Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-11-2018, 09:57 PM   #43
Brettmess24

Drives: 17 C7 GS WGG
There’s so much miss information on this thread about the C7 Grand Sport and the C7 in general.

I have been looking and driving the ZL1 & ZL1LE because I need a rear seat again.....had another kiddo and not able to use the GS as often as I would like. I prefer the C7 GS and having a really hard time parting with it at this point, especially with all the additions that I will need to complete on the Camaro, I ordered my GS exactly how I wanted. Added Headers, tune, carbon fiber, Wheels etc...

Ruled the GT350 out.....thought it would be kinda cool to have a Raptor and Shelby but that passed quickly after all the reported engine failures, paint and body gaps. I don’t mind the interior. The ZL1 is a better car then the Shelby and they all are better then the 15 1LE I owned before the GS.

I like corners, good to have options!

Last edited by Brettmess24; 09-11-2018 at 10:11 PM.
Brettmess24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:09 PM   #44
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettmess24 View Post
There’s so much miss information on this thread about the C7 Grand Sport and the C7 in general.

I have been looking and driving the ZL1 & ZL1LE because I need a rear seat again.....had another kiddo and not able to use the GS as often as I would like. I prefer the C7 GS and having a really hard time parting with it at this point, especially with all the additions that I will need to complete on the Camaro, I ordered my GS exactly how I wanted. Added Headers, tune, carbon fiber, Wheels etc...

Ruled the GT350 out.....thought it would be kinda cool to have a Raptor and Shelby but that passed quickly after all the reported engine failures, paint and body gaps. I don’t mind the interior. The ZL1 is a better car then the Shelby.

I like corners, good to have options!
What misinformation specifically?
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:18 PM   #45
Brettmess24

Drives: 17 C7 GS WGG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
What misinformation specifically?
The wide body GS doesn’t have enough HP, the ZL1 handles better, the ZO6 M7 overheat, twitchy at the limit...etc

Do you drive your ZL1 in winter?
Brettmess24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:26 PM   #46
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettmess24 View Post
The wide body GS doesn’t have enough HP, the ZL1 handles better, the ZO6 M7 overheat, twitchy at the limit...etc
I agree completely.

People jumped on what the Motor Trend comedians/journalists said and ran with it. Blew it all out of proportion.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:58 PM   #47
mdmoore23

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I had a C7 Z51 back in 2014. No way I would go back to that from what the ZL1 offers.
mdmoore23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:42 PM   #48
msawyer110

Drives: 2017 ZL1
When i was buying my ZL1, they tried very hard to get me to get a grand sport if that says anything.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:03 AM   #49
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by USP45 View Post
My father has a 17 GS with the a8 and I have a 17 ZL1 with the a10. Just different cars... The Vette does have better overall handling, but when pushed it is definitely more sketchy at the limits than my ZL1. While the limits are higher, you just do not get that warm embrace when approaching the limits that you do with the ZL1. I have pushed too hard in my ZL1 and it just tapped me on the shoulder and said "slow down there speedracer, I've got your back, but you need to simma don na" whereas the GS says "once you cross that line I'm going to b***h slap your a**". And there is no comparison in a straight line hense why my father went to Advanced Modern Performance on Friday to inquire about adding a supercharger.. lol
Nice comparation. What about style looks side to side? Could you please post pictures of them together
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:16 AM   #50
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1st View Post
I owned a 2016 Z06 and now have a 2017 ZL1. I have driven both cars to the 85% mark and the Z06 wins hands down (much better driver feedback and precision control). I will say that I found the ZL1 cornered comparable to the Z06 at sharp corners at lower speeds (50 mph), but the Z06 takes it easy above that. So Z06 wins it for me for the backroad performance, but if you take 200hp away from it (like in the Grandsport), the ZL1 takes it without a doubt. Plus in my opinion the ZL1 interior is better. Get the ZL1 over a grandsport, but if you are considering a Z06 at all, it's a much harder choice.
I'm surprised, from what I read on the . magazines specially on MT, they felt more confortable putting all the power down on the ZL1 compared to the Z06 (white knucles) and fear of lossing control on the Z06 compared to the ZL1. And there's the reported overheating of the Z06. Also the Z06 A8 transmission is more prone to issues. Probably the external look and maybe the interiors look are much better on the Corvette. Both are great cars.
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport

Last edited by Bosse'sBoss; 09-12-2018 at 05:08 AM.
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 05:41 AM   #51
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
I'm surprised, from what I read on the . magazines specially on MT, they felt more confortable putting all the power down on the ZL1 compared to the Z06 (white knucles) and fear of lossing control on the Z06 compared to the ZL1. And there's the reported overheating of the Z06. Also the Z06 A8 transmission is more prone to issues. Probably the external look and maybe the interiors look are much better on the Corvette. Both are great cars.
From putting the power down perspective, I assume the heavier ZL1 chassis can tame some of the power a bit and put more weight over wheels and get the power to the ground. 650hp/650tq in a 3500lb car should be a white knuckled ride. I think that is really the net of it. The Z06 is basically overpowered, which is why many refer to the Grand Sport as the sweet spot in the Corvette line up. It has the wide body looks, Z06 grip and handling without being overpowered. No supercharger overheating issues and get a manual instead of the A8, while they still exist...

The ZL1 will be a little easier to get in and out of and has that incredible aggressive front fascia. I wish the rear end matched the front end in terms of aggressiveness.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 12:25 AM   #52
Gobi99

Drives: 2018 ZL1 vert
Best of both Worlds

I have a 17 GS and just purchased a 18 ZL1 vert on Monday. Love them both in different ways. Love the styling and handling of the GS. Love the room and hp of my convertible ZL1. Wow feel lucky to have both of these incredible rides!
Attached Images

Gobi99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 10:38 AM   #53
Can'tHave2MuchHP

ZL1 Power + GS handling and looks = Z06...
Old 09-15-2018, 02:33 PM   #54
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
ZL1 Power + GS handling and looks = Z06...
Exactly!
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:42 AM   #55
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z/Camaro View Post
Been having this problem of choice myself for a while. I was all set to trade my '12 Vette GS for the new '17 GS after initial desire from the masses wore off. Of course by then my ex, whom I'm still good friends with, got herself a new krypton green ZL1. She previously had a '14 1LE. Seeing and driving the new ZL1 I was suddenly not so sure about getting the Vette GS.

From what I've found most people will either tell you get the GS: 1) because it's a corvette (all ego/name/prestige) or 2) because the GS handles so nicely that you don't care it's not as fast (lighter car and therefore feels better). The arguement I get from the Camaro side is that the ZL1 will beat it in a straight line while still corning just as well.

I'm not a track guy by any means. I like to have fun with the car club or on my way to work. I do occasional auto-x or drag for fun, not competition. So while I will use the cars performance I will never be seeing the slight differences between the two. I can tell you that the ZL1 does have power on tap for ages while the Vette seems sufficient. For me it comes down to two things. The current Vette isn't that much better than my current Vette, so not sure I can justify the expense. The Zl1 on the other hand is cheaper than the base GS and comes fully loaded. Plus I'll get a car that actually feels better than my current car.

Driving my car vs the new vette I can tell it handles better and is faster, but it's marginal. Driving the ZL1 I'm surprise the car handles as well as it does for it's size/weight and it's dramatically faster than my current Vette. Plus there have been several cruises through the curves and my Ex has been right on my ass with the ZL1 with her later telling me that she could have gone faster. Fact of the matter is if I want a new GS I'll be looking at a car that is roughly 10k more for an equally equipped ZL1. I think I'll just go ZL1, save some money, and call it good.
And even more ZL1 benefits:

* More room inside and a usable trunk.
* It is an all day driver.

I just took my ZL1 on 2,500 mile hike to Florida with a couple of 900-1,000 mile days. It was very comfortable. These are Recaros?

Oh and girls like the ZL1 every bit as much as a Corvette.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:50 AM   #56
01cbr929

Drives: Which one?
I had a C7 prior to my ZL1 1LE, and I am glad I made the move. My C7 was my first "fun" car with a auto (a8), and I quickly grew bored of not being able to row my gears. I drive my fun car on average once a week... and I would rather have a car that is a little slower in the straight line but is much more engaging/rewarding to drive.

A C7 GS is a solid car, no doubt! Best thing I can recommend is test drive them both, and see if that provides any clarity. If handling is your number 1 priority then I know what I would choose given your options. Perhaps you should consider the ZL1 1LE unless its too raw for your tastes?
01cbr929 is offline   Reply With Quote