The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 09-24-2023, 10:04 AM   #897
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
Did you give up on the lyriq?

I am considering bailing on the blazer EV and doing the model y

I have a Mach e std range as a commuter and have a potential life event in the works that requires more range
I stepped away from Lyriq the day I saw Blazer EV. Nothing wrong with Lyriq at all. If anything it is more car than we need. Blazer EV is spot on what we need and the specs for the SS exceeded my expectations. I still have a reservation for Blazer EV but probably won’t use it. We need to replace my wife’s car before the snow falls so that I can park my Camaro and MR2 and get back into my SRX. Blazer SS isn’t available until at least mid-2024 now. So we’re considering buying Bolt EUV and then switching over to Blazer SS when it’s available or just saying screw it and getting a Tesla.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Last edited by Martinjlm; 09-24-2023 at 10:16 AM.
Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 10:45 AM   #898
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
JMO from where I sit-

If you listen to pros and cons of EVs, there's merits to both. They'll brush off evidence as a one-off or simply overlook it, like so many other things people that want to love or not love something. So far promises haven't been keeping up with actual livibility/practicality.

Anecdotal evidence is strong when you see it (or don't see it) on the street. And I wasn't seeing a bunch of EVs running around in the UK/Ireland. And I was looking. Maybe they were at home charging or something. Didn't see them all over the streets over there. I did notice the car dealerships had a lot of new cars on them, some packed full. So it's not like cars of any type are flying off the lots best I could tell.

Granted, a lot of public transportation, but still, ICE on those. Sorry. Not feeling the wave. Barely a ripple. And just a handful of people fighting over one public charging station pole position was somewhat amusing. Because if sales keep going at this tidal wave effect, people will have to get out their hamster wheel and hook it to a generator to keep their car charged.

It's probably why PM Rishi Sunak was on TV the other day saying basically, when it came to infrastructure, they bit off more than they could chew and may have to revise goals a bit concerning EV and ICE production. Infrastructure support at this point is dreadful. Smartest man to get on TV lately and say what needed to be said. If it's true, it's going to be ok. You'll get there someday. But not tomorrow like the crazy zealots want it to.
One can make an argument for EVs, but the narrative seems to be out of sync with reality. I haven't seen any figures on repeat sales. That's what I'd consider a strong voice for something. They hype the "new thing" only to have it fizzle out because nobody wants them until forced to buy them, even though they still don't want them. They call it incentivizing, but let's call it what it is, forcing people to choose what they want you to have instead of what you want.

I stand by my original thoughts on this that the world isn't ready for the influx of new EVs, and EVs won't and can't be produced (yet) at the rate ICE cars are.

And hardly anyone talks about the risk side of owning an EV. They may here on this forum, but trust me, all the pro-EV people I've listened to conveniently avoid that subject. It's not an ICE car, so it will be different. How? Um...it's electric. So no emissions, right? Wrong. Oh, now Nissan modified its ads to say zero tailpipe emissions.

So, someday, when everyone has an EV and it costs you $65-75 or more to recharge it, will it have been worth it? It's crazy if you think about it. They pass a bill to inject a gazillion dollars toward infrastructure only to allow power companies to cry that it's not enough and they have to raise rates. Tell me that doesn't happen.

If you got money, don't worry about it. But if you're living paycheck to paycheck, there's probably an electric bus in your future. Or a tiny little johnny cab.

And just make sure your charging cord is long enough to reach outside. I don't think we're done with eternal flame risks just yet.

If I lived in the city in a condo or apartment, I'd worry about the folks with the electric bikes that bring them inside to charge them.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 10:52 AM   #899
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
There was a study released last week that finds most EV batteries will outlive the car.

In any event, the batteries are warranted for 8 years 100,000 miles. This is longer than most people typically keep their cars.
I completely agree that most people complaining about battery life are also the same people that buy a new car every 3-5 years anyway. That being said, I personally need to see way more studies done before I buy an electric car as my daily (will never get one as a fun car). I also won’t be buying any electric cars that are coming out in the next 5 years. I think electric cars are going to make a huge jump in improvement the 5 years after that when “batch 2” of electric cars come out. I’ve never been an early adopter of something and will never become one.

Something I currently find ridiculous with todays electric cars are when I am in my work parking lot I can hear the electric cars running with no one in them. I googled it and found out this is because the batteries get hot so they have to run their cooling systems even when they are not in use.

I find this completely ridiculous and believe a much better system will come out in the next 10 years.

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 11:02 AM   #900
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
I stepped away from Lyriq the day I saw Blazer EV. Nothing wrong with Lyriq at all. If anything it is more car than we need. Blazer EV is spot on what we need and the specs for the SS exceeded my expectations. I still have a reservation for Blazer EV but probably won’t use it. We need to replace my wife’s car before the snow falls so that I can park my Camaro and MR2 and get back into my SRX. Blazer SS isn’t available until at least mid-2024 now. So we’re considering buying Bolt EUV and then switching over to Blazer SS when it’s available or just saying screw it and getting a Tesla.
Same exact circumstance here except for that hibernation thing, so my wife will continue to drive the 2010 Tahoe until we make the decision on whether to pull the trigger on the Blazer SS or not. Cadillac blew it with me when I tried to get on their list for a Lyric and never called when it came available. Now they are calling and e-mailing all the time but like you the specs on the Blazer along with supercruise is the way to go.
Old 09-24-2023, 11:08 AM   #901
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess A View Post
If I lived in the city in a condo or apartment, I'd worry about the folks with the electric bikes that bring them inside to charge them.
By that logic you should also worry about charging your power tools inside. By the way I do worry about that. I charge them in my basement and place a cinder block around my chargers to contain any fires that MIGHT, but most likely won’t occur.

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 11:31 AM   #902
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
JMO from where I sit-

If you listen to pros and cons of EVs, there's merits to both. They'll brush off evidence as a one-off or simply overlook it, like so many other things people that want to love or not love something. So far promises haven't been keeping up with actual livibility/practicality.

Anecdotal evidence is strong when you see it (or don't see it) on the street. And I wasn't seeing a bunch of EVs running around in the UK/Ireland. And I was looking. Maybe they were at home charging or something. Didn't see them all over the streets over there. I did notice the car dealerships had a lot of new cars on them, some packed full. So it's not like cars of any type are flying off the lots best I could tell.

Granted, a lot of public transportation, but still, ICE on those. Sorry. Not feeling the wave. Barely a ripple. And just a handful of people fighting over one public charging station pole position was somewhat amusing. Because if sales keep going at this tidal wave effect, people will have to get out their hamster wheel and hook it to a generator to keep their car charged.

It's probably why PM Rishi Sunak was on TV the other day saying basically, when it came to infrastructure, they bit off more than they could chew and may have to revise goals a bit concerning EV and ICE production. Infrastructure support at this point is dreadful. Smartest man to get on TV lately and say what needed to be said. If it's true, it's going to be ok. You'll get there someday. But not tomorrow like the crazy zealots want it to.
One can make an argument for EVs,but the narrative seems to be out of sync with reality. I haven't seen any figures on repeat sales. That's what I'd consider a strong voice for something. They hype the "new thing" only to have it fizzle out because nobody wants them until forced to buy them, even though they still don't want them. They call it incentivizing, but let's call it what it is, forcing people to choose what they want you to have instead of what you want.
I lead one of the automotive consulting teams at S&P Global Mobility. One of the parallel consulting teams just did a study of Tesla brand loyalty. Here’s a few stats from Green Car Reports. They are quoting data from the S&P Global Mobility report. https://www.greencarreports.com/news...h-rivian-lucid

In summary,
  • 72.8% of Model 3 owners replace their cars with another Tesla
  • 59.9% of Model S owners replace their cars with another Tesla. Among those who don’t the most popular replacements are Lucid Air (EV), Rivian R1T (EV), Mercedes Benz EQS (EV), Rivian R1S (EV)
  • Customers replacing Model 3 and Model Y tat don’t stick with Tesla switch to Rivian more than any other brand, so still EV to EV.
  • The most popular replacement for Model 3 owners is Model Y

You may start seeing these statistics floating around, because a number of news outlets have started reporting on this. There’s also stats on hybrid owners being more likely to move up to EVs instead of back to ICE. The study also points out that Tesla Model Y has replaced Toyota Corolla as the top selling car in the world and that 74% of Model Y sales come from other brands. Then they tend to stay with Tesla for their next purchase.

Quote:
I stand by my original thoughts on this that the world isn't ready for the influx of new EVs, and EVs won't and can't be produced (yet) at the rate ICE cars are.

And hardly anyone talks about the risk side of owning an EV. They may here on this forum, but trust me, all the pro-EV people I've listened to conveniently avoid that subject. It's not an ICE car, so it will be different. How? Um...it's electric. So no emissions, right? Wrong. Oh, now Nissan modified its ads to say zero tailpipe emissions.

So, someday, when everyone has an EV and it costs you $65-75 or more to recharge it, will it have been worth it? It's crazy if you think about it. They pass a bill to inject a gazillion dollars toward infrastructure only to allow power companies to cry that it's not enough and they have to raise rates. Tell me that doesn't happen.

If you got money, don't worry about it. But if you're living paycheck to paycheck, there's probably an electric bus in your future. Or a tiny little johnny cab.

And just make sure your charging cord is long enough to reach outside. I don't think we're done with eternal flame risks just yet.

Charging infrastructure is certainly the wild card in all of this and will make or break the continued sales growth of EVs. If you are looking for an EV charger in California, Texas, Florida, or New York, you’ll probably not have any trouble finding one. If you’re looking for an EV charger in Wyoming, South Dakota, or Montana, probably not so easy. Yet.

Tesla making their chargers available to other brands is a sea change in the industry that will go a long way towards making buyers that were on the fence give more consideration to an EV as their next purchase. But at the end of the day, most EV owners do more than 90% of their charging at home. The need for public chargers is primarily to support long distance travel as well as those who live in multi-family housing without access to dedicated charging.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 12:02 PM   #903
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Not surprised. I have 10,000 miles on my ‘23 mach e and haven’t used a public charger yet. The range on this car is less than 200 miles in the winter
Old 09-24-2023, 12:28 PM   #904
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
Not surprised. I have 10,000 miles on my ‘23 mach e and haven’t used a public charger yet. The range on this car is less than 200 miles in the winter
No one buying an EV should even give a second thought about public charging when you have that at home. Makes for a great commuter car that goes home every night.
Old 09-24-2023, 01:41 PM   #905
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
By that logic you should also worry about charging your power tools inside. By the way I do worry about that. I charge them in my basement and place a cinder block around my chargers to contain any fires that MIGHT, but most likely won’t occur.
You have a different logic than I do. Apples and pears. I can toss my screwdriver out in the yard if it catches on fire. Not going to do that very easily with bicycle or a Bolt in the event they go roasted. Besides, if someone else puts my life on the line with charging their stuff in their own apartment, how would I know they were safely doing it? Risks to consider. I think it was NYC alone the first half of this year there were something like over 13 deaths attributed to e-bike fires? Not sure on that, but to me that's not good. Maybe they just don't report screwdriver battery pack fires.

I was very disappointed to find the battery pack in my Schumaker jump pack had swollen and busted the case on its own. Wasn't being charged or anything. Come to find out it's not uncommon (except Schumaker had never heard of it ????), so you have to watch for those kinds of anomalies.

The charging and "drop-in" replacement has to meet closer to the middle before the motoring public buys off on the EVs as a whole. Right now, many consider them toys for the rich, because of the current pricing structures.

I do applaud more companies getting on board with finding a COMMON plug to charge EVs with, so I guess because Tesla was out there first with the biggest footprint, everyone can use a Tesla configuration. So when you do find a station, you can plug it in. Even iPhone 15 is doing the USB-C plug now instead of the lightning cable.

My bet is there will be some new car battery power packs coming down the road that are safe, more compact, lightweight, releatively affordable, and carry lots of power. Someday. Whatever that technology looks like.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 08:16 AM   #906
docwra

Drives: 2015 Z28
Quote:
And I wasn't seeing a bunch of EVs running around in the UK/Ireland. And I was looking.
I did notice the car dealerships had a lot of new cars on them, some packed full. So it's not like cars of any type are flying off the lots best I could tell.
Dont know when or where you were but I reckon every 10th car I see on the road is electric now, moreso in cities.
We also have at least a 6 month wait for ANY new car, electric BMWs are up to 24 months, I think they are selling cars TBH.

Quote:
Because if sales keep going at this tidal wave effect, people will have to get out their hamster wheel and hook it to a generator to keep their car charged.
We are paying 7 pence per kWH to charge our e-tron at home. Thats about USD 10 per "tank" of fuel. No-one has suggested theres any possibility of running out of power.
How you charge the car from a block of flats, now that one .........

Quote:
It's probably why PM Rishi Sunak was on TV the other day saying basically, when it came to infrastructure, they bit off more than they could chew and may have to revise goals a bit concerning EV and ICE production.
No, that was because hes a liar and his party have no ****ing idea what they are doing, not because net zero isnt possible.

Quote:
One can make an argument for EVs, but the narrative seems to be out of sync with reality. I haven't seen any figures on repeat sales.
Every person I know with an EV is intending to replace with another EV. Everyone.

Quote:
How? Um...it's electric. So no emissions, right? Wrong. Oh, now Nissan modified its ads to say zero tailpipe emissions.
Where would you prefer emissions to be produced, where your kids play and go to school or in the middle of nowhere? And UK is currently 30% renewable power generation, Norway sits at 98%.

Im not saying Im an expert but I own an EV, and live in country with renewable power generation where 20% of new car sales are electric. I reckon we are ~5 years further down the road than the USA and they are becoming a viable choice for more and more people
As Ive said before, the infrastructure needs improving and the cars have their faults, but as a concept I dont understand why they get hated on so much, the positive definitely outweigh the negatives.
docwra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 10:40 AM   #907
Gen6cyl

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2021 ,rs, v6, manual
IC because if our country was run properly we could have $2 gal gas.
Old 10-03-2023, 08:06 AM   #908
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwra View Post

Where would you prefer emissions to be produced, where your kids play and go to school or in the middle of nowhere?
From the perspective of climate change, which is the whole reason for the big EV push, it doesn't matter.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 06:41 PM   #909

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Here's the article to go with that pic in the other thread....Diesel is a supplement for hi demand, which cannot be met by solar or the grid...(looks real impressive, though!...lol)

https://cowboystatedaily.com/2023/09...ed-generators/

Superchargers charge vehicles up to the 80% sweet spot in as little as 20 minutes, but to provide that kind of power for nearly 100 bays takes something solar can’t provide — diesel generators.

Investigative journalist Edward Niedermeyer discovered that the station was powered by diesel generators hidden behind a Shell station. Reporters at SF Gate tried to find out how much of the station's electricity was from the generators, but couldn’t get a response from Tesla.

The station isn’t connected to any dedicated solar farms, which means that absent the diesel generators, the station is powered by California’s grid.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 07:16 PM   #910

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Diesel-Electric Locomotives have been around for quite a while...a diesel engine driving an alternator that produces electricity to run electric motors...That seems more efficient than the diesel engine driving the wheels....Not sure how that equates to diesel charging batteries at an EV station....

Anyhoo what I've read seems to concede that diesel generators will be needed at EV charging stations as a supplement and back-up as the grid or solar/wind electrical supply isn't and won't always be enough or reliable full time.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote