Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-30-2021, 03:55 PM   #1
b4wheeler

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS Vert
Where did I go wrong?

I bought my camaro in 2015 and immediately got the bug to modify.

This is an illness that I have and cannot leave anything alone. I have always lifted my 4x4 trucks, modified any engine in any car to make more power.

So naturally I started down this path with my Camaro.

First thing I did was go crazy detailing her, she was clean, but not my kind of clean.

Next I started on the performance with a cold air intake.
I couldn't stop there and I did an axle back exhaust.
That just opened a can of worms. I didn't like the sound, so I ventured through a few more combinations before I settled on a Borla muffler.
I replaced the stock L99 exhaust, with the huge resonator, with a stock LS3 exhaust from the manifolds to the muffler.
Then we had to go even deeper and add a set of LT headers and a tune.

Now that I have got my fair share of easy bolt-on performance, time for the appearance mods.

THis is where I went wrong..

First I lowered the car about an inch and a half.
This went well and it rode as expected. A little bouncy, but as expected.
Then came the GFX body kit. Got for a great price and got a great deal on the paint. Love the way it turned out so I added a Z28 style spoiler.

I figured I was done. Added LEDs to the DRLs, interior underglow. That was about it…

But something got up my ass and I think I took it toooo far.
For some reason I wanted and had to have Lambo doors (hold your comments). So I found a good deal on a set and tried to install them. Wrong. I can see how doing this on a coupe would be easy. You can just tape the door to the roof and it will stay there. Convertibles don't have roofs that you can tape to, so now the hinges are on and the doors are out of alignment.

I drove like this for a while and enjoyed the car.
Now what goes better with lambo doors than a reverse hood. Not hard at all, and looks good with the doors..

You would think I could leave it alone now and just enjoy it and drive it.

Nope.

Stupid me decides that I need Air ride. And before starting on that, I now need a 2019 ZL1 front bumper conversion.
Air ride was not as easy to install on the garage floor as I thought.

Well this is where she sits. For almost two years.

Now I did move, break my knee and was hospitalized with Covid in the last 6 months, but that does not excuse the year prior to that.

Somehow I drove the car with the pressure too low and blew out the front bags. Those are replaced, but now I am terribly afraid to drive it for fear this will happen again.

So I have resolved to the fact that I just need to de-mod completely and just drive the car and enjoy it.

Remove the Lambo doors, remove the air ride( this will suck and be sad) - waster of time and money.

Reinstall the loweriung springs with new shocks designed for the springs, install the wheels that I want, and drive.

I hesitate to do much engine modification for fear of ending up in the same place…….

I wrote this at work, so my grammar may be off. But feel free to comment away.

Thick skin applied

Old 04-30-2021, 04:19 PM   #2
prod

Drives: HHR
Hey, nothing wrong with cosmetic mods, but if you havent done the lambo doors thing before, it is never as simple as it looks. It takes time, effort and research to do things right. Same with the air ride, and then you have to be careful driving it.
Hindsight is 20/20, so take what you have learned and move forward.
If you do get into engine mods, dont worry, you have the right car for it.
prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 05:17 PM   #3
SS376

Drives: 2013 1SS LS3
Yeah, I think you went too far. Modding can definitely get addictive, but look on the bright side, you still did less damage than if it was heroin you were addicted to. Whatever you do, don't add up what it all cost you
SS376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 09:45 PM   #4
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Why does this read like an OLD Penthouse Forum column to me? For those of you old enough to remember...Met this hot chick, started buying her things and dating her, then things got serious but after many romps with the new ‘hardware’, things went south and I had my regrets I ever got involved.

This might be the closest post to conjuring that old memory for me. If it’s real, sorry, man, for the pain. If it’s not, bravo on great, fictional post!
Old 05-01-2021, 04:04 AM   #5
Ashen L99

Drives: Ashen grey, 1SS, L99
I think everything you did was just fine, and the bags blowing out is just a case of live and learn. I’ve got two friends down in oklahoma city that have bags and daily their cars. Nothing wrong there. Don’t let the negative experiences turn you off of doing what you, and many of us, love!
Roto-fab CAI, Nick Williams 102mm TB, LOD X1 V3 intake manifold, GMPP LS3 heads, Night Fury cam, TSP 2” long tubes, Corsa ZL-1 catback, Nitrous Outlet 102mm plate kit/150 shot, NGK BR7EF plugs with Taylor plug wires, DSX flex fuel kit, ZL-1 fuel pump and injectors, B&M deep trans pan, Yank 3400 converter, 3.45s with BMR Delrin bushings, mishimoto 169° Thermostat, GM ground effects, T-Rex upper grill, Z/28 Spoiler, Lolly pop Lime brake calipers, ZL1 10 spoke wheels, 12” subwoofer, and custom paint matched interior.
Ashen L99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 06:33 AM   #6
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Engine seems pretty livable now...BUT...since you have an L99, add a converter (GPI's 278mm 3200 works fantastic) and some 3.91 gears in the back, and then you'll be done. This setup (in my opinion) is killer and is an awesome balance while not too extreme.

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 06:57 AM   #7
gunchamp

Drives: 15 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
Why does this read like an OLD Penthouse Forum column to me? For those of you old enough to remember...Met this hot chick, started buying her things and dating her, then things got serious but after many romps with the new ‘hardware’, things went south and I had my regrets I ever got involved.

This might be the closest post to conjuring that old memory for me. If it’s real, sorry, man, for the pain. If it’s not, bravo on great, fictional post!
Haha, right? Was getting the same vibe
15 Camaro SS- GPI max top end, ESS Vortech V3 9psi, ID 1050s, ZL1 pump, JMS bap, Long tubes, Corsa extreme, Circle D pro 5C, 391 rear, DSS carbon drive shaft, poly cradle bushings, tuned by Ted Jannetty and much much more
gunchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 07:32 AM   #8
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
If you read my build list you’ll see I’m not as “mildly” modified as I claim to be. Yes there’s more in store and yes the car has far more in it than I’ll ever get back out, but the mods I’ve done I’ve waited to mod so that I’m sure I want them. The only mod I ever “impulse” bought was my cold air intake and that was because it was the exact one I wanted and it was gently used from a forum member here who sold their car so I don’t regret it.

All of that being said, make a list of everything you have done to the car. Look through it and see what you regret and see what you actually like. It sounds like the Lambo doors was a regret and surprisingly so was the air bag setup. MANY people go through exhaust systems and while I love my catback I originally bought, I ended up cutting some of it up to add some diverters/cutouts this past year. My only regret with them is I can’t get back under the car right now to adjust one of them from occasionally rattling on a heat shield. (100% on me 0% on Noweeds.)

Good luck with your demodding and hopefully you’ll dial the car in the way you want it soon.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 10:12 AM   #9
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
The problem is that by definition and nature, car enthusiast usually want to modify or "improve" their cars. In the old days, this was almost necessary to improve performance. Nowadays, modern cars are so dialed in that most of them have more performance than the typical person can reasonably use on the street or within the driver's ability, but we still have it in our blood to try to get a few more ticks of performance. As a result we often end up just wasting money or worse, screwing up things.

Case in point, CAI and exhausts. I did a lot of research and at best, adding a CAI or exhaust, at the cost of maybe a grand or two, especially without specific tuning, will add what, a tenth? Meanwhile you put up with the added maintenance versus a throwaway filter or in the case of a poorly designed exhaust, the drone. I changed over to a 1LE suspension and it handles a bit better than stock, but even that may be just a figment of my mind since it's not like I'm tracking the car.

Maybe it's because I've gotten older, but now I focus more on just enjoying driving the car as-is more than I think of doing any major mods. I think it's also because these cars are really good right out the box, so unless you're going for a specific higher performance goals, you're either wasting money or doing mods out of pure personal satisfaction of doing something, which is still ok. Hell, I get enjoyment out of a day of applying old fashioned paste wax and now you can do the ceramic thing in an hour and it's better than the old school way, but guess what? I'm getting the carnauba out next week!

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts - Current
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 05:08 AM   #10
hudson773
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 camaro SS
maybe you should refer to this chart
Attached Images

hudson773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 07:39 AM   #11
Badfinger

Drives: 2010 2SS
Badfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 07:48 AM   #12
joshnmn
2&THEHIT

Drives: 5th Gen Camaro; 5th Gen Ram 3500
To me different is great. Even a dead fish can swim downstream (let that sink in for a while). I’m always doing things that are opposite of what everyone else does. I may not agree with everything you have done but I certainly respect you for doing it.

I think your car is pretty awesome, save the lambo doors
joshnmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 03:35 PM   #13
tomlink

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
Send a message via Skype™ to tomlink
Quote:
Originally Posted by hudson773 View Post
maybe you should refer to this chart
tomlink is offline   Reply With Quote