The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-07-2019, 05:31 AM   #15
Turbo_J89

Drives: 2015 BVM Camaro 1LE (2SS/RS)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbriel View Post
Had a guy t-bone my Acura TLX and cause $11,000+ worth of damage to it. I didn't want the car back after the accident but they didn't total it and it still isn't right, it has a very noticeable vibration coming from where it was hit when you go over a rough road. I have taken it back to the body shop 3 times now and they can't fix/find it and I am getting tired of dealing with and I know they are tired of seeing me bring it there.
What was the book value at the time? My car is worth about $12k-$13k so the magic number to start talking total loss is $9k.
Turbo_J89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:06 AM   #16
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_J89 View Post
What was the book value at the time? My car is worth about $12k-$13k so the magic number to start talking total loss is $9k.
Somewhere in the low $20,000s so it was only around half of the value, you might be lucky and get a total if they can get to $9,000.
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:45 AM   #17
Turbo_J89

Quote:
Somewhere in the low $20,000s so it was only around half of the value, you might be lucky and get a total if they can get to $9,000.
A few years ago in Houston, I had a car worth mid $20's totaled in a flash flood. All i needed to tell the insurance adjuster who called was it was floating and people were driving boats down the street. A few days later i was holding a check. It's not quite so easy to total a $20k car with collision damage. I hope you got a settlement for diminished value.

Last edited by Turbo_J89; 07-22-2019 at 09:02 PM.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:55 AM   #18
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
A few years ago in Houston, I had a car worth mid $20's totaled in a flash flood. All i needed to tell the insurance adjuster who called was it was floating and people were driving boats down the street. A few days later i was holding a check. It's not quite so easy to total a $20k car with collision damage. I hope you got a settlement for diminished value.
I didn't, I looked into it but it seemed like it was really hard to get it approved and if you did it would have only been a few hundred dollars after using a complicated formula to figure out the difference.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:48 AM   #19
Turbo_J89

Quote:
I didn't, I looked into it but it seemed like it was really hard to get it approved and if you did it would have only been a few hundred dollars after using a complicated formula to figure out the difference.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Diminished Value can be tough to recoup. Insurance companies prefer the 17c formula but an independent appraiser can get you fair reimbursement.

Last edited by Turbo_J89; 07-23-2019 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:18 AM   #20
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Quote:
Had a guy t-bone my Acura TLX and cause $11,000+ worth of damage to it. I didn't want the car back after the accident but they didn't total it and it still isn't right, it has a very noticeable vibration coming from where it was hit when you go over a rough road. I have taken it back to the body shop 3 times now and they can't fix/find it and I am getting tired of dealing with and I know they are tired of seeing me bring it there.
I know the feeling. My previous Malibu was in a rear end collision, and although the body shop did a fair job in repairing it, I noticed one or two irregularities in the body work. At that point I was sick of the car and I wanted it out. I could've wrestled with the shop a few times, but I already had been through previous damage and claims with that car and I got to the point where I was fed up with it. A couple of months later I traded that bad luck car for a younger Malibu that I was eyeing for awhile.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 12:01 PM   #21
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Drives: 2011, 2SS/RS, Synergy
Eh....

I DD my HC provided no rain. Otherwise what's the point in owning it?

It would be like saying you don't go to the gym daily because you are scared of getting an injury.

2011 Camaro SS/RS Synergy-1 of 255-Sold
You will be missed but you are in good hands!

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Mydivorcegift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 01:06 PM   #22
Turbo_J89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydivorcegift View Post
Eh....

I DD my HC provided no rain. Otherwise what's the point in owning it?

It would be like saying you don't go to the gym daily because you are scared of getting an injury.
Driving in Washington D.C. to/from work is a lot of stop and go. I actually find my automatic G37 more enjoyable. Camaro on the weekend. Of course, cars are made to be driven but sometimes it's not worth driving it. For example, the 4 months they salt the roads here. My logic for using my Camaro how I choose to paid dividends. My G37's the one at the body shop.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:30 AM   #23
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Drives: 2011, 2SS/RS, Synergy
Quote:
Driving in Washington D.C. to/from work is a lot of stop and go. I actually find my automatic G37 more enjoyable. Camaro on the weekend. Of course, cars are made to be driven but sometimes it's not worth driving it. For example, the 4 months they salt the roads here. My logic for using my Camaro how I choose to paid dividends. My G37's the one at the body shop.
I totally understand that point as I use to live in Atlanta. I was a 100% 3 pedal guy before that. After about 5 years in it I bought my first automatic.

And understand too about the salt on the roads. Same thing here and it won't be out then either.

Guess I should have been more clear with my post

Point of my post was you can't (I mean you can of course) not drive a car because you are scared you are going to wreck it. Reading the title of your thread, then the first post, is what leads me to this thought.

2011 Camaro SS/RS Synergy-1 of 255-Sold
You will be missed but you are in good hands!

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Mydivorcegift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:29 PM   #24
Turbo_J89

The car ended up being repaired for $7250. I sold it before it left the body shop.

Last edited by Turbo_J89; 07-22-2019 at 08:58 PM.