Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 01-25-2018, 01:45 PM   #1
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
7 year Dex-cool coolant with only 40,000 miles?

My car is about 7 years old with 40,000 miles. I just became aware that I should change coolant at 5yrs or 100,000 mi. I'm about to do a flush and fill but would like to know if I've waiting to long and could have cause some damage. The coolant does not look bad and there are no leaks. The coolant seems clear with no gumming. Thanks in advance for any helpful information.

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 02:13 PM   #2
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
It's gonna stink like hell. lol

You'll be fine - just put in new stuff and make sure to use distilled water or get premixed coolant.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 03:00 PM   #3
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbs View Post

You'll be fine - just put in new stuff and make sure to use distilled water or get premixed coolant.
Thanks for the quick response. I try to maintain my car to the best of my ability but this one kind of slipped by me. Thanks again

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 03:13 PM   #4
Bow Tie Affair

Drives: 6th. Gen ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus1dab View Post
Thanks for the quick response. I try to maintain my car to the best of my ability but this one kind of slipped by me. Thanks again
Make sure you use water distilled by steam distillation. You can buy this in most grocery stores.
Bow Tie Affair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 03:30 PM   #5
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
I prefer to just do my coolant every 3 years on all of my frequently driven cars. It's an easy drain and fill the radiator that way.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 04:50 PM   #6
polizzio

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
I prefer to just do my coolant every 3 years on all of my frequently driven cars. It's an easy drain and fill the radiator that way.
Owners fail to realize when you just drain the radiator and refill with new coolant, you only actually drain maybe 40-50% of the old coolant solution. This is clearly an inferior way to flush the entire system. The engine block, heads, hoses, and heater core hold the balance.

To the OP, you're not alone it seems. Several peeps have recently surfaced here who have failed to read the service requirements properly. And I'm sure there are many more in the shadows.
polizzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:05 PM   #7
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
I did mine last year, drain and fill. I believe it was the first and only time it has been done, as I am the second owner. Car had roughly 25k at the time and is a 2010. Coolant came out still orange, no discoloration, and smelled like dexcool. Refilled with dexcool 50/50, burped, topped off and was good to go.
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:34 AM   #8
go_go_gadget88

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS ABM 6M
I just drained mine a couple weeks ago when I started pulling stuff for the cam swap. Guessing it was original to the car (built Nov, 2009) as it was all stock.

Coolant looked/smelled pretty good still, but I've just disposed of it and will be replacing with all new. There is probably a little still in the block but can't be much at this point
2010 ABM 2SS/RS LS3 6 Speed -- Rotofab CAI | Speed Engineering 1 7/8" Longtubes w/ cat Delete | Magnaflow competition catback | TSP 231/246 cam| TSP/PAC .660" Spring Kit | TSP CNC Ported Heads | Bo White PTB | GPI Ported/RM Intake | 3.91's | BC Catch Can | MGW Shifter | BMR 1" Drop Springs | BMR Trailing arms/Toe Rods/Rear UCA Bushings | Pegasus Subframe Mounts
go_go_gadget88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:49 AM   #9
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbs View Post

This^. Like most preventive maintenance, it's cheap insurance. You shouldn't worry about 7-5 years, but I wouldn't make a habit out of it.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 09:09 AM   #10
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
On the opposing side........I have never flushed a radiator or transmission. Always a drain & fill. Never had a single issue. But that's just me. As a matter o fact, 2010 SS, 27k...will be draining radiator and replacing the battery....for the first time. Oh yeah, and just to make you anal's double clench.....I use tap water!
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:16 PM   #11
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by polizzio View Post
Owners fail to realize when you just drain the radiator and refill with new coolant, you only actually drain maybe 40-50% of the old coolant solution. This is clearly an inferior way to flush the entire system. The engine block, heads, hoses, and heater core hold the balance.

To the OP, you're not alone it seems. Several peeps have recently surfaced here who have failed to read the service requirements properly. And I'm sure there are many more in the shadows.
Oh I'm aware, which is why I feel comfortable doing it more frequently. And I do drain, fill, run, drain, fill. Just nice to be able to do it in my garage and not pay for the service.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 05:16 PM   #12
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
On the opposing side........I have never flushed a radiator or transmission. Always a drain & fill. Never had a single issue. But that's just me. As a matter o fact, 2010 SS, 27k...will be draining radiator and replacing the battery....for the first time. Oh yeah, and just to make you anal's double clench.....I use tap water!
Well, it's your car............Some people smoke all their lives and don't get cancer. That's not to say it's good for you, or doesn't lead to health issues. Since you usually call it like you see it, I'm assuming you're just pointing out that you don't perform routine maintenance, and nothing bad has happened to your car, as opposed to saying, "don't do scheduled maintenance, it's a waste of time and money..."
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:52 PM   #13
havelegs

Drives: '23 LT1 A10
Dealer suggested I have them do a coolant service on mine...

31k miles on a 2015 SS. When I told them GM says to service it at 150k, he said "not in this climate and stop and go traffic". What the F is wrong with these scum bag dealerships.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:19 PM   #14
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by havelegs View Post
Dealer suggested I have them do a coolant service on mine...

31k miles on a 2015 SS. When I told them GM says to service it at 150k, he said "not in this climate and stop and go traffic". What the F is wrong with these scum bag dealerships.
Trying to eek out whatever profit they can. Wife and I went in last weekend to a local dealer so she could look at a car she wanted to buy. I tagged along for support, but wasn't gonna get involved unless asked. The f#@king nickel dime stuff they try to get away with adding on is insane. $500 window tint? $800 for paint sealant? $200 for "mandatory" VIN registration with MVD (salesman tried to tell me it was "the law").....I know these guys are just trying to make a living, but WTF......we ended up walking out a short time later, even after making them a fair offer on the car. Just another reason why I will not buy a new car unless I have money I just want to throw away....

Sorry for the rant, OP....
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z