The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 05-29-2019, 09:49 PM   #15
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
I like it. Is this a 5 passenger vehicle?
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:00 AM   #16
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
Are they actively trying to confuse the consumer? First all the silliness of the Cadillac names and now we have the Blazer AND Trailblazer being sold at the same time? It will be evident which is which if they are side by side, but I can already feel the confusion when customers bring their "Blazer" into me for service.
How is that different from offering Cherokee and Grand Cherokee at the same time? Or Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer? Or Grand Cherokee and Grand Wagoneer?

(FWIW....post #2000. yay me)
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:14 AM   #17
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
This is to be produced in Korea while GM shudders plants in the US. Mind-boggling, simply mind-boggling...

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:23 AM   #18
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
How is that different from offering Cherokee and Grand Cherokee at the same time? Or Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer? Or Grand Cherokee and Grand Wagoneer?

It's not. Just because it's done, it doesn't make it any better.

Last edited by JerTM; 05-30-2019 at 07:51 AM.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:44 AM   #19
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post

At least that lineup is setup logically. Cherokee-> Grand Cherokee, etc. Where here Trailblazer-> Blazer when it should be Blazer->Trailblazer. I don't think Trailblazer is smaller than Blazer logically.

But given the fact this is called Trailblazer, could the Wrangler/Bronco fighter be GMC only? If there was to be a Chevy version as well, what other nameplate is there for it? The logical ones are now crossovers.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:44 AM   #20
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
This is to be produced in Korea while GM shudders plants in the US. Mind-boggling, simply mind-boggling...
I read a while back hourly workers for GM in Mexico are paid $1.90/hr compared to the UAW contract of $17-$30 or so. I'm guessing producing basically anywhere else is cheaper. It's unfortunate.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:06 AM   #21
DRKS1D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
I read a while back hourly workers for GM in Mexico are paid $1.90/hr compared to the UAW contract of $17-$30 or so. I'm guessing producing basically anywhere else is cheaper. It's unfortunate.
Yes, I read the same article. It costs a lot more to pay an American worker.

My wife and I frequently travel to the Caribbean and the last time we were in Montego Bay, some sidewalk repairs were being done at the resort. A handful of guys were doing backbreaking labor in the ~90 heat (100% humidity) for 10-12 hours per day. I asked one of the locals how much the construction guys made. He told me, ~$5 per day.

And some people think they have it bad in the US. Those buffoons have never truly witnessed poor.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
Old 05-30-2019, 08:23 AM   #22
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Well if its based as a mode of transportation then I guess its ok. Gone are the days of gutsy, full framed SUVs and full sized vehicles. I guess this might be ok if I run out of things to buy.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:36 AM   #23
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
If GM had infinite development money, they could do all of everything they want. But they don't, so they have to pick and choose based on what they think will yield the greatest return on that investment. These days, thats most likely going to be a crossover instead of a sedan or an SUV.

Bronco isn't on sale yet. And yes, lots of people are fawning over the idea of it. How many are going to back that up & actually buy one? Lots of people wanted to see the Ranger come back too. But sales so far have been pretty mediocre.

4Runner does well, but not spectacularly. Rav4 outsells it around 3 to one, Highlander not quite 2:1.

Jeep only makes 1 BOF SUV, the Wrangler. And it does very well. But most of what they sell is FWD crossovers. Compass, Renegade, Cherokee ... all crossovers. The Grand Cherokee is unibody, but RWD. So its neither a crossover nor a body on frame SUV.
True we don't know how well the Bronco will sell but I think GM has the ability to build an SUV of off the Colorado platform.

Also can we really make any judgement on Ranger sales? At least by me they didn't start to arrive in dealer lots until end of January mid February. Friend of my dads ordered one in January and get his truck till middle of April
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 09:22 AM   #24
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
Yes, I read the same article. It costs a lot more to pay an American worker.
Yes, due to standard of living, unions, federal policy/regulations, corporate tax rate (although much lower as of 2018), trade agreements, etc.

I want to see high American made content also assembled in the US (the Corvette is #1 in this regard). But I get why it's declining and GM isn't the only company doing this to survive.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:01 AM   #25
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
If GM had infinite development money, they could do all of everything they want. But they don't, so they have to pick and choose based on what they think will yield the greatest return on that investment. These days, thats most likely going to be a crossover instead of a sedan or an SUV.

Bronco isn't on sale yet. And yes, lots of people are fawning over the idea of it. How many are going to back that up & actually buy one? Lots of people wanted to see the Ranger come back too. But sales so far have been pretty mediocre.

4Runner does well, but not spectacularly. Rav4 outsells it around 3 to one, Highlander not quite 2:1.

Jeep only makes 1 BOF SUV, the Wrangler. And it does very well. But most of what they sell is FWD crossovers. Compass, Renegade, Cherokee ... all crossovers. The Grand Cherokee is unibody, but RWD. So its neither a crossover nor a body on frame SUV.
This is Chevy’s 5th crossover. I’m not saying to not have any crossovers. I’m asking if it’s necessary to have yet another generic crossover. The initial reactions I’ve seen range from I thought the Blazer was already out to this isn’t the Trailblazer and wow it’s ugly.

Sure, the Bronco might not sell. It could be a total flop but Ford must think there is a market for it. As for the Ranger, the reviews I’ve read are hit or miss.

And isn’t there already a body on frame Trailblazer being sold? Why can’t they just bring it over, like they did the Colorado?
Old 05-30-2019, 10:47 AM   #26
DRKS1D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
Yes, due to standard of living, unions, federal policy/regulations, corporate tax rate (although much lower as of 2018), trade agreements, etc.

I want to see high American made content also assembled in the US (the Corvette is #1 in this regard). But I get why it's declining and GM isn't the only company doing this to survive.
Very true. Why pay someone $30/hr. to attach a car hood, when I can pay someone $2/hr. to do the same thing? From a business standpoint, it is very logical, but it puts the American worker in a bad way. Something has to give.

Old 05-30-2019, 10:51 AM   #27
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
i don't think it will be blazing many trails.
personally i wish they came up with a new name.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:12 AM   #28
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
So first off...the naming thing. I wasn't someone who had a real issue with the new Blazer being called Blazer. In my mind, it was OK, seeing as how the last Blazer was essentially the same thing with the same purpose.

I do however, have a bit of an issue with this being called the TrailBlazer. Yeah I'll get over it lol. But my issue is that the last Trail Blazer was actually a mid-size SUV...as large or larger than the last gen Blazer. Now suddenly the Trail Blazer is a compact small SUV. OK then.

Next, I think it looks fine, and the interior looks good. But its pretty obvious to me that Chevy is going to milk the crap out of the look of the Blazer. They know they have a good looking vehicle (sorry to anyone that disagrees, but the Blazer gets mostly positive remarks for its looks. Even my wife thinks it looks fantastic). Now the Trail Blazer is here, and its a cheaper looking version of the Blazer. You KNOW that the MCE for the equinox is also going to get this look (OK my opinion) but pretty soon we are going to be seeing this look everywhere, which is going to really water down this look after another year or two. The Blazer is going to be cool and sorta unique to have....for now. I understand brand recognition and all of that, but I don't have to like it.

Finally, speaking of the wages and made in America thing. There is no good answer. People generally want to make good money, but pay the cheapest price for their stuff. Unless Americans as a whole decide we want to really support American workers and pay more to do it (never gonna happen) this issue is not going to change.