.
CHASLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 07:24 AM   #34
ardyzl1
Professional Paranoiac

Drives: Camaro ZL1
The one thing they wont do is stop collecting the data. There are other players in the game too, like onstar, OEMs, LEOs and the telcos. With so much data and so many customers, my guess is somebody somewhere will figure out a way to monitize that data. I don't expect a press release to announce it.
Old 03-25-2024, 10:01 AM   #35
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
I used the GM AUthority article to make sure that the App was opted out of OnStar data sharing or whatever they called it, good step-by-step how to and mine was already OFF I just used it to make sure and that I didn't miss something.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 12:07 PM   #36
JimGnitecki

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro LT1
GM just stopped sales of OnStar data to 3rd parties?

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2024/03...-data-lawsuit/
JimGnitecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 12:40 PM   #37
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
That seems like good news, if accurate.

Now - if we could get them to make it more difficult for our cars to get stolen so easily...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 01:17 PM   #38
LT1Zob

Drives: 23 LT1 / 19 Z06 / after 6 5th gens
Called onstar yesterday. Told them to cancel my free trial I got when I picked up my 23 lt1 a few weeks ago. When asked why I was so adamant to cancel instead of letting it run out, I told them. Guy told me they've had many similar calls recently. This for now, pull out the box shortly. A bit swamped at work for now to start that project
Old 03-26-2024, 03:51 PM   #39
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1Zob View Post
Called onstar yesterday. Told them to cancel my free trial I got when I picked up my 23 lt1 a few weeks ago. When asked why I was so adamant to cancel instead of letting it run out, I told them. Guy told me they've had many similar calls recently. This for now, pull out the box shortly. A bit swamped at work for now to start that project
If enough people call to cancel all things OnStar (and the telematics for all other manufacturers) and more people start pulling the transceiver board out of their cars, perhaps these companies will realize they should just make the entire system - all hardware and software - optional on all cars.

If you don’t want OnStar, your car is not built with any component of it at all. And it can never be upgraded to have the capability.

No “OnStar On Board” window sticker
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 06:03 PM   #40
Fstlane

Drives: 2019 Summit White ZL1
So if you did not know even if you turn off OnStar they still collect data. You have to ask them to total turn off any connectivity. I have a 2019 and Free OnStar expired long ago. They however would still send notifications about oil changes and other conditions, which means they are collecting data from the car.
SO you have to ask them to TOTALLY disconnect the car for any remote data.....mine was set to end in 2029.
I am Now disconnected
Fstlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 08:07 PM   #41
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstlane View Post
So if you did not know even if you turn off OnStar they still collect data. You have to ask them to total turn off any connectivity. I have a 2019 and Free OnStar expired long ago. They however would still send notifications about oil changes and other conditions, which means they are collecting data from the car.
SO you have to ask them to TOTALLY disconnect the car for any remote data.....mine was set to end in 2029.
I am Now disconnected
If you did not pull the hardware, you’re never totally disconnected…
Old 03-26-2024, 08:11 PM   #42
LT1Zob

Drives: 23 LT1 / 19 Z06 / after 6 5th gens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
If you did not pull the hardware, you’re never totally disconnected…
THIS! Beat me to it.

They'll stop emailing you so you'll feel warm and fuzzy, but the tracker is always there. They can, and likely will continue to snoop and sell the data