The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 08-18-2016, 02:59 PM   #15
CapeCruisin
Daily Driver 24/7 365

Drives: '15 CRT 2SS/RS/1LE
Shouldn't there be a piece of "sealed" tape on the door that opens to all the electronic guts?

Also, doesn't the culprit need to come back to retrieve the skimmer?

Attached Images

2014 RRM Camaro 1LT/RS A6/NPP CAI
Follow Me On Instagram!
CapeCruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:59 PM   #16
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherob View Post
LOL!!!!! If you really think that, you are just as easy to get scammed as the millions of others that have had their CC's swiped from Wendy's, McD's, Burger King, Target, BestBuy, Sears, and the list goes on... the lone employee who has a pocket skimmer is just as easy if not easier to swipe your card data as the skimmer in the pump.

Cash is King!!!!
Not if you swipe it yourself. Never hand over your card.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 03:05 PM   #17
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhagen View Post
Easy answer... just like that skimmer that is plugged in... do you see where that card reader cable terminates that you used? I didn't think so.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:14 PM   #18
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherob View Post
Easy answer... just like that skimmer that is plugged in... do you see where that card reader cable terminates that you used? I didn't think so.
That would mean that all the employees of the station were involved including the manager.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:35 PM   #19
sherob

Quote:
That would mean that all the employees of the station were involved including the manager.
Obliviously then, all of the other places where this has occurred, the managers and other employees where involved then... can't get anything by you!

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2013/10/n...ster-skimmers/

Old 08-18-2016, 05:12 PM   #20
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Cash sucks when riding as its so much easier to pull up, swipe, then pump and never get off the bike. Even better when I used to do bigger group rides. You know who is paying cash by the 2 trips inside holding everyone up. I mainly only ride with 2 or 3 other bikes at the most now.

I thought no if the penalties were harsher, it would stop some of it. Of course with the amount of welfare fraud and everything else, shitty people will still be out there.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 05:18 PM   #21
sherob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
Cash sucks when riding as its so much easier to pull up, swipe, then pump and never get off the bike. Even better when I used to do bigger group rides. You know who is paying cash by the 2 trips inside holding everyone up. I mainly only ride with 2 or 3 other bikes at the most now.

I thought no if the penalties were harsher, it would stop some of it. Of course with the amount of welfare fraud and everything else, shitty people will still be out there.
Yeah... when I was doing IBA rides, and it was O'dark thirty, CC at the pump was great, as long as you got a receipt. Then I realized those few minutes of walking in and stretching the legs to pay inside while grabbing a drink was even better... and I paid w/ cash, got a receipt too.

I learned the hard way, riding across several states at O'dark thirty, paying at random gas stations with a CC, was a fraud alert waiting to happen.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:39 PM   #22
Ledzepx

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro 6sp.
I got hit twice at a home depot. Same counter both times. Called the manager and told them. Yep sure enough he gets an email from corprate about cc scams. Lucky I got all my money back both times. Which were a week apart from each other. I only use cash now. Never bring my cards with me in there anymore.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:47 PM   #23
sherob

Look... unless you are totally off the grid and pay cash for everything, and obviously you're not if you're reading this or on this site, you are open to being scammed.

You can only make it extremely difficult for the bad guys to steal your info so they move on to another victim(s)... just like your Camaro, Mustang, or 4 wheel jewel that brought you here.

Just reality...

Old 08-18-2016, 10:27 PM   #24
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Good points sherob. My girl keeps a watch over everything like a hawk and so far so good, but anyone can be a victim.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 12:00 PM   #25
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Auto
Quote:
I've actually done a social experiment (didn't film it to put on Youtube however) where I dropped a 5 dollar bill on the ground on purpose almost 10 feet ahead of a couple behind me walking (made it so obvious by pulling it out my back pocket with my wallet in the back and of course made sure they looked by coughing real loud before pulling the wallet out.
For your next test you should superglue a dollar coin to the sidewalk, and video it this time around...

Last edited by yzark99; 08-21-2016 at 12:02 PM. Reason: brain freeze
yzark99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 03:42 PM   #26
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
skimmers are placed inside stores, and not by employees. One person distracts the other places the skimmer in 5 seconds.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:54 PM   #27
Skogen
Hell Yea!

Drives: 1969 Chevelle SS & 2012 2SSRS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KillerSS View Post
I got my pin number stolen by that same scam, took 500 bucks out of my checking account. Thankfully Bank of America gave me my money back.

A little piece of advice, use your debit card as credit, instead of debit, so you don't use your pin number, all you do is your zip code.

This is one of the reasons you use a credit card.
The fraud triggers on a credit card are different then a debt card. There is also more time to dispute the transaction in the case of fraud.

A debt card is historically a cash transaction, thus your time to dispute use is VERY limited.

Use a low limit CC and pay it off every month.

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Crystal Red Tintcoat - AGP 54/57 Twin Turbo with Meth injection. 704 RWHP.
2015 Chevrolet 2500 LTZ
1969 Chevelle SS396 - Numbers matching
Skogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:14 PM   #28
yellow69z28rs

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible Black
Send a message via AIM to yellow69z28rs
Can this thing be fingerprinted?
Can it be watched to see who retrieves it?
Look at the video if avail to see who planted it..
Bust them!!!

Rag Top Rob
yellow69z28rs is offline   Reply With Quote